Grado SR60i + V-MODA M-80/M-100 vs. Beyer DT1350 + SRH 750 DJ
Aug 20, 2012 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

freakfingers12

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I've been meaning to get myself my first pair of headphones, but since no headphones are perfect, I am thinking of getting two.
Jaben in my country is having a sale, buy one Beyerdynamics DT1350 and get a free Shure SRH 750DJ. That really caught my attention. I like the DT1350 for its mids and highs, I think it's a great phone for overall balance but probably not too good for my genre Rock and Heavy Metal. The Shure SRH750 DJ have the attack and clarity. Roughly costs about USD$400 after converted. (Yes, in my country taxes are pretty high I get them at much higher prices). But I have the urge to own Grados. 

Then again I researched for my preferred sound signature and these two topped the list, Grado SR60i and V-MODA M-80 (not sure about the V-MODA M-80 though). I like the Grado's sound signature for Rock music. And the other phone, I would like a bassy phone with clarity and presence across the sound spectrum and I thought of M-80s. Any other thoughts on this? Recommendation of other phones below $200 would be welcomed.

I would actually like a portable phone but I am leaning to wait for the release of M-100 too. I think it would sound sick. 

To make it short,
Beyer DT1350+Shure SRH750DJ 
or
Grado SR60i+V-MODA M-80/other recommendations. 

I mostly listen to Rock, Heavy Metal, Folk, and Jazz.

Bands like Queen, Jerry Garcia Band, Jimi Hendrix, Wild Cherry, Ella Fitzgerald, RHCP, Rage Against The Machine, Ray LaMontagne, Death Angel, Pantera, Mono, Led Zeppelin, Russian Circles, Dream Theater, Nile, Carcass and something alone those lines. 

Thanks. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 8
I have only heard the M80's and I personally own the SR225i.  The M80's are exactly what you want in having an overall balanced sound with a good, punchy bass.  However, the bass isn't too overpowering so be warned if you want eardrum bashing impact.  They do well with all types of "fun" music though I definitely feel they are lacking in the Folk and Jazz department listening to both genres a lot myself.  I feel that though the Grado's perform better, they aren't incredibly good for the two genres I mentioned.  However, the Grado's excel at rock and metal which do extremely well with guitar riffs.

To me, neither headphone has lush and full mids which the Beyerdynamic seems to have from impressions and reviews that I have read.  They tend to do better with Jazz, Classical, Folk, and Acoustic music.  My advice is to read up on the DT1350's since they really seem like amazing headphones and them make your decision based on what type of music you listen to the most.  I will also say that you really can't go wrong with the Grados and the V-Moda's since they are both amazing headphones at their price point.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I have only heard the M80's and I personally own the SR225i.  The M80's are exactly what you want in having an overall balanced sound with a good, punchy bass.  However, the bass isn't too overpowering so be warned if you want eardrum bashing impact.  They do well with all types of "fun" music though I definitely feel they are lacking in the Folk and Jazz department listening to both genres a lot myself.  I feel that though the Grado's perform better, they aren't incredibly good for the two genres I mentioned.  However, the Grado's excel at rock and metal which do extremely well with guitar riffs.

To me, neither headphone has lush and full mids which the Beyerdynamic seems to have from impressions and reviews that I have read.  They tend to do better with Jazz, Classical, Folk, and Acoustic music.  My advice is to read up on the DT1350's since they really seem like amazing headphones and them make your decision based on what type of music you listen to the most.  I will also say that you really can't go wrong with the Grados and the V-Moda's since they are both amazing headphones at their price point.

Thanks for the input. 
Yeah, I do like my bass good and punchy but not overpowering. How do the M-80's perform in fast paced music like AC/DC, RHCP and Rage Against the Machine sort of music?
I am still leaning towards having the Grado's. 
Read somewhere, never tried them on myself yet, that the DT1350's are good for electronica and trance music which I never, ever listen to. Maybe they are not for me. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 8
I would say that they handle fast music very well.  I don't remember being as impressed with the instrument separation and detail as my Etymotic HF2's but I still thought they got the job done.  But this could be due to not having as good isolation since the Ety's are known for their supreme isolation and I listened to most of my music with the M80's on the NYC subway and streets.  

The Grado's seem really great for the bands that you have.  They handle vocals pretty well but at times they lack the richness that might be more appreciate for slower music such as female vocalists.  They have great detail and clarity though I'm not sure how good they would be compared to the SR225i's.  I've tried the SR-80i's before they seem to have a bit less detail/clarity/sparkle than the higher end model.  I don't know too much specifically about the SR60i but Grado's are almost always recommended for Metal and Rock.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I would say that they handle fast music very well.  I don't remember being as impressed with the instrument separation and detail as my Etymotic HF2's but I still thought they got the job done.  But this could be due to not having as good isolation since the Ety's are known for their supreme isolation and I listened to most of my music with the M80's on the NYC subway and streets.  

The Grado's seem really great for the bands that you have.  They handle vocals pretty well but at times they lack the richness that might be more appreciate for slower music such as female vocalists.  They have great detail and clarity though I'm not sure how good they would be compared to the SR225i's.  I've tried the SR-80i's before they seem to have a bit less detail/clarity/sparkle than the higher end model.  I don't know too much specifically about the SR60i but Grado's are almost always recommended for Metal and Rock.

So wanted to try these out. But stores are closed due to holidays. Sigh...
In the meantime, did some more reading and stumbled into a review of DT1350 by Tyll, where he highly recommends it for Rock and Metal.

Highly recommended for rock and metal.

Headfonia reviewed it and I quote:

You know, but if you happen to be a die-hard fan of Techno or Electronica, I think the mids are fine for those music and the clearer articulation of the DT1350 makes it the more definite choice over the HD25-1.

I am so mixed right now. Anyone has input for DT1350? 

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 8
Wish I could help but maybe you should try giving this thread a look:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533508/new-beyer-dt1350

It might be a bit long of a read but just skimming through some of the latest posts or posting your question's in there might give you some more feedback.  Happy shopping and "sorry for your wallet".

Yes I saw the thread. Haha yeah wallet is going to be dry.
BTW, I've decided on the dt1350 + Alessandro ms1i. Thanks for all your input on this. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back