Grados too bright? I get it! (Yes, HF-1 related)
Oct 20, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen Smith
Lisa, funny you should start this thread cos I've been farting around with positioning of my HF-1's for the 3 days I've had them. The problem with my pair is that the headband feels loose - if I was being cynical I'd say they've been out, stretched by some big head and returned (by some HF-1 non believer, no doubt
biggrin.gif
) - and as a result when I'm laying down they gently slide down over the back of my lugholes, almost as if there's a layer of ice around the bowls.

Tried bending them back in, but it's not as easy as bending em out despite plenty of cautious effort. Hell, even a loose headband ain't gonna spoil these cans
biggrin.gif

Wasn't your box sealed when you got them?

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko
i wanna ask Mr John Grado to show us how to wear a Grado

to produce Warm and harmonic sound as it proclaims
biggrin.gif

Don't forget that the Grado Libretto which describes the RS-1 sound as "warm and harmonic" was originally written in 1996 when the RS-1 sported flat pads. A lot of the reviews on the Grado site were also done during the flat pad days.

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #18 of 44
Lisa, yeah box was sealed, I didn't really want to make a big issue about it- at the end of the day, I got what I ordered and am over the moon with HF-1. It's just a loose headband does makes me wonder.

I had the RS-1 5 years ago and remembered they were vice-like in fit, although comfortable, as I never felt the need to stretch them. The SR-60 I have are likewise much tighter (with comfies). As I say, trying to bend the headband back hasn't made much odds. I may consider sticking the SR-60 band on the HF-1 to see if that helps.

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen Smith
Lisa, yeah box was sealed, I didn't really want to make a big issue about it- at the end of the day, I got what I ordered and am over the moon with HF-1. It's just a loose headband does makes me wonder.

I had the RS-1 5 years ago and remembered they were vice-like in fit, although comfortable, as I never felt the need to stretch them. The SR-60 I have are likewise much tighter (with comfies). As I say, trying to bend the headband back hasn't made much odds. I may consider sticking the SR-60 band on the HF-1 to see if that helps.

Maybe something went wrong in the bending machine? (just guessing that they have a bending machine.) I can't imagine that they would bend out just from someone at Grado labs trying them on for whatever reason.
Swapping headbands seems like a good idea. And them you can always try to bend back bit by bit when it's on the SR60s.

Oct 20, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #20 of 44
Coincidentally, this is a concern for me too.

I am looking at purchasing a used set of Grados that have been bent out a LOT. I'm not sure if they'll bend back in well enough to fit my diminutive noggin.
confused.gif

Don't you know that John personally bends all the headband bars with his heroic Grado strength? Must have been a Sennheisonite day
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Don't forget that the Grado Libretto which describes the RS-1 sound as "warm and harmonic" was originally written in 1996 when the RS-1 sported flat pads. A lot of the reviews on the Grado site were also done during the flat pad days.

mmm...foam.....flats....mmm

mmmfoam.jpg

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:04 PM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
I was just listening to my HF-1 with bowls and I tried to position the bowls in different ways on my ears. If you put them a bit more to the back so part of the bowls are sitting (kind of) behind your ears they get incredibly bright!
eek.gif

If you rest the top of the bowls on the top and the back of your ears, so they're more to the front (i.e. closer to you nose
biggrin.gif
) then they sound a lot less bright. The soundstage is much more to the front too.

This is with bright, not too well recorded music though. I rather use the reversed senns for this music to tone it down a bit.

Come to think of it, I'm probably not the first person with these findings but still can't hurt to post it anyway.

I'm going through the exact same thing Lisa.
The HF-1 has enough bass energy that the flats finally sound a little too dark. I have now been able to get through an entire album using the bowl pads, something I've never been able to do before.

I wish there was a "thick flat" pad we could use, that would strike balance between the bowl and flat pads.

One thing I have noticed is that the pads seem to conform to your ears after a few minutes, and make a better seal. Have you noticed this?
TR

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
One thing I have noticed is that the pads seem to conform to your ears after a few minutes, and make a better seal. Have you noticed this?

In my case it's more like the EARS are conforming to the PADS!
rs1smile.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #24 of 44
As Jahn always says concerning the Grado headband...

"Go Hulk on it!"
biggrin.gif

Don't be too lighthanded with the bending. I can't imagine the headband breaking with a little bending, mine didn't!
biggrin.gif
(But if you are the hulk don't crush them!)

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

I was just listening to my HF-1 with bowls and I tried to position the bowls in different ways on my ears. If you put them a bit more to the back so part of the bowls are sitting (kind of) behind your ears they get incredibly bright!
eek.gif

If you rest the top of the bowls on the top and the back of your ears, so they're more to the front (i.e. closer to you nose
biggrin.gif
) then they sound a lot less bright. The soundstage is much more to the front too.

This is with bright, not too well recorded music though. I rather use the reversed senns for this music to tone it down a bit.

Come to think of it, I'm probably not the first person with these findings but still can't hurt to post it anyway.

I'm envious. I'd want to fiddle with pads too, but I happen to be a Senn guy.
mad.gif
jk
icon10.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #26 of 44
I always thought that grados were bright. My new HF-1s (#150) sounded bright yesterday. Today, after 20 hours of low frequencies sweeps (20-100 Hz) through them, the bass is more of my liking, and with bowls! This is the first grado headphone that I could like
smily_headphones1.gif
In my opinion, HF-1s are the perfect grado for people who aren't grado fans (like myself): refined, less bright than other grados, more bassy and with excellent price. Maybe HF-1s are not going to be your favourite cans, but they have the best qualities of grado sound at the right price.

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp
I always thought that grados are bright. My new HF-1s (#150) sounded bright yesterday. Today, after 20 hours of low frequencies sweeps (20-100 Hz) through them, the bass is more of my liking, and with bowls! This is the first grado headphone that I could like
smily_headphones1.gif
In my opinion, HF-1s are the perfect grado for people who aren't grado fans (like myself): refined, less bright than other grados, more bassy and with excellent price. Maybe HF-1s are not going to be your favourite cans, but they have the best qualities of grado sound at the right price.

Do you have some files of those frequency sweeps? I find my HF-1s a bit bright. The most bassy (not sure about the RS-1s bass as I can't compare right now) but also the most treblely of all grados I own. No matter what pads I use on them (i.e. on the HF-1s).

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #28 of 44
Thanks a lot Sietske, I'm highly honoured to be consistently ignored by you. I wonder what kind of ideas you've been building up in your mind about me.
confused.gif
Thanks for your remarkable kindness and responsiveness.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Do you have some files of those frequency sweeps? I find my HF-1s a bit bright.

Hi Lisa. You could use this album. Anyway, I could send you a file with a sweep between 20-100 Hz if you pm me with your mail or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back