Grado Sr60i vs. Sr80i
Jul 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #18 of 40
They're the same headphone more or less.

One just has the 4-conductor cable and one doesn't. That's all. All the prestige series is mostly the same.

The SR-80 has better and tighter (translates to faster) bass due to the cable (apparently), but it was mostly with the bowl pads they used to issue as standard back in the day. It's minute, if you've gotta go hungry to get them, just get the SR-60's, I mean hell they come with the same pads these days.

As for "i" vs "non-i" models, I own an SR-80i and an SR-60, both in stock form (now modded with the same cable) with bowl pads pretty much are indiscernable to me, the new cans look better but I don't hear a difference and I've been owning and listening to Grados as long as I've been on this forum.

I'm in class but here is my facebook picture with the 60's, sorry you have to look at me, but there they are lol.

My ORIGINAL pair of SR-60's that I still own today:

Buy whatever you can afford, if the SR-60's don't impress you, I highly doubt the SR-325's will either, all the more expensive Grados are just more of the same with tweaks made to allow the drivers to function properly, and of course American labor tends to be overcharged for but not overpaid... but they'll still be able to compete with headphones in their price range. Their ability to sound better than headphones costing 2-3x as much is grossly exaggerated, but it is true that some people prefer them to more expensive cans.

By the way the comfort issue these days is mostly moot, the build-up of anti Grado comfort posts in the last 10 years or so was due to the SR-80 and above shipping with bowl pads. These days you get the soft foam pads which can be quite comfy compared to sweaty pleather. For example ergonomically my AKG K 240's were awesome, those **** pads made my ears hot, I'm not fat, I'm not overly sweaty, they just irked me but I mean I'm wearing headphones, just take 'em off every 30 minutes lol.

That being said the AD700's have LESS bass than SR-80. You can hear it just as well, but you'll "feel" it more with the Grado. Both are about 1/4th the exaggerated poo-bass you get from Skullcandy Skullcrushers, I'm not kidding, but they are very musical and they are one of my favorites for sure. AD700 is one of my top recommendations as well, but if you're curious about Grado headphones, might as well just kill the cat and order 'em buddy.

1 more tip, get the Alessandro MS-1's, all the features of the SR-125 for less money plus you still get a 3.5mm plug as stock equipment with the option to use the 1/4" adapter. The highs aren't as violently bright (allegedly) but it's still 95 percent of the Grado sound. I honestly just think it's the SR-125 features doing it since I also have an SR-125, but I loaned it out and I don't really want to ask for it back since my friend loves them so much :D

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #19 of 40
I'm new, but I figured I should throw in my two cents, seeing as that I had this question when I started getting into genuinely good headphones and answered it for myself.

I've had a bunch of headphones (Sony MDR-V150, countless Apple earbuds, some nicer earbuds with neodymium magnets, some interesting Sony over-ear style-oriented 'phones, some crappy Jabra BT620 stereo bluetooth headphones, and some skullcandy earbuds) over the years and I recently decided that since I'm so into music, I needed really good headphones to get the most out of my music.  Until I went down this path, the best headphones I ever owned were some Bose in-ears.

I jumped into nicer headphones by trying out some Esckuche 33i headphones.  Barf.  We'll not talk about those bass-only disappointments

I really got started by buying some Philips Citiscape Downtowns.  I had them for a week before I returned them.  The detail was off the chain (in my very limited opinion) but they were fussy, uncomfortable, and lacked bass.  I switched them out for some Uptowns to address my concerns, and because I kept hearing about Grado sr60s I decided to try them too, even though I was sure I wanted closed headphones with a built in mic.  The Uptowns did address my issues, but ...

IF YOU HAVE NO INTEREST IN MY BACKGROUND AS A REVIEWER START READING HERE

I was addicted to the sr60i's.  If you're new to this sort of thing as I was, the sr60i's will blow your little mind. The detail you get is astonishing. The midrange is definitely the strength of the sr60i's, and that (as you will find all over this forum) makes them great for rock music.  They have this energy about them, and the way they deliver guitar solos, be it the technical shredding of Buckethead and Tosin or the mellower bluesy delivery of Mike McCready, is AMAZING.  Unlike anything you can get for cheaper.  Yet the sr60i's have a weakness: the bass.  Kicker drums have great definition, but they don't kick like they should.  The texture of bass guitars is beautiful, but the impact disappears as the frequency drops.

So I quickly developed an interest in the next step up, the sr80i.  Word is they have better bass extension.  Word is they also have better detail.  The word is right.  Someone on this forum said the listening to the sr80i was like removing the veil from the sr60i (wish I could find the comment so I could give proper credit).  I couldn't agree more.  The bass is punchy, powerful and deep when compared to the sr60i.  The details (which blew my mind on the sr60i) are even better.  Entire instruments that I barely noticed for the first time using the sr60is came to life with the sr80is.  A good example of the difference in detail is the sound of cymbals.  They are noticeably crisper on the 80s than on the 60s.  Not that cymbals sound bad on the 60s, the 80s are just better.  It's sweeter and better defined.

If I were to point you to one song that best illustrates the difference between the two headphones, it would be 4th of July by Soundgarden.  It's frankly a bit of a disappointing experience on the sr60i's due to the lack of bass extension.  The bass line in the intro fades out as it gets lower and the cymbals are a little harsh on the high end, even though they manage to sound a little muffled.  The guitar solo is thin and screechy, as Kim Thayil solos tend to be.  Switching to the sr80i's, the song is transformed.  As the bass drops it keeps its impact all the way down.  The 'muffled' cymbals and drums become extremely well defined, just distant.  The guitar solo in particular is a revelation.  The Kim Thayil sound isn't what I thought it was.  There is a lot more body to the sound, almost like a vintage 60's rock sound on steroids.  Granted, this is about as extreme an example of the differences that I can find, but the difference is always there.

In summation, the sr60i is brilliant compared to what you've tried if you're new to this.  The sr80i is markedly better.

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #20 of 40
In summation, the sr60i is brilliant compared to what you've tried if you're new to this.  The sr80i is markedly better.

More than a year in head fi, and this is your only post. By the way, did you use the comfies on both models when you compared them? Im new to this and im going to buy my first headphones.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #21 of 40
 More than a year in head fi, and this is your only post.

More or less.  I haven't had much time to participate in the community, but my love of sound (and gear) has continued to flourish.
 did you use the comfies on both models when you compared them?

Yes, both models were rocking the stock comfies when I wrote that.  I ended up with taped bowls on my sr80is, though.
 Im new to this and im going to buy my first headphones.

Good luck on your journey down the rabbit hole.  The entry-level Grados are as good a place to start as any.  They are startlingly clear, energetic and textured the first time you put them on.  Just keep in mind that these are indoor headphones.  I used to be an advocate of using them outside and on the bus, but eventually I gave in.  You have to turn up the volume painfully loud to enjoy the music over the ambient noise.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #23 of 40
It's not especially hard to tell the five SR series apart from one another, and they're different enough that most listeners will have definite preferences. Of the two you mentioned, 60i is simpler and more straightforward. It has a more consistent sound that includes all the ranges more evenly, but every range sounds a little thinner. 80i is overpoweringly bright and might be fatiguing. The bass is harder to hear, but it fuller when you hear it.

80i is one of the harder to like and 60i is the easiest to like. Neither is obviously better: it's a matter of preference. Because of those differences, unless you've listened to 80i and like it, I recommend 60i.

They both come with the same pads: S-cushion. But I'm sure you've read that many buy the L-cushions that come with 225i/325is among others and use them on 60i/80i/125i. The different pads change the sound too. I confess I'm not so good at explaining precisely how, but I like both. Neither is obviously better: that, too, is a matter of preference.

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #24 of 40
unless you've listened to 80i and like it, I recommend 60i.

Obviously I want a definitive answer but I get what you are saying. That's why Ive read every post in head fi but I cant seem to find a straightforward answer that sr80i is better than sr60i, because as you said, they sort of have a different flavor. So sr80i is "technically" better but of course, doesn't mean better to my ears, right? Thank you and I appreciate it.

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #26 of 40
  by the way, does sr80i benefit form amping. i have no amp so is it worth it to buy an amp for this?

SR60/80i don't need an amp and sound very good without them. They sound slightly better amped, but so does almost everything -- even Koss clip ons. I sometimes consider an amp inconvenient, and often use my Grados with only an iPod. I find this guide useful: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #27 of 40
Thanks!  I'll try to be around more.

Quote:
 sr80i over sr60i any day?

Yeah.  I would say that if you just wanted something that sounded awesome, forget the sr80i exists and get the sr60i.  But since you're here at Head-Fi, you're interested either in absolute performance or bang-for-your-buck.  The sr80i is my choice for both, by virtue of being noticeably clearer for just $20 more.

edit: for some weird reason, the sr80i is actually significantly cheaper than the sr60i on Amazon.  I bet that won't last long...

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #28 of 40
The best simple improvement you can make to any cheap Grado is to buy an aftermarket headband. The superiority of any SR series Grado over any other is a matter of preference. The superiority of any earpad cushion over any other is a matter of preference. But a real leather or other softer headband is an objective improvement over the thin, flimsy stock headband.

So buy whichever Grado is cheapest and replace the headband. Listen for a couple of months while you consider buying the L-cushions. Buy the L-cushions. Listen for a couple of months while you consider doing the tape mod. Do the tape mod. Listen for a couple of month while you consider whether you still want to be friends with any of us.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #29 of 40
@Claritas & jswansong

Thanks for the advice. My confused mind definitely got clearer. I appreciate it
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back