Grado Sr80i vs. 125i
Sep 6, 2011 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

herokurdt84

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm back again but this time looking for advice on which set of can's would suit me best in my dorm room watching shows, or walking to class. I'm a person who loves music as a whole (i enjoy when i can hear individual parts of songs), and so if one of these headphones does that more than the other which would it be. My main questions are these:

1. Which of the two is more portable?

2. Which of these will suit me the most watching show's/movies?

3. I've read that an iphone is strong enough to drive them is this true? If it isn't what would be a good cheap driver if my iphone wasn't strong enough?

Favorite bands include: rhcp, foo fighters, nirvana, jeff buckley, pink floyd, hendrix, clapton, ccr, SRV and a couple blues musicians. So generally hard rock, alternative, classic rock and blues music.

Hope all of this makes sense
Hero

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 9
They're essentially the same design -- the same dimensions, frequency response, sensitivity rating, and resistance.  Neither is more portable than the other.  Every Grado headphone model is supposed to be a slight improvement over the one a step under it in the model line.  Many reviews I've read say that the SR125i is not worth $50 more than the SR80i, that they're just a touch brighter.  

I just bought the SR80i and I really like them.  You and I have very similar musical tastes (I like all the artists you've named), and they really shine with classic rock and alternative rock.  They've breathed new life into some of my music.  They do get uncomfortable on me after wearing them for about two hours since they're an on-ear and not over-the-ear design.  They're fine with an iPod, although I always have to keep the volume at around 60-70% to get a really immersive listening volume.  As far as shows and movies go, I've watched a few action movies and some TV shows with them and they perform fine.  The audio is very forward, though, so they don't have the spacious feeling other open cans have.

Since both designs are open back, if any place you're listening to music is noisy, you'll be able to hear everything going on around you.  They don't isolate you from sound at all; likewise, they don't isolate the people around you from what you're listening to.  

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 9
The MS-1 would be a good choice.

I do really love my SR-80i's, though, especially considering I have them amped to make up for the lack of bass. They are definitely the kings of rock.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
The MS-1 would be a good choice.

I do really love my SR-80i's, though, especially considering I have them amped to make up for the lack of bass. They are definitely the kings of rock.

agreed. :)
but i'm kinda curious how upper models of grado sound. will definitely try them sometime. hopefully soon, lol. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 9
I prefer the original SR-80 over the i, the former is more neutral sounding. As for the SR-125i, they're big with a heavy cord, but the musical qualities are different than both 80s. There's more deep bass and warmth, but the midrange is fully intact. Pus, I think the original SR-80s beats any of the mass-market Monster headsets that are out there.   

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Having listened to both extensively, I really don't think the SR125 warrants the higher price over the SR80. The only real difference I noticed was that the SR125 had a slightly wider soundstage, and just the tiniest bit of treble was more audible. 90%+ of the experience remained the same, except where I lost an extra $40 or so by "upgrading" to the SR125.

Frankly I have similar thoughts about the SR80 versus the SR60. I would only buy an SR60, or an SR225 and up. There's truly a very big difference when you hit the SR225, while still sounding "Grado".

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 9
Oh and while not having heard the MS-1, from what I've read, it would be a better choice over the SR125 as well.

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 9
I had the MS-1i's and 80i's at the same time,sold the MS-1's and still have the 80's,i thought the Ms-1's sounded a bit too laid back,and not how Grado's should sound.
Mind you i prefer my 325's over both of them.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back