Graham Slee Solo SRG (with PSU1) Impressions
May 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #76 of 118
I agree the MKIV SE doesn't go as deep but the midrange is very nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #77 of 118
kds5000;5650917 said:
No, I haven't heard the old Solo unfortunately. However, I'm sure the Solo signature didn't change with the new version so I'm pretty confident it'll apply to the old version too.

I just sold my 2007 Solo and purchased the SRG. I can confirm that the Solo's signature remains the same. Have not had the SRG more than 4 days so can't comment on a comparison yet but it does seem better from new than the 2007 did(from new)

May 1, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #79 of 118
I'm not technically minded realy, I know my Opamps and build a few Cmoys etc but where electronics are concerned I'm not qualified or remotely gifted. Can anyone tell me why the PSU1 makes such a difference to the SQ?

Untill recently I had been using the intro with the standard/intro PS. Following the purchase of AH-D7000's I thought it time to upgrade to the PSU1 and boy am I glad I did.......but how does a PSU make such a difference?

May 1, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #80 of 118
First the PSU1 is a fully regulated power supply. Next it is not a switching unit which avoids the excess "energy" caused by the high frequency conversion. If your unit is not grounded while using the switching psu try running your finger lightly over the amp, you will feel a tingling sensation, this is the excess energy. For a technical explanation visit Graham's site.

May 1, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #81 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kds5000 I have been burning in the Solo SRG, yesterday it reached the 500 hour mark. I expect to have my impression up by Sunday. The short version of the write-up is: AMAZING!

Nice!!! Looking forward to reading your impressions Miguel! Have a great weekend.

May 2, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #83 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when ordering for the USA, what mains voltage do we choose? 110-120 or 220-240?

The US voltage is 110-120V. 220-240V is the European voltage (and for some other places). Get the 110-120V one.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #85 of 118
Ok, here are the first two parts of my three part impressions on the Solo SRG w/ PSU1. Should have the third and last part by next Sunday, May 10th of 2009.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

[size=small]Part I:[/size]

On May 2, 2009 my Graham Slee Solo SRG and its PSU1 ( Solo SRG Headphone Amplifier: Solo Studio Reference Green Headphone Amplifier ) reached its 550th hour of burn in. Thus I decided to start some comparisons using various cans and music. You will notice that I will put a lot of picture and I hope they break the monotony of reading. Specifically for this round I used:

1.Ultrasone HFI-780 which has been re-cabled by Alex of APureSound ( APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure - APS Audio LLC. ) using a 7 foot long V3 silver plated wires covered in techflex and terminated in a ¼” Neutrik plug. The diode board in the HFI-780 has been removed and the pleather pads have been re-placed w/ a set of velour pads made by Beyerdynamic for the DT250/280.
2.Denon AH-D5000 that has been modded by MarkL ( Home ) including a pair of his V4 Bubinga wood cups installed. The cable is the stock one.

dscn0669.jpg

dscn0549withBubingaCups3Pic1.jpg

The music is stored via iTunes as Apple Lossless files on my Dell desktop. I use a glass optical cable to connect a Chaintech AV710 to a Monarchy NM24 DAC. Since most of you use SS DACs I used the SS DAC output of the Monarchy to feed the amps. As far as music for this first round I chose Diana Krall, specifically the following albums.

1.All For You: A Dedication to the Nat King Cole Trio
2.From This Moment On
3.The Girl In The Other Room

413845Q2EML._SL500_AA240_.jpg
321772f33f59477b871fd176d9f60d84.jpg
41QDRK55W1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

As of now I have three additional solid-state amps at the house. However one of these is a Graham Slee Novo powered by a switching wall wart. So I decided to use a highly modified Jaycar Amp (Australian based amp) and a highly modified Musical Fidelity X-Can V2. For those not familiar with the Jaycar it starts life as a kit sold by an electronics store in Australia. It is sold in two parts; the amp section and the power supply, to this you must add the transformer, case, volume pot, on/off switch, and rca’s.

Stereo Headphone Distribution Amplifier - Jaycar Electronics

productLarge_9037.jpg

Headphone Amplifier Power Supply Kit - Jaycar Electronics

productLarge_9038.jpg

The Jaycar I own was built by a very knowledgeable “old codger” who proceeded to highly tweak the unit by using better components, not necessarily boutique but definite upgrades. He also added a board to eliminate the ripples in the power supply, JLH board and a stepped attenuator. Note my unit uses a metal LM4562HA, pic below.

AttenuatorPinLocation.jpg
MetalLM4562HAPic2.jpg

The internals of the finished Jaycar looks like.

dscn0607.jpg

The second amp I used started life as a basic Musical Fidelity X-Can V2. This amp has fallen out of favor and to be honest not many cared for it outside of Great Britain. This is IMO a pity because it is a killer amp with just a few mods, and what better mods than those developed by PinkFloyd (Mike Grierson). His mods have evolved over many years of tweaking followed by listening. The mods done to my V2 include:

1.Ultrafast Diodes
2.Panasonic FM/FC 105C capacitors
3.Evox Polypropylene capacitors
4.Since my sources do not output DC I removed the DC blocking caps w/ wires w/ ferrites (lowered floor noise)
5.Reduced the gain from about 9 to 5.7
6.Alps volume pot
7.Replaced power supply transistors w/ ZTX853/953
8.New Jalco ¼” headphone jack
9.Purple light (just for fun)
10.Dampen the bottom interior of the case with dynamat
11.Using Russian 6H23EB valves
12.Using the latest Little Pinkie V3i PSU

FerriteBeadsAnd47KohmPic1.jpg
DSCN0476.jpg

Lastly here are some beauty shots of the Graham Slee Solo SRG.

dscn0665.jpg

DSCN0667.jpg

DSCN0668.jpg

As you can see by the pictures the Solo SRG has two inputs that are user selectable via a toggle switch in the front panel. You will also notice there is a ground post on the back panel, this is meant mostly for those who use the switching wall wart. Although I have the upgraded power supply (PSU1) I still run a wire from the ground post on the back of the Solo SRG to a ground post on the back of my Monster HTS 3500 MkII. Lastly there is no on/off power switch, according to Graham the unit is intended to be kept on at all times, if this bothers you then it is easy to unplug the PSU1.

The Solo SRG w/ PSU1 sells for 425.11 PB plus 39.37 PB with expedited SH to the USA. The price has remained relatively stable, however the BP has regained some of its strength. Thus an amp, which could have been bought for well under $600, a couple of months ago will now set you back close to $700. I wish I had a $650-$800 solid state amp to compare with the Solo SRG so I could comment on value, sadly I will only be able to comment on its sound.

However I have asked three members of Head-Fi and it appears two have already agreed to put the solo through its paces, I know one owns a solid-state amp that retails for over $1,250. This brings the question if it is “fair” to compare an item with another that retails for almost twice as much. Personally I would feel more comfortable if it was closer to 20% difference but I also know we go crazy in this hobby and what started as a $100 headphone ends up in a $2,500 expenditure.

So over two pages of “stuff” and yet nothing on how the Solo SRG w/ PSU1 sounds? So where should I start? I think with the soundstage, it is very wide and deep w/ openness to the presentation that keeps you coming back for more. The music is presented in such a way that every note has its place and makes for a very engaging and enjoyable listening experience.

Although people talk about bass and treble extension the reality is that most of the music is in the mids. This is one area where the Solo SRG excels at; it is very clear and detailed w/ lots of air in between the notes. As stated earlier the soundstage is wide and deep, this makes for a very easy exercise to place the instruments as well as allowing the singer “the room” to strut his/her stuff. All of this allows you to pick-up the start and end of notes, for example cymbals and hi-hats. In other words it is very musical and it presents the material with excellent control and micro detail. All of this IMO makes for non-fatiguing listening sessions, yes it keeps you tied listening to your favorite music.

There is excellent treble extension this allows for notes to cut through and for the listener to place the various instruments. The amp kept its composure and remained tight and articulate.

The bass is tight and goes deep, although at times it is a bit light. What it has is very clean and punchy while staying in control. I found that once I stopped listening to the bass as compared to other amps it did not seem lean at all, actually it was at times a bit much with the Ultrasone headphone.

More to come.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

[size=small]Part II:[/size]

I am back, hoping to provide meaningful feedback on the Solo SRG. Today is Sunday, May 03, 2009 and I will be using my trustworthy Grado RS-1. It will be accompanied by a Denon AH-D2000, which has had the MarkL mods and one of his V4 Bubinga wood cups. But wait! Isn’t this the same as the D5000 used yesterday? Well, I left a piece of information out
wink.gif
… the D2000 has been re-cabled by HiFLYiN9. He used a 24 gage silver-plated copper cable, it is a 10 foot long and it is terminated in a ¼” plug. You can read more about the Xev cable at: Zynsonix - Headphone Recabling Service

Here are some “beauty shots” of the two headphones used today.

dscn0678.jpg

RS1.jpg

As far as music goes I decided to use different artist, although all are in the jazz genre. These are:

1.Modern Jazz Quatet – Pyramid
2.Moss – Moss
3.Najee – Share My World

31NF42CAS2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
41TVzX4Lv8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
41CZ6P38YRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The rest of the music chain remained unchanged from yesterday. Hopefully this will allow for some consistency in this process. Although I did forget to mention the Monarchy NM24 DAC is being fed power via a Monarchy AC Regenerator.

One thing I did not mention yesterday is that I listen at very low volumes. Rarely do the peaks in the headphones play reach 75 dB with over 95% of the time below 70 dB. As you can imagine the “average” music passages are in the low to mid 60’s dB. This measured with a sound pressure meter I purchased at Radio Shack. I hope the low level listening does not produce results significantly different from those who listen at LOUD levels. As stated yesterday I hope the other testers will be able to add their feedback including how “loud” they listen.

Today’s comparison pretty much validated all I heard yesterday, except one characteristic I will discuss later. As you can tell by my music selection I listen mostly to jazz, although occasionally I listen to classical, new age, and easy listening. I believe that all this genres of music will benefit from the Solo SRG. This because of its ability to have a wide and deep soundstage which when combined with the airy and detailed presentation envelops the listener. Also this types of music are by nature extended and fast, abilities which IMO the Solo SRG has a plenty.

I have not spoken of how quickly the Solo SRG responds, as the various jazz passages get more complex or revert to a solo rendition it demonstrates its ability to quickly transition and portray the music in a cohesive and engaging way. The word “musical” keeps coming back and it truly describes the sound I hear.

As I recall many aficionados to headphone listening have stated on many occasions that Grado headphones do best with tube amps or warm solid-state amps. Otherwise they will sound shrill and the treble will be too energetic to be a pleasurable experience. I also remember reading that if a solid-state amp is properly designed and built it will produce beautiful music. Thus it would reproduce the music in such a manner that it would not be shrill or fatiguing to the user.

Until recently I have felt the same that is that Grado headphones need a tube amp. Thankfully I have had an opportunity to listen to a few solid-state amps that have changed my opinion. Since I do not have those solid-state amps on hand to do a side by side I will not mention their brand, although I will say that few have all the characteristics of the Solo SRG: wide & deep soundstage, airy & detailed mids, clear & extended highs, and an organic presentation which combine to a very musical and engaging amp. No I lied, I will mention the name it was a Blue Circle Amp belonging to a friend. His unit was modified by the vendor for his particular needs. BTW this unit sells for quite a bit more than the Solo SRG, perhaps I could borrow to do a side by side. I also hope you all understand that what may be good to me may not be to you, we all hear differently and have different expectations of what good sounds like.

Well, back to the one characteristic that I was not able to validate: bass. Today marks the 24th consecutive day of burn in, or over 575 hours. You would think any amp would have stopped changing; well it appears that is not the case. The available bass continues to be deep, tight, and punchy. However there appears to be more of it, do not know if the perceived change is due to the two headphones being used today, 24 hours of additional burn in, different music, or just getting used to the sound signature. I will report back on my last installment, using a much harder to drive can (AKG K501 w/ a 10 foot V3 APureSound re-cable terminated in a ¼” Furutech plug).

More to come.

May 4, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #88 of 118
Yes great review. I am thinking about pulling the trigger in this amp with the PSU. However, I own the RSA HR-2 and I am kind of afraid a solid state amp in this price range won't be able to out perform it (for my taste). Anyone who has the Solo SRG ever listen to the HR-2 to compare?

May 4, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #89 of 118
Great review. How does it compare to some tube amps you've tried?

May 5, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #90 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review. How does it compare to some tube amps you've tried?

So far it has bested the highly modded X-Can V2 (with the current tubes). I will try to compare it w/ a Singlepower MPX3 this coming weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back