Grados utterly horrible customer "service"
May 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #31 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that some of you really understand his point. To me, customer service must be top notch, no less than that. It doesn't have to be that you get some replay where they are licking your asss, no, just keep it simple, but at professional, bu most important, customer friendly level, done.

X2, especially with these ridiculous pricy niche products. I always thought that a certain amount you paid for the product is actually for the customer service?

May 12, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #32 of 75
I am most certainly not a Grado customer. You will have to pay me to get Grados which I will promptly then sell.

Either way, anyone in business knows how you formulate your sentences and wording can equal to a successful relationship or a failed one. Also employees realize they are a representative of the company they work for. Which is why whenever I need to send an important written response, even an email I have at least one other person proof read. We all do it at our business.

As someone stated before, what's a business without customers? Customer service should always be paramount. The last software company I worked for had more tech support and customer service representatives than they had programmers. As they made almost all their money through the maintenance program, providing prompt and up to date customer service.

Each company runs differently. Grado obviously has figured out something as there are so many Head-Fiers don't really care, they keep buying Grados and spending $1,700 dollars on something, no questions asked. Without knowing how it's constructed, what kind of research is behind the headphone. Just throw their money at Grado and think nothing more of it it seems.

Good luck, enjoy your Grados.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2, especially with these ridiculous pricy niche products. I always thought that a certain amount you paid for the product is actually for the customer service?

I agree vvanrij. Have any of you even looked at the HD650? It's essentially plastic. Well designed though so that it can be deconstructed and parts repaired in just a few minutes. But then look at the driver. Very simple. Two powerful magnets, with space just small enough to allow the voice coil inside to vibrate. The dome and the diaphragm looks like just a really thin, molded plastic. That's it, there really isn't anything else to it. And yet we are spending $400 for this.

Those of you who think it's worth $2000 to spend on your amp, great, good for you. Talk about the research and blah blah. I look inside the latest Desktop, hand picked. The heat sink alone seems more elaborate than anything in an amp. The power source is massive at 800 watts. With dual video cards using the most finite micro manufacturing technology, we are talking about nanometers. Holycrap! And then the CPU technology is just mind blowing. All this for less than what it costs for a bunch of tubes. And then Head-Fi gaggles over the point to point soldering as if that can be compared to anything that is even in a flat screen television at 40 inches now costing less than $400?

So yes I agree, with technology that is very primitive and research lacking. Construction decent, and parts alright. Most of prices seems to be just boutique and inflated by audiophiles who don't even know what it is they are buying.

Customer Service in this audio business should be the best and formost for every company. As they really don't have much else to justify their prices.

May 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #33 of 75
A quick and concise response isn't irritating to me. The way Germancub phrased it, it sounded like he was wishing for free repairs and miffed that he had to pay.

May 12, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #34 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am most certainly not a Grado customer. You will have to pay me to get Grados which I will promptly then sell.

Either way, anyone in business knows how you formulate your sentences and wording can equal to a successful relationship or a failed one. Also employees realize they are a representative of the company they work for. Which is why whenever I need to send an important written response, even an email I have at least one other person proof read. We all do it at our business.

As someone stated before, what's a business without customers? Customer service should always be paramount. The last software company I worked for had more tech support and customer service representatives than they had programmers. As they made almost all their money through the maintenance program, providing prompt and up to date customer service.

Each company runs differently. Grado obviously has figured out something as there are so many Head-Fiers don't really care, they keep buying Grados and spending $1,700 dollars on something, no questions asked. Without knowing how it's constructed, what kind of research is behind the headphone. Just throw their money at Grado and think nothing more of it it seems.

Good luck, enjoy your Grados.

I agree vvanrij. Have any of you even looked at the HD650? It's essentially plastic. Well designed though so that it can be deconstructed and parts repaired in just a few minutes. But then look at the driver. Very simple. Two powerful magnets, with space just small enough to allow the voice coil inside to vibrate. The dome and the diaphragm looks like just a really thin, molded plastic. That's it, there really isn't anything else to it. And yet we are spending $400 for this.

Those of you who think it's worth $2000 to spend on your amp, great, good for you. Talk about the research and blah blah. I look inside the latest Desktop, hand picked. The heat sink alone seems more elaborate than anything in an amp. The power source is massive at 800 watts. With dual video cards using the most finite micro manufacturing technology, we are talking about nanometers. Holycrap! And then the CPU technology is just mind blowing. All this for less than what it costs for a bunch of tubes. And then Head-Fi gaggles over the point to point soldering as if that can be compared to anything that is even in a flat screen television at 40 inches now costing less than $400?

So yes I agree, with technology that is very primitive and research lacking. Construction decent, and parts alright. Most of prices seems to be just boutique and inflated by audiophiles who don't even know what it is they are buying.

Customer Service in this audio business should be the best and formost for every company. As they really don't have much else to justify their prices.

Nicely put there. Especially the part of the PC components

May 12, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #35 of 75
That warm fuzzy prewritten email that you got from Sennheisser had no more meaning to it than the Grado reply. At least Grado was keeping it real.

Honestly, the only reason they felt you wrote what a wonderful customer you were was to get a free repair. They are obviously busy and get lots of emails, he made it clear they aren't charity... your just mad that you had to pay.... sorry but it's time to let it go... I see no foul here except on your part for starting the thread because Grado didn't give you an artificial warm and fuzzy.

May 12, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #36 of 75
Quote:

to anything that is even in a flat screen television at 40 inches now costing less than $400?

A $400 40" TV is going to be terrible. I've got a Pioneer and it's worth it over the cheaper brands, which I bought it in the past.

May 12, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #37 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A $400 40" TV is going to be terrible. I've got a Pioneer and it's worth it over the cheaper brands, which I bought it in the past.

Truthfully, after reading your earlier posts in this thread, I really have no idea why you've even posted in this thread.

I run and manage a kid's program that deals with children that are aged 5-13 that also does birthday parties. Let me tell you, I spend more time with parents than I do with the kids.

I work with the kids, manage all the camps that runs during the break, and as someone offering services to others, you have to be nice.

A few smiles here or there, thank you for coming, we appreciate your business, we hope to see you again, hope to hear from you again etc.

These short statements can really change a customers opinion of a company.

You can be blunt, and straight to the point, but there's no rule saying that you can't be polite while doing that.

May 12, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #38 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That warm fuzzy prewritten email that you got from Sennheisser had no more meaning to it than the Grado reply. At least Grado was keeping it real.

Honestly, the only reason they felt you wrote what a wonderful customer you were was to get a free repair. They are obviously busy and get lots of emails, he made it clear they aren't charity... your just mad that you had to pay.... sorry but it's time to let it go... I see no foul here except on your part for starting the thread because Grado didn't give you an artificial warm and fuzzy.

An artificial warm and fuzzy is better than no warm and fuzzy at all.

Even if he might've came off sounding like a charity case there's no reason for the company to be rude. I'm not saying they were because I have not read the email myself, but I'm talking about in general

May 12, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #39 of 75
Yes, but do understand that Grado is a family run business. They get hundreds, possibly thousands of email each day regarding repairs. They don't have automated email response, and probably have to read through all those emails everyday, on top of production. They need to sleep, eat, and spend time with family too.

Plus, request to repair/warranty emails are probably the last of their priority, they have other potential customers to deal with, too.

May 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #40 of 75
Yeah all those latino workers, John must have went and just adopted a ton of new adults lately.

You also realize that Beyerdynamics is also a family run business and they seem to well lack all the problems Grado has. Interesting... Family run is not an excuse!

May 12, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #41 of 75
My experience was much better. I boxed the headphones up, with a discription of the problem, and a copy of the sales reciept. Called a few days later to acknowledge that they had been recieved. No problems. They even fixed them even though the warrenty had expired without charge.

I have not read the email either, but I do think some folks expect instant replys and when they don't get exactly what they want, they get upset.

By the way, you mentioned how much money you have spent with the company. Do you expect better service than someone who bought a set of 60s or the same?

May 12, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #42 of 75
If you have a problem with Grado customer service, why don't you tell them that instead of blabbing to us here? If your experience was truly bad, then how can there be resolution unless you confront Grado about it? All you will receive here is either going to be sympathy or you're going to get slammed. I suggest you turn your attention to working directly with Grado and away from the forum...

May 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #43 of 75
I didn't find anything wrong about their reply, you can use money order as they mentioned.

I had a pair of broken GS1000 before, since it was under warranty, I contacted Grado for warranty repair, they forwarded my email to Canadian distributor(Audio Group) and my headphone was fixed.

It broke again later and I emailed Grado directly and asked for a new pair of GS1000 as replacement, they again forward the email to Canadian distributor and I got a new pair of GS1000 in just few days after I returned the broken pair, absolutely satisfied with service from both Grado and Canadian distributor.

May 12, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #44 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germancub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
too many people attacking other users on this board when we should be coming together so we can all get better service from companies we invest so much of our time and money in.

Wow! I've read some childish tantrums before, but this is truly infantile.

You might think that because you've spent some money with a company that you deserve certain level of ass-kissing, but you don't. From what you describe, you got adequate service imo.

And if you are disappointed that there were some Head-Fiers that took Grado's point of view and defended it, then you might want to consider moving away from this site again. That's what we do: we share our opinions and will try to help others see things from a different point of view. If you can only see things from your own pov, then you have bigger problems than how Grado replied to your request for service.

May 12, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #45 of 75
Just to put my 2 cents in. I agree with everyone
icon10.gif
I lived in New York for two years and the people were great but they are very blunt and 'matter-of-fact' (I apologize for stereotyping). They don't mean to be rude, it is just the way people communicate. I talked with someone from Grado a couple of months ago who I believe was John Grado and that was his disposition, very forthright and provided his honest opinion of the matter which again was blunt and very opinionated. I was both appreciative of his honesty and disappointed by his lack of tact (I'm Canadian and we're always too subtle). But his intent was not to be rude, just get to the point and be honest. The bluntness does bother my wife who is English and prefers the dispositions of people in the Midwest and West Coast (again, I'm stereotyping). The ironic part for me was after I moved from New York to San Diego, I couldn't adjust to the people in California. I thought they were too nice and were phony. I agree customer service is paramount but the Grado company appears to be run differently. You phone the place and you talk to the boss and not someone trained in customer relations. But if you're not happy with the experience you should inform Grado (after you have the headphones repaired
wink_face.gif
) so they know that they have unhappy customers. Consequently they might have an idea why their sales are slipping (aside from their astronomical pricing on their headphones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back