Grado SR60 vs RS1. Ten times better? | Edit: BOUGHT RS1
Aug 6, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #61 of 73
Waiting for my flats to come I’ve decided to reverse stock bowls, just to try their fit and wow, they are so cool this way. The comfort is much better as they lay flat on my ears and the sound is better for my tastes, as well. The music (Charlie Musselwhite’s “Sanctuary” CD) gets closer, fuller, more full-bodied that way. I like having my vocals as close to my face as possible and this is what I got. Plus, the detail is still there. Do you have similar feelings, have you tried bowls the reversed way?

If Todd’s flats sound similar, I can’t wait for them to arrive.

I hope you don't mind me sharing those little pieces of happiness with you :).

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #62 of 73
Welcome for the link.
smily_headphones1.gif
I came close to getting a set of Dennon's but looking at them closer, it didn't appeal to me. The RS-1's on the other hand, wabi-sabi is all I can think of so I didn't hesitate on buying a pair. Perfection is simply an ideal as is wabi-sabi but I subscribe to the latter.

Tell us how the flats work out. The bowls work fine for me but it does occasionally irritate one of my ear lobes.

Cheers!

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #63 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell us how the flats work out. The bowls work fine for me but it does occasionally irritate one of my ear lobes.

Will do. Like I’ve mentioned I don’t find bowls too uncomfortable but they don’t feel too stable on my ears. When I listen to music and do some head moving and move my head back I get the feeling they are sliding back of my head/moving on my ears. With reversed bowls it in not an issue. So the flats should be even better as comfort is concerned, because the hole in them is smaller.

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #64 of 73
I so envy you guys. I recently joined the hobby with a pair of SR80s and it'll be a while I think before I put down the money for anything like an RS1... but I'm looking forward to that day. Meanwhile I'm loving the SR80s; they make me fall in love with my varied music collection all over again.

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #65 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quasimodosbelfry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I so envy you guys. I recently joined the hobby with a pair of SR80s and it'll be a while I think before I put down the money for anything like an RS1... but I'm looking forward to that day. Meanwhile I'm loving the SR80s; they make me fall in love with my varied music collection all over again.

You had a great start for sure, a SR-80 is awesome. But yeah, the RS-1 will be as a ghost for you and might be in your head in a near future ...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Are you using it with an amp ... ?

Aug 7, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #66 of 73
Since I got these RS-1's about two weeks ago I've been so pleased with them I've just left my player on shuffle so I could experience all different types of music. I think the only thing I've listened all the way through is Dark Side of the Moon.

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #67 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quasimodosbelfry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....they make me fall in love with my varied music collection all over again.

This happens often here.
rs1smile.gif

Enjoy the journey.

RS-1s are a hauntingly beautiful image.

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #68 of 73
Hey Guys. I just got back from a jazz festival I was doing the emcee work for and I just couldn’t wait to get back home to listen to my wooden beauties. The hell with live music, RS1 sounds way better :).

Stevtt, have you tried reversing your bowls? It brings your music a bit closer and makes it a bit fuller. Buddy Guy’s “Sweet Tea” album never sounded better than that. And his guitar, cuts like a razor blade.

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #69 of 73
Was listening to that last night. As a matter of fact, caught a little bit of a slight buzzing about 2:43 in. Just confirmed it with a set of shures but not as pronounced as the RS-1's. It's going to drive me crazy

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #71 of 73
I know that. With Grado you can hear so many details it’s scary. But those tracks with electric guitar on, like „I’ve Gotta Try You Girl”, are amazing.

EDIT:
By the way, as you like the blues you should try some of the albums I’ve mentioned here in this thread, especially The Imperial Crowns’ live one. RS1 are killers with this one.

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #72 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell us how the flats work out. The bowls work fine for me but it does occasionally irritate one of my ear lobes. Cheers!

My flats have just arrived but I can't decide which one I like better, flats or reversed bowls as they sound very similar with fats having just a little bit more bass. Need to give them a good listen. But I like SR60 with flats way more than with comfies, that's for sure.

EDIT: A couple minutes later... Yes, there is a difference with RS1. Those flats make the music sound "fuller", with more "meat" if you know what I mean. It looks like flats will win the game, with reversed bowls taking second place and regular bowls third place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back