Grados too bright? I get it! (Yes, HF-1 related)
Oct 20, 2005 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Lisa

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just listening to my HF-1 with bowls and I tried to position the bowls in different ways on my ears. If you put them a bit more to the back so part of the bowls are sitting (kind of) behind your ears they get incredibly bright!
eek.gif

If you rest the top of the bowls on the top and the back of your ears, so they're more to the front (i.e. closer to you nose
biggrin.gif
) then they sound a lot less bright. The soundstage is much more to the front too.

This is with bright, not too well recorded music though. I rather use the reversed senns for this music to tone it down a bit.

Come to think of it, I'm probably not the first person with these findings but still can't hurt to post it anyway.

Oct 20, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 44
i wanna ask Mr John Grado to show us how to wear a Grado

to produce Warm and harmonic sound as it proclaims
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 44
you notice this the most with supraaural headphones like grados because you have the freedom to move them around your ear, unlike circumaural cans, but for the most part all headphones will do this. if you position the drivers to center down and forward on your ears, you will have more bass, less treble. if you prop them up and back on your ears, you will get more treble, less bass.

From the Meier website-

"headphone position

It's so easy, but did you ever test for the optimal position of your headphone? With many headphones the soundstage and the balance of sound are strongly dependent on the position of the driver to our ears.

Scientific research has shown that our perception of depth is increased when the driver is placed more forward and lower with respect to the entrance of the ear channel.

Experimenting doesn't cost you anything and may improve sound considerably."
position.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
you notice this the most with supraaural headphones like grados because you have the freedom to move them around your ear, unlike circumaural cans, but for the most part all headphones will do this. if you position the drivers to center down and forward on your ears, you will have more bass, less treble. if you prop them up and back on your ears, you will get more treble, less bass.

From the Meier website-

"headphone position

It's so easy, but did you ever test for the optimal position of your headphone? With many headphones the soundstage and the balance of sound are strongly dependent on the position of the driver to our ears.

Scientific research has shown that our perception of depth is increased when the driver is placed more forward and lower with respect to the entrance of the ear channel.

Experimenting doesn't cost you anything and may improve sound considerably."
position.gif

it really helps ! thanks Jahn !
eek.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 44
You're thanking the wrong Ja(h)n.
wink.gif

Anyway I knew about this from the Meier site and tried it with my HD25s before but never did I know that Grados could get sooo bright with bowls in the "wrong" position.

So when it comes the Grados with bowls, especially the HF-1, the 3 rules are:
  1. positioning
  2. positioning
  3. positioning

biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 44
Nice HF-1 thread, Lisa. I think I've pretty much given up on keeping the HF-1 Index Thread fresh. After 100+ threads, I guess most everyone has read what they are going to read about these things and either knows that they want a pair or knows that they don't.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 44
damn it .... i am trying my 325i with the right position
and it is not bright anymore !

why didny i read this post earlier
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
eggosmile.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko
i wanna ask Mr John Grado to show us how to wear a Grado

to produce Warm and harmonic sound as it proclaims
biggrin.gif

Step 1: buy a ra-1

Step 2: buy a record player

Step 3: play vinyl

Biggie.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Nice HF-1 thread, Lisa.

Thank you Wayne.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

I think I've pretty much given up on keeping the HF-1 Index Thread fresh. After 100+ threads, I guess most everyone has read what they are going to read about these things and either knows that they want a pair or knows that they don't.

So I won't be on the list? I'm hurt.
frown.gif

I was the one who liked your list, remember?!?!?!
frown.gif

I warmed your heart, remember! Or were you just saying that?
frown.gif

Didn't you mean that?
frown.gif

I feel sad, dissapointed and whole of other words I can't even translate. And the worst part is that Santa made me feel this way!
frown.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 44
Every time Santa makes Lisa sad, one of Lisa's avatar kitties gets chased by a Domo!
DomoKitten.jpg

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 44
Thank you for justifying my initial 5-minute-fussing with positioning my cans. I was mostly doing it to match stereo imaging, but suppose it might have other benefits
tongue.gif

More so with bowl pads than comfies, I imagine.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
Thank you for justifying my initial 5-minute-fussing with positioning my cans. I was mostly doing it to match stereo imaging, but suppose it might have other benefits
tongue.gif

More so with bowl pads than comfies, I imagine.

I don't know. I use senns on my MS-1s and yes more so with bowls than with senns.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 3: play vinyl

Biggie.

Heh, yeah no joke!

Though we could expand a bit:

Step 3: buy a ph-1

Step 4: buy a grado cartridge

Step 5: play vinyl

Doing the above will produce absolutely incredible sound. It doesn't matter what the Grado cart or what the table is (okay maybe the table). I used a Grado Prestige Silver on a Thoren TD166 MK II and the sound was incredibly inviting, intimate, expansive, fine, fun etc etc etc. All the goodies that come with vinyl..and best of all, I was using this with a mere Radioshack Little Rat! Imagine if I had heard this with the PH-1!!

I then moved on to my present rig but borrowed a PH-1 and a Reference Platinum, courtesy of Beagle - WOW heaven!

Okay, enough vinyl + grado hyping. But well, I'm sold and you could be too
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 44
Lisa, funny you should start this thread cos I've been farting around with positioning of my HF-1's for the 3 days I've had them. The problem with my pair is that the headband feels loose - if I was being cynical I'd say they've been out, stretched by some big head and returned (by some HF-1 non believer, no doubt
biggrin.gif
) - and as a result when I'm laying down they gently slide down over the back of my lugholes, almost as if there's a layer of ice around the bowls.

Tried bending them back in, but it's not as easy as bending em out despite plenty of cautious effort. Hell, even a loose headband ain't gonna spoil these cans
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 44
Don't lie down.

But seriously, my Alessandros are pretty tight on my head, and I can wear a Child size helmet. Unless you have a truly tiny head, the grip should tend towards vise-like.

Keep trying to bend that sucker in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back