grado sr80i - som general advice
Jul 16, 2010 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ddvilanova

New Head-Fier
Hi I recently purchased a pair of sr80i's on eBay. I was expecting the logo on the sides to actually have sr80i written on them but instead they just have sr80. Are there no cosmetic differences at all beteween the two. If not how can you tell which ones are which?

Also I was really suprised as to how much sound is audible on the outside. Are there any others closed back headphones that have a similar sound?

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 9
Since no one has chimed in, here goes.

There are two easy ways to tell the difference -
1. The cups of the new models stick out further. The old ones look flat. Check out the pictures  at headphone.com. The pictures on the SR80i page are of the current model. The pictures on the SR60i page are of the older model.
2. The SR80 came with bowls, and the SR80i comes with comfy pads that cover the whole earlobe.

Grados are exceptionally open phones, both in how they sound and how much they leak. As for alternatives, you will get better recommendations if you provide some details about your source, amplification if any, and application (portable or stationary).

All the best.

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 9
the i versions also come with a cable about as thick and inflexible as a garden hose.

I've never actually managed to find any headphones as open and leaky as Grados.  There aren't many cans that have a similar sound, though.  I've said a few times that the DBI Pro 700 is so aggressive that it almost feels like a closed Grado, but that isn't even really true--it's just the narrow soundstage and aggressive signature.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 9
Hi thanks for the replies. I will be using the headphones with a few sources - first I will be using through my iPhone. Next through my computer and lastly through my guitar amp. The sr80i by the way, sound amazing in my guitar amp!

Yeah the amount of sound that leaks is really surprising and I don't think they are going to be usuable at work

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #5 of 9
That's the design of open phones - they're meant to leak sound in and out, it's what provides a more open and natural sound than closed. It also makes them poor choices for outside use.

I don't hold with the opinions Grados leak more than any open phone. I've listened to plenty and it's far more related to volume than anything else.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 9
I use my SR125i's at work.  Never had a complaint, and I crank them pretty loudly on occasion.  We have cubes though, and maybe their sound deadening is pretty good for how crappy and cheap they look. 
smile_phones.gif

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 9
If the Grados are too leaky for your needs, yet you like the Grado sound, a cheap alternative is the Koss PortaPro, which retails for about $40.  The PortaPro is also an open can though not as obviously open as the Grados.  Where the Grados have a grilled barrel, the PortaPros have a metal back with lots of open joins where sound pressure can leak out.  The PortaPros fold up to fit in a coat pocket.  They're quite minimalist.  What makes them a better choice for certain environments is the degree to which they stick to the ears.  You feed less volume in so you leak less volume out.  They don't provide any real sound isolation (since they're open) but they have a lower profile.  The PortaPros have a smaller soundstage - and Grados sound fuller - but I see this as a modest substitute for Grados in situations where sound leakage is a more sensitive issue.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I use my SR125i's at work.  Never had a complaint, and I crank them pretty loudly on occasion.  We have cubes though, and maybe their sound deadening is pretty good for how crappy and cheap they look. 
smile_phones.gif

I use my SR80i's at work and haven't had any complaints.  I actually share a desk with somebody in an office that has 5 people in it.  Unless it is DEAD quiet, I don't think people can hear the leakage.  There is usually some side conversation going on that would drown leakage from my headphones out.

I used to use IEMs in the office, but I didn't like having that much isolation.  I like the open design because I can hear what is going on around me.  If somebody comments on what a dork I look like with my headphones on, I can respond
beyersmile.png

I think you only have to worry about leakage if you are in a dead silent environment (e.g. in bed at night with your significant other) or you like to REALLY crank the tunes in your 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back