Grados too bright? I get it! (Yes, HF-1 related)
Oct 27, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
I'm going through the exact same thing Lisa.
The HF-1 has enough bass energy that the flats finally sound a little too dark. I have now been able to get through an entire album using the bowl pads, something I've never been able to do before.

I wish there was a "thick flat" pad we could use, that would strike balance between the bowl and flat pads.

One thing I have noticed is that the pads seem to conform to your ears after a few minutes, and make a better seal. Have you noticed this?
TR

Sorry for the very late respons, but no, I haven't noticed that.

Thick flats to me are the reversed senn pads. They seem to have some of the air of the bowls and tone down the bass a bit too. maybe you could try that if you haven't already.

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
Grados don't have too much treble, they sound very bright because their upper treble has heavy distortion.

interesting.

i want to see more on this.

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
Grados don't have too much treble, they sound very bright because their upper treble has heavy distortion.

THD measurements to back your opinion up would be most appreciated kthxbye

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackreplica
THD measurements to back your opinion up would be most appreciated kthxbye

As soon as I get my sound measuring system set up (in a couple months), I will do measurements. Right now it is based on comparisons with other headphones and speakers. I notice that Grados don't have too much treble, nor too aggressive treble, compared to some of the other headphones, yet it sounds very shrill at times, that irritating screaming sound. i don't know for certain, but based on the driver design it might even have rolled off treble at 17kHz. anyhow, the headphones i use the most are the Grado SR225 and i am a grado fan. i am trying to get rid of the imperfections, and there are many.

Grado 225's have rolled off treble:
http://www.headphone.com/graphs/show...hp?graphID=147
RS-1's not much better:
http://www.headphone.com/graphs/show...hp?graphID=123

Based on my ears, I hear a lot of distortion in the upper range. Frequency response graph varies a lot even in the same pair of headphones and is more crooked than a sine wave, and decay is all messed up as well. Couldn't find any distortion figures. I'll back these claims up soon, although I am not an expert, someone has to do it. I don't like putting myself up for flames, but again, someone has to take the punches and this is important.

Oct 27, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #36 of 44
Ok since you are unfamilar with measurement methodolgy i wont take potshots at you.

But i am very familiar with measurements, and there are a number of things you should note:

1 - Just because you think you hear 'distortion' is a subjective issue. To a sennheiser lover, grado highs may be 'distorted' because it is too brightand shrill. similarly, sennheiser 650 midbass sounds more 'distorted' to me because of it's bloat. But there is no way to say that of these things are 'distortion' without proper measurements, at best we can say they are merely frequency response irregularities/characteristics/sonic signature etc. Distortion can be measured very well and until i see proper distortion measurements like this one: http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/W18NX-HD.gif then like any other headphone, i will surmise that distortion levels everywhere in the spectrum are low. Low distortion is a characteristic of almost ALL headphones, except the cheaper nastier ones. That is the inherent advantage of them, and why they can sound better than traditional home audio loudspeaker systems costing many many times the price.

"Frequency response graph varies a lot even in the same pair of headphones and is more crooked than a sine wave, and decay is all messed up as well"

This statement tells me you do not understand what a frequency response chart is telling you. There are no 'sine waves' in frequency response. Frequency response is measured in the FREQUENCY domain. Issues like decay/energy storage are shown using impulse response/CSD aka 'waterfall' plots which are completely different and measured in the TIME domain, these graphs will tell you whether a speaker is decaying naturally, has low energy storage etc. Your lack of knowledge here is also compounded by that fact that i asked for THD aka total harmonic distortion plots...not frequency response plots you have showed me. Frequency response plots have absolutely NO information on distortion levels

Please see here:http://www.diymobileaudio.com/pics//...ay%20800hz.JPG for examples of impulse response

and here: http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/W18NX-CSD.gif for waterfall/CSD plots

"I don't like putting myself up for flames, but again, someone has to take the punches and this is important"

Please dont take this the wrong way, but i think you should try to learn to understand measurements and definitions of terms like distortion, energy storage, decay etc before trying to discover their existence. Using subjective listening to surmise that any of these elements exist is extremely fallacious, and yes, absolute flamebait for people who do know what the terms you so casually use actually mean

Regards

Oct 27, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackreplica
Ok since you are unfamilar with measurement methodolgy i wont take potshots at you.

But i am very familiar with measurements, and there are a number of things you should note:

1 - Just because you think you hear 'distortion' is a subjective issue. To a sennheiser lover, grado highs may be 'distorted' because it is too muted and has less realism. similarly, sennheiser 650 midbass sounds more 'distorted' to me because of it's bloat. But there is no way to say that of these things are 'distortion' without proper measurements, at best we can say they are merely frequency response irregularities/characteristics/sonic signature etc. Distortion can be measured very well and until i see proper distortion measurements like this one: http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/W18NX-HD.gif then like any other headphone, i will surmise that distortion levels everywhere in the spectrum are low. Low distortion is a characteristic of almost ALL headphones, except the cheaper nastier ones. That is the inherent advantage of them, and why they can sound better than traditional home audio loudspeaker systems costing many many times the price.

"Frequency response graph varies a lot even in the same pair of headphones and is more crooked than a sine wave, and decay is all messed up as well"

This statement tells me you do not understand what a frequency response chart is telling you. There are no 'sine waves' in frequency response. Frequency response is measured in the FREQUENCY domain. Issues like decay/energy storage are shown using impulse response/CSD aka 'waterfall' plots which are completely different and measured in the TIME domain, these graphs will tell you whether a speaker is decaying naturally, has low energy storage etc. Your lack of knowledge here is also compounded by that fact that i asked for THD aka total harmonic distortion plots...not frequency response plots you have showed me. Frequency response plots have absolutely NO information on distortion levels

Please see here:http://www.diymobileaudio.com/pics//...ay%20800hz.JPG for examples of impulse response

and here: http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/W18NX-CSD.gif for waterfall/CSD plots

"I don't like putting myself up for flames, but again, someone has to take the punches and this is important"

Please dont take this the wrong way, but i think you should try to learn to understand measurements and definitions of terms like distortion, energy storage, decay etc before trying to discover their existence. Using subjective listening to surmise that any of these elements exist is extremely fallacious, and yes, absolute flamebait for people who do know what the terms you so casually use actually mean

Regards

well i may not know much yet, but i have seen those sites you mentioned and headphones have much less linear frequency response compared to speakers. when i said sine wave, i meant to make fun of how poor the FR of headphones are. you seem to know a lot, why don't you make measurements for grados? i'm sure someone could lend you a pair.

i do know that human ears are not so good at picking up distortion like instruments, so that is not what i care about. this topic is about how and why grado high end is so shrill. i thought it might be extreme distortion but not really sure what it is. in any case, it is certainly not because of treble extension because grados simply don't extend that far. maybe you can help shed some light rather than take delight at the lack of knowledge of others compared to your own.

measurement graphs are difficult to make and difficult to interpret. if even experts fight over interpretations all day long, then i as a newcomer won't get into any arguments about interpreting graphs. i made my point that grados don't even have close to a balanced FR and have rolled-off treble, argue that if you will. every SR225 driver, even those in the same headphone, will sound different from each other. argue that if you will. i just want to get down to the problem of the irritating high-end shrill.

Oct 27, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #38 of 44
Good, then you will realise that every bit of information you put in your earlier post is completely invalid and thus should be disregarded. Based on your clarification (a nice way of putting it, more like a 100% about-turn), here are your points, and allow me to address your mistakes/misconceptions once again

"headphones have much less linear frequency response compared to speakers. when i said sine wave, i meant to make fun of how poor the FR of headphones are. "

I still do not understand how saying 'sine wave' makes fun of a FR measurement. They are completely unrelated. But yes, i dont deny, all headphones typically have severe frequency response peaks and dips. my measurement thread shows this quite clearly. there is nothing out there i have heard of with anything close to a linear response. But make no mistake, frequency response is the easiest thing to fix (i.e. with EQ, if that floats your boat). What you CANNOT fix with any driver is inherent energy storage and distortion characteristics. In these areas, headphones typically excel. much more so than even the best home audio drivers. that is where their 'magic' lies. Thats why even with very poor frequency response, headphones can pick up details even a top tier speaker would struggle to reproduce

"how and why grado high end is so shrill"

Finally, we are getting somewhere. Your entire post is not about distortion, decay, or energy storage. It is about YOU not liking the grado sound. According to you, it's too shrill. I wonder...what kind of reference you are basing this on. Maybe your headphones are too dark? You see, shrill & bright are subjective issues, subject to LISTENER PREFERENCES. what i find funny is that you think that just because you think grados sound shrill to your ears, then it must be distorted, inaccurate, sine wavey etc
icon10.gif
. This is how flamewars start. You impose your preferences on other people. Trust me, i am nicer than others here will be once they realise what you are up to. Tell people it's just your opinion, and not proven fact, and it will sit better with people. I have no problems with people hating grados, plenty of people listen to my PS-1s and there are many who do not like it. That does NOT mean that the grados are distorted, shrill etc in any objective sense. If everyone though grados were shrill and distorted, then why do so many (objectivists who really know what distortion sounds like and what is considered accurate as well as subjectivists who just want to enjoy the music) own and love them?

"...treble extension because grados simply don't extend that far"

I see, they are shrill, but they have no treble. ummm...ok. Again, subjective, i wont argue with you. Why not try some test tones on a grado you are listening to as opposed to only reading headroom's graphs and see what happens. I am genuinely curious to see the result (this is not sarcasm, i really am). if you like, and you trust my opinion enough, i can do the test on my PS-1. Please bear in mind my hearing starts rolling off at 18KHz so i cant hear past that frequency very well. I cant do a full FR sweep on the grado because my measuring equipment is no longer with me (i shipped it to my 'other' home overseas)

"measurement graphs are difficult to make and difficult to interpret. if even experts fight over interpretations all day long, then i as a newcomer won't get into any arguments about interpreting graphs"

You are most welcome to share your subjective opinions about anything, good or bad, grado or not. But with objective factors, i think a better idea would be for you to try and understand whats going on and how things work before you lambaste something based on incomplete knowledge. trust me, you will save yourself a lot of flames in this forum (and others) if you do this. Like i said, i am really trying to help you here, not make a fool of you (if i appear harsh, that is the way of internet discussions, dont read too much into it)

Oct 27, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #39 of 44
Today I have tried the 414 pads at last and I have to say I prefer the reversed bowls. Senn pads seem to atenuate the bass impact a lot, one of the things I like more of the HF-1s, so... Reversed bowls for me!

Oct 28, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp
Today I have tried the 414 pads at last and I have to say I prefer the reversed bowls. Senn pads seem to atenuate the bass impact a lot, one of the things I like more of the HF-1s, so... Reversed bowls for me!

Did the Senn pads you tried have the hole cut in them or did you simply use stock Senn pads? The hole makes a big difference. I received the pair of HF-1s that I traded for, and if anything (to my ears and IMO, of course) the modded senn pads add bass impact with the HF-1s. I tried bowls, reverse bowls and modded senn pads with the HF-1 and I prefer the modded Senn pads.

Oct 28, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #41 of 44
This morning i tried reversing the bowls and they sound better to my ears, but boy, they are really uncomfortable compared to normal bowls. I might eventually have to give the Senn 414 pads a try.

Oct 28, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeJayBump
Did the Senn pads you tried have the hole cut in them or did you simply use stock Senn pads? The hole makes a big difference. I received the pair of HF-1s that I traded for, and if anything (to my ears and IMO, of course) the modded senn pads add bass impact with the HF-1s. I tried bowls, reverse bowls and modded senn pads with the HF-1 and I prefer the modded Senn pads.

Yes, I've tried the senn pads with and without hole. The hole made a big difference, of course, but mainly in detail. In my opinion, reversed senns are more bassy than reversed bowls, but have less impact and definition. They have less sounstage too. But I will continue trying this weekend with different kinds of music.

Oct 28, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp
Yes, I've tried the senn pads with and without hole. The hole made a big difference, of course, but mainly in detail. In my opinion, reversed senns are more bassy than reversed bowls, but have less impact and definition. They have less sounstage too. But I will continue trying this weekend with different kinds of music.

Move the headphone cups a bit to the front. (Like in Jahn's post.) If you have ears shaped simular to mine than that will help. With reversed senns you automaticly move them more up and to the back because the pads are smaller. At least I do. Anyway, experiment with positioning a bit, might help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back