Grado SR60i lack of treble!
Mar 31, 2011 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kloug

Head-Fier
Hi,

I finally decided myself to bought the Grado SR60i after all the great comments I read about them. I already have a few pairs of good headphones, but I wanted to try this "legendary" model.

I have to admit they are good and fun sounding headphones, especially in the midrange and the bass. But they are not the best in this price range for me : the one to beat is still the Shure SRH440, which is more balanced and refined than the SR60i.

The SR60i have well enough bass for me, but the problem is the treble extension. It's funny because I've read a lot of comments stating that Grado headphones can have too much treble. Huh? I really like the SR60i but they don't have enough treble sparkle for me (unlike the SRH440). It's not me having some hearing impairments : I can hear up to 16kHz and clearly at 15kHz.

I think the problem may be the S-cushion "comfy" pads. When I press the headphones onto my ears, I have more treble presence and extension. Maybe the L-cushion "bowl" pads could wake up the treble? Or maybe the mod of cutting a quarter hole in the pad can reveal more treble?

Any suggestions to reveal the treble on the SR60i?

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 4
I would say bowl pads. If you think it may be uncomfortable you can try HD414 pads reversed. Cutting a hole in the comfies don't do much; bowls help noticeable more. With bowls, when you turn up the volume the treble increases more than the mids and bass do. With comfies I find the mids and bass increase more than the treble do as I increase the volume.

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I would say bowl pads. If you think it may be uncomfortable you can try HD414 pads reversed. Cutting a hole in the comfies don't do much; bowls help noticeable more. With bowls, when you turn up the volume the treble increases more than the mids and bass do. With comfies I find the mids and bass increase more than the treble do as I increase the volume.

Thanks for the advice. This week-end, I had the chance to try the SR60i with the super large G-cushion at the SSI in Montreal. It was a revelation! Super light bass and low-mids with better highs. A great improvement. But the G-cushions are expensive!

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 4
hmmmm....i don't have SR60s, i have SR80s, and the treble is fine. i also own the Shure SRH440s, and although they have more bass than the Grados, they sound pretty similar to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back