Grado treble and bass
Nov 24, 2010 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mackat

Has made 3,500 posts, so he says anyway.
I need less treble and more bass, any theories?

Mackat

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 21
Flats.  Job done.

Not that it'll necessarily sound better with it, but it will do what you asked.

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 21
Or you can try Bilavideo's punch hole mod for (lower-end) Grado's (I think you're talking about your painted SR-60's mackat?)

Nov 24, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 21
I do a shelf style EQ (see my sig) to reduce the highs and upper mids by a few dB or more.  But I can only use that EQ when I'm listening at home through the computer.  My portable (iPod Classic) doesn't have a custom EQ so I can't EQ them like that when on the go.

There's also some pad mods you can try.  The comfie pads will filter some of the treble and also give an increase in bass impact.  Generally pad mods that get the drivers closer to the ears can give more bass impact, but you lose soundstage.  Or you could try the yellow HD414 without the quarter mod hole cut in them.  The foam over the driver will filter some of the highs a bit.

There's people who have done pad mods that add foam or other thin material over the drivers in an effort to filter out and reduce the grado treble.

Nov 24, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 21
Comfies for me reduce the highs and mostly keep the bass the same.  Something to try.

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:
I thought the new Barney paint job would have fixed this issue?

Unfortunately, the rule for Grado mods is that the sound takes on the color and flavor of the material and color of the driver housing.

Aluminum housings give the Grado a harsher, harder, and metallic sound.  Polishing the metal makes the sound more reflective.  Brushed metal makes the sound more grainy.
Wood gives the Grado a mellower and more organic sound.  Darker wood stains create a darker flavor.  Lighter stains a brighter flavor.  Soft woods a softer flavor.  Hard woods a harder flavor.

Polishing the plastic housings will brighten the sound.  Using a hair drying to disassemble the headphone will make the sound warmer.

The prospects for the sound of the Barney mod are not promising. 
eek.gif

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 21
Flats would probably work.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 21
I hate flats. The sound is too veiled

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 21
What pads are you using?

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 21
...and I hate Grados, they sound like too much treble, and not enough bass, how redundant!

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 21
Comfies all the way.

This is something I'd like every Grado owner to try, and it will only cost you five minutes of your life:

1. Listen to your music at your normal volume for roughly 10 minutes
2. Turn the volume down until you have to work to hear your music
3. Turn the volume back up by one notch, or the smallest approximation thereof'
4. Just listen, without critical thought, for 5 minutes

Come back and tell me whether that was an improvement - it definitely is for me.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #14 of 21
I vastly prefer punching out at least four of the holes on the back of the driver.  It makes a tremendous difference in bass.  Not only does this work with the SR60, it adds needed balance to the SR325, where the highs are wonderful but quickly outpace the bass without an amp.  Do the hole punch and life is good.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #15 of 21

Comfies all the way.

This is something I'd like every Grado owner to try, and it will only cost you five minutes of your life:

1. Listen to your music at your normal volume for roughly 10 minutes
2. Turn the volume down until you have to work to hear your music
3. Turn the volume back up by one notch, or the smallest approximation thereof'
4. Just listen, without critical thought, for 5 minutes

Come back and tell me whether that was an improvement - it definitely is for me.

I've done this.  It works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back