Grado Upgraditis
Oct 1, 2006 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

arspy87

100+ Head-Fier
Looks like I've fallen for it again - I started with SR80s, moved on to SR125s a year later, and now another year later I just ordered SR225s.

Should arrive in a few days, can't wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 51
thats typical... my path went SR40, MS2, HF1, RS1, and I recently bought / sold an MS1 more out of curiosity.

I was content with the MS2, then john released th HF1 and was bit by the grado wood-bug.

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 51
You are amongst friends.

Repeat along with me:

"Hi! My name is *state your name* and I am a Gradoholic...."

We understand; but unfortunately.....we can't even help ourselves.
frown.gif

We who have also been known to leave nose prints on the front window glass while waiting for packages from Brooklyn.

You are amongst friends, in the minimized wallet league.

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 51
I was a member here for over a year before I broke down and ordered my first pair of Grado's. The HF-1's. I had an idea as to what I was in for, but honestly didn't expect much because I made the typical and unfortunate mistake of judging them by their external appearance. I don't think I'm alone here either as I've read other people comment about how they won't try them because "Grado's look too cheap".

The first moment I heard them it was, for me, the ultimate headphone epiphany. I realized just how silly I had been for depriving myself of the Grado sound for so long and instantly went in to immediate Grado upgraditis on the spot. If the HF-1's sound this good, I just had to hear their metal bretheren. Upon seeing my enthusiasm for the HF-1's, a super kind head-fi friend lent me his HP2's and PS-1's to sample. I was instantly hooked.

Went from HF-1's to HP2's in less than three months. Scored the HP2's from yet another awesome head-fier and still plan to hopefully add some PS-1's to the equation one day. I find them to be an excellent compliment to each other. Ironically enough, with all my Grado love, I've still yet to hear the RS-1's or GS-1000's. I'm in no rush however as the HP2's keep me completely satisfied.

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 51
5 years ago, auditioned the 80's and 125s but I was a new parent (money had to go elsewhere) so I bought the SR60s. RS 1s were but a dream. Recently thought about 325i but ended up with the 1000s.

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
thats typical... my path went SR40, MS2, HF1, RS1, and I recently bought / sold an MS1 more out of curiosity.

I was content with the MS2, then john released th HF1 and was bit by the grado wood-bug.

How was the difference between the MS2 and the HF-1? Does a wood chamber really make that much of a difference?

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 51
How's the isolation on the SR-60 or even iGrados? I need an IEM-like headphone for walking to classes.

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer
How's the isolation on the SR-60 or even iGrados? I need an IEM-like headphone for walking to classes.

I'm pretty sure you'll find anything in the Grado line to be the complete opposite of "an IEM-like headphone." For that you'll probably want, well, an IEM.
wink.gif

The AKG K81DJ could also be mentioned here, though, as it's roughly the size of the SR-60 and provides quite decent isolation.

Oct 1, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 51
I had a sennheiser h650 and planned to buy the SR-225 as a complimentary headphone but ended up liking the sound so much, I got the RS-2. After doing some research, I returned the RS-2 and got the RS-1. I then sold the hd650 the next day and was happy with the RS-1 for over a year.

I then got the GS1000 and sold the RS-1 but realized I made a mistake after spending 2 months with the GS1000. I planned to sell the GS1000 and go back to the RS-1 but saw a PS-1 for sale and had to get it knowing I could always sell it back for the same price or more if I didn't like it or needed the money. Now I'm completely satisfied with the PS-1. I'll get a chance to hear the HP-2 in a few weeks at a local meet but I can't imagine liking it more than the PS-1.

On a side note, my wife just bought the SR-60 yesterday and I was surprised at how great they sound out of an ipod. I enjoyed the sound so much better than my ue10 iems. I'm not sure I even need a lot of isolation at work, so I might pick up a pair myself. I also think it will make the perfect Christmas present for a few people I know. I wish I would have gotten an SR-60 from the beginning and never got into the whole iem thing. Grado's are just so much better to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back