Grado SR60 vs RS1. Ten times better? | Edit: BOUGHT RS1
Aug 2, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #46 of 73
Congrats on the RS-1, and it's the button version to boot!

I personally like the RS-2 better than the RS-1; RS-1 is too laidback and boring compared to the RS-2 IMO.

Also, I would say that after you listened to other nice cans, the SR-60/80 tends to sound like a cheap radio; tinny, if you will.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #47 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the RS-1, and it's the button version to boot!

Thank you. About RS1, please keep in mind the price I paid for those (shipping included)… With Polish dealer prices as a reference they have cost me only four times more than SR60! New Grado SR60 cost $69 in USA so with that ratio in mind my RS1 would cost $276 – how is that for a good value?

They are on their way to Poland now and should reach me early next week. I can’t wait to give them a good listen.

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #48 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must not have heard the PS-1's or the HP-1000's, both of which stomp the RS-1.

have heard both. found the ps1 too bass-heavy for my tastes. but you may be right about the hp-1000. those are some great headphones...too bad they're overpriced
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #49 of 73
There are plenty of people who prefer the RS-1's to the HP-1000's. I'm one of them. It is tough for me to decide which I prefer between the PS-1's and RS-1's though. Lately, my money would be the PS-1's. They have been my favourite for the past bunch of listening sessions.

Aug 3, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #51 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I would say that after you listened to other nice cans, the SR-60/80 tends to sound like a cheap radio; tinny, if you will.

Funny you say so. The comparisons I did between HD650 and SR60 (and SR80) didn't reveal any of that kind of tinnyness you're refering to. Both the SR60 and 80 had as much body than the 650. Ran by Corda Arietta.

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #52 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny you say so. The comparisons I did between HD650 and SR60 (and SR80) didn't reveal any of that kind of tinnyness you're refering to. Both the SR60 and 80 had as much body than the 650. Ran by Corda Arietta.

Huh...maybe I had the KSC75 on my ears too long while waiting for the SR 60 to arrive.
icon10.gif

But I'm sure others will agree with me...the SR 60 sounds great, but it seems to lack a real sense of volume and body to the vocals, if that were one major thing I could nitpick on a gateway drug to Head-Fi.
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #53 of 73
As a Blues fan myself, I think your going to be pleasantly surprised by the sound of the RS-1s. They're known for spot on guitar work and bring out the raw feel of a good Blues recording. A good amp will make you grin often.

Aug 4, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #54 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a Blues fan myself, I think your going to be pleasantly surprised by the sound of the RS-1s. They're known for spot on guitar work and bring out the raw feel of a good Blues recording. A good amp will make you grin often.

i agree with this. i love listening to blues with the rs1.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #55 of 73
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that my pair of Grado RS1 has reach me today (bought from Head-fi member “TK3”). It was worth to buy them! They are simply beautiful. It is the most beautiful pair I have seen (maybe because it is mine
k701smile.gif
) and I have seen tons of pictures at Head-fi. The color of wood, similar color of the buttons that are not "too flat", it’s all beautiful. And the way they sound is even better. I had a chance to do only a little listen with some background noise (it was raining outside and the wind was blowing like hell) but I love it. The blues sounds awesome with those, you were right. I am planning some serious listening tonight.

By the way, I don't find bowls as uncomfortable as people have mentioned, they just have a different fit that I need to get used to. But I have flats on their way here. I will need to decide which pad suits my tastes better.

PD

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #58 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel the same way. They are absolutely gorgeous. The idea behind wabi-sabi applies to them IMO. I really dislike very futuristic looking phones.

enjoy.!

Thank you for the link. The article helped me to more appreciate the slight imperfections and hand-made quality of my SR225s.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #59 of 73
[size=x-small]Thank you for the link, the article is very interesting. I do agree on futuristic phones, like AKG K701. I believe that man-made things are superior to machine-made things. There may be imperfections, but man-made thing carries a certain energy of it’s maker and machines don’t have energy in them. Anyway, RS1 look great and sound great. I did some listening yesterday with well recorded music – John Mayer, Buddy Guy and Charlie Musselwhite – and it was awesome. Plus, every time I put them on it feels special, like with drinking tea in Japanese culture. [/size]

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #60 of 73
Thus explains the appeal of the Grado, especially the woodies, and the basic beauty and appeal of the various hand-made Darth Beyers, too.

Beautiful to look at, to use, and to own. Art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back