Grado SR60 vs RS1. Ten times better? | Edit: BOUGHT RS1
Jul 23, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #16 of 73
I just put the RS-1's on for the first time. My first impresion is OH MY GOD, THERE IS NO WAY THESE CAN GET BETTER WITH BURN IN! As someone mentioned earlier I think these are the headphones I've been looking for. I plugged them into my hornet and dialed up some Yes and Eagles and they are everything they were described to be.

It looks like Motoxguy's description is right on the money except for my impression of the bass. My impression is tight with a lot of punch. I was listening to Chris Squire's bass solo in Starship troopers and it was the best presention of it I have heard.

Ok, now new amp,

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #17 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevtt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just put the RS-1's on for the first time. My first impresion is OH MY GOD, THERE IS NO WAY THESE CAN GET BETTER WITH BURN IN!

I like that impression :). Can you comment a bit on the differences you hear between those and SR60?

By the way, you have the new RS1 without buttons?

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #18 of 73
Quote:

I just put the RS-1's on for the first time. My first impresion is OH MY GOD, THERE IS NO WAY THESE CAN GET BETTER WITH BURN IN! As someone mentioned earlier I think these are the headphones I've been looking for. I plugged them into my hornet and dialed up some Yes and Eagles and they are everything they were described to be.

It looks like Motoxguy's description is right on the money except for my impression of the bass. My impression is tight with a lot of punch. I was listening to Chris Squire's bass solo in Starship troopers and it was the best presention of it I have heard.

Ok, now new amp,

The bass is a little bit wild with the flat pads and/or the senn pad's, otherwise it is pretty nice.

I think the bowls are the best, especially if you squash them a bit. Mine keep returning to their original form though
frown.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #20 of 73
I have the new ones. I might be imagining things but I can hear a distant relationship between the RS-1 and the Igrado. The Igrado was fun to listen to with some of the same signature but the RS-1 ils ight years ahead of it (should be for the money) and are so refined. I'm kind of bouncing through everything on my Ipod in shuffle so I'm getting saturated with a lot of impressions right now. I will say that these things feel like they were almost designed with Buddy Guy in mind. Like I sad, I'm running these through a Hornet but I am really curious what they would sound like tube

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #21 of 73
Quote:

I have the new ones. I might be imagining things but I can hear a distant relationship between the RS-1 and the Igrado. The Igrado was fun to listen to with some of the same signature but the RS-1 ils ight years ahead of it (should be for the money) and are so refined. I'm kind of bouncing through everything on my Ipod in shuffle so I'm getting saturated with a lot of impressions right now. I will say that these things feel like they were almost designed with Buddy Guy in mind. Like I sad, I'm running these through a Hornet but I am really curious what they would sound like tube

It's official: you've caught the bug.
biggrin.gif
I got my 325is a couple months ago, now I'm saving for a Woo Audio WA6 all-tube amp. I mean, I went for the Grado-est of Grados, I might as well go for the tubiest tube amp I can find. No hybrids, thank you.
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #22 of 73
Audio wise this is probably the decision I stressed out over the most. I felt I was really taking a chance stepping right into the RS-1 like that not even being sure if I would be partial to the Grado sound. I've already shot off a couple of exploratory e-mails to Woo Audio.

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #24 of 73
Hello Guys,

I think the decision is already made. I am going the RS1 way. The only question now is your opinion on NEW versus OLD.

On the picture I have attached on the first page of this thread you can see those used ones I am thinking of. They are 5-6 years old with buttons and will cost me about $980 total (including shipping). Their owner said that from four RS1 pairs he had those pictured here were keepers with subtle tonal differences making them sound the sweetest.

A new pair of RS1, without buttons, costs $1100 in Poland.

I can get them cheaper when buying in USA, new ones would cost me $650 max. A friend of mine is going to USA on September and could bring me them as a part of his luggage, that probably means VAT free.

So:

1) In your opinion, is the older/used model worth the price it’s owner suggests? It’s discontinued and I think it looks better, but…

2) Also, are those RS1s really made to last a lifetime? I am thinking that if a pair is 5 years old and still in great shape it means that there is nothing in it that can get broken with time (of course when it is well treated). Should I go for the new with one year warranty or leave it? What are your experiences with RS1’s durability?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosquito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP,

could you please list some of your favorite albums. i am just interested, considering you have 6,000

thank you

Are you thinking about historical albums or those modern ones? One way or another here are just a couple of albums I think are absolute “musts” if you want to listen to the best blues-soul related music:

-Junior Wells “Come On In This House” Telarc – One of the best and sweetest sounding blues albums. Junior Wells playing acoustic harp with a group of fantastic slide guitarists, like Derek Trucks, Sonny Landreth, etc. The music is warm, analog sounding and very well recorded. The backing band is also top notch with Tabe Benoit, current blues star, playing rhythm guitar.

-Muddy Waters “Folk Singer” MCS (it’s available also with re-mastering) – Some call it the most audiophile blues recording ever. It’s all-acoustic and Muddy’s voice is so up-front, you can feel his breath. I like it much better than his more famous electric blues albums. Buddy Guy on acoustic guitar.

-Buddy Guy “Stone Crazy” Alligator – If I was to have only one Buddy Guy’s CD this would be the one. His guitar playing, his use of dynamics and his singing are scary on this one.

-James Carr “You’ve Got My Mind Messed Up” or “A Man Needs A Woman” Kent – Two of his best and earliest albums, pure classic soul. Many people love Otis Redding but have newer heard of James Carr. His singing is pure soul – he is the guy that recorded “Dark End Of The Street”.

-Otis Clay “Live!” Victor – Otis Clay in one of my favorite soul singers. He has recorded two excellent concerts in Japan. The second one from 1984 is easily available on CD and is great. The first one from 1978 was issued only in Japan, only on vinyl and is very hard to find. This is the one I am talking about. One of the best deep deep soul albums ever with. The only Otis Clay album to have, really.

And some new stuff:

-Rolf Wiksfrokm “Live 2005” Black Light Records – live blues from Sweden in the vein of Albert King. Rolf sings in Swedish only but his voice is thundering and his backing band is super-tight. Plus, it was recorded and mixed by a guy responsible for the success of famous Roxette and the whole album sounds like an audiophile recording. Two CDs of pleasure with guitar, horns, piano and Hammond.

-The Imerial Crowns “Preachin’ The Blues - Live” Ruf Records – A band from California with JJ Holiday on guitar and Jimmie Wood on harp and vocals. They play a kick ass blues mixed with gospel and it sounds a bit psychedelic. One of the most intense live recordings ever made.

-Chris Jones & Steve Baker “Smoke And Noise” Acoustic Music – Another live set released by an audiophile label from Germany. Blues duo, acoustic guitar and harp but it’s nothing like Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee. Those guys create more energy than a rock group, plus Chris Jones picking and slide playing were so unique.

-And most recently… John Mayer “Where The Light Is” Columbia – Two CDs and a DVD with a live performance buy a young kid who is playing pop but also paying homage to the blues. I like his voice, storytelling and his ability to creating good songs.

Just an off-topic.

PD

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #25 of 73
$980 for a used pair of RS-1s is a stone-cold ripoff. Whomever is selling this is either trying to recoup as much of the cost he paid as he can (assuming he bought new in Europe) or is simply gouging because his location can allow it.

Even if you got stuck with shipping costs AND the VAT, you can get a quality pair of similar vintage for less than $700 USD with a little patience.

The only time an RS-1 would sell for that kind of dough and even be remotely acceptable is if we're talking about a TRUE vintage RS-1, with the brown headband.

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #26 of 73
The only reason to pay this ridiculous price for these phones is to impress your friends but don't ever let them compare the sound of the RS1 to the SR60 because then they'll know a fool and his money are soon parted.

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #27 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$980 for a used pair of RS-1s is a stone-cold ripoff. Whomever is selling this is either trying to recoup as much of the cost he paid as he can (assuming he bought new in Europe) or is simply gouging because his location can allow it.

Even if you got stuck with shipping costs AND the VAT, you can get a quality pair of similar vintage for less than $700 USD with a little patience.

The only time an RS-1 would sell for that kind of dough and even be remotely acceptable is if we're talking about a TRUE vintage RS-1, with the brown headband.

At the beginning of September my friend is visiting USA so I have to make up my mind till then – to avoid oversea shipping, taxes and VATs.

I could post a thread saying that I am willing to buy used RS1 in very good condition for a good price in USA dollars but I do not have enough posts to start such a “wanted” thread. Maybe anyone here wants to sell his/her RS1 or can help me with the add?

If I can’t find used RS1 in USA till September, should I go for new ones from JazzLoft or Headroom, or just stick to those older/used ones from Europe?

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #28 of 73
Just my $.02, but I use my 60s very often, but also own 225s.

When I listen to my 60s for awhile and then put on my 225s, I always think, "Wow, those 60s are great!" Then I put on my 60s again, after listening to my 225s and think, "Wow, these 60s are muddy!"

When I auditioned the RS1s, the same thing happened. Going from 225 to RS1, I thought the 225s were very close, but when I switched back, they sounded muddy compared to the RS1.

I can't imagine how muddy the 60s would sound after that test.

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #29 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I auditioned the RS1s, the same thing happened. Going from 225 to RS1, I thought the 225s were very close, but when I switched back, they sounded muddy compared to the RS1.

Yes, I would agree to an extent.
Had they cost less than twice the price of SR225 I may have kept them, but at 3+ times the cost I personally could not justify it for the relatively small difference in SQ.

Of course we all have a different idea of what is a good value and worthwhile expense.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #30 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I would agree to an extent.
Had they cost less than twice the price of SR225 I may have kept them, but at 3+ times the cost I personally could not justify it for the relatively small difference in SQ.

Of course we all have a different idea of what is a good value and worthwhile expense.

Actually, in retrospect, I think the effect is less drastic between RS1 and 225 than it is from 225 and 60.

It has been said before, but 225 is really the sweet spot, value for money, of the entire line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back