Grado's w/ other genres?
Jul 27, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #31 of 32
I had a 225i for more than 2 years and really like and respect it capabilities. Sure they won't be at their best with everything all of the time, but far more often than not they will do a very good job reproducing the music you feed them. Every design has strengths and compromises. The uber high-end cans just have fewer and less noticeable compromises. Please take into account the actual quality of the music you play, garbage in garbage out. I mean that not directed at rock (even though many rock recordings are so very painful and lack dynamics) I just mean that much of the time the recording will significantly influence the final sound quality (captain obvious I know).

The Grado sound is a double edged sword to be sure, when you get a well recorded source and other things in the chain aren't a problem the extra presentation in the mids and highs can be fabulous, however, really bright, highly compressed recordings will be revealed in all of their sonic purgatory just as much. I started with the 125, moved to the 225i, then finally to the HF2 which I still have and love. The 225 is a great can and an excellent way to audition the Grado sound. I loved how I could go right from my iPod video and still get very good sound with the 225. Recently I have been enjoying my DT 880 600ohm phones, but I find going between them and the HF2 to be very easy. Enjoy the Grado sound with all kinds of music, most of the time you will be very pleased. Eventually step into another sound signature and enjoy the diversity of design philosophies available!

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #32 of 32

Quote:

I've tested a lot of headphones and I know my scales are correct.

Now, they are bland and boring right out of the box. But the driver is amazing.

1. You need custom earpads to increase ear to driver distance and large enough to move the bass around.

2. Dampen the inside like a madman

3. dampen the driver like a madman

4. add solid with soft features in a layer on the inside

and you have $700 cans for $75.

My T50RP are between HD650's and LCD-2's. 

That looks complicated, are parts easy to access  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back