Grado SR60 vs RS1. Ten times better? | Edit: BOUGHT RS1
Jul 24, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, in retrospect, I think the effect is less drastic between RS1 and 225 than it is from 225 and 60.

It has been said before, but 225 is really the sweet spot, value for money, of the entire line.

I think the sr325i is the other sweet spot . . . . . it's beautiful as well good sounding, but IMO it fills a slightly different void in one's headphone collection than the sr225.
I actually prefer the looks of the 325 but the lightweight feel of the 225, and RS1 does compete well with both in that regard.

In a perfect would I'd have them all
cool.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #33 of 73
OK, Guys, so coming back to the point. I’ve decided I will buy RS1 in USA as my friend is going there in September and can bring me them VAT free.

Now, what would you do… Buy a brand new pair, without buttons, from JazzLoft or Headroom, or for pretty much the same price buy a slightly used pair of older RS1 with buttons?

By slightly used I mean 2-4 months and still under warranty. New or used in this case? Remember we are talking about regular American prices.

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #34 of 73
Are there definitive impressions indicating the older models sound different from the new models?

I have a REAL vintage pair...brown headband, gold lettering...the original deal and although I haven't had weeks on end with a newer pair, the other pairs I have heard have always sounded the same to me. These were all button versions mind you, I've never heard the non-button ones.

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #35 of 73
All is a matter of synergy and liking. For me there is a significant difference between the SR325i and the SR225. The latter don't do a single thing better than the SR60's. They are still unrefined headphones to boot. The SR325i is the first hi-end Grado model IMHO, and if they shrill, then the rest of the equipment needs rearrangement. The RS1's which I know only from the buttonless version, are just more even and refined SR325i's. Not the case with the RS2's which are a different beast than the other two, like from a slightly different story. There is quite a lot of people who prefer them to the RS1's including me. There is just a touch of surrealism in the RS1's compared to the RS2's and I don't actually need it. I prefer more realism to the slightly Barocco style presentation of the RS1's. The Allesandro MS2i model was a big disappointment to me. I owned the SR325i's and the only better thing about the Alessandro headphones was the deeper soundstage but the SR325i's are still impressive in this field. Besides of that you get truly neutral midrange, less controled, pillow-like bass, and colorless, cold trebles, with no timbral differentiation just freezing white. So, summarizing I could say the GS1000's are best of both worlds - Grado's and Alessandro's, with great soundstage added. Just because of this fact I completely don't understand buying the RS1's for $980. If not the GS1000's, you can buy new RS2's for a half of this price in the US.

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #36 of 73
I am going out in a moment so this will be a short one but I wanted to let you know that I have bought the RS1 this morning – waiting for bank transfer to clear out and then for the seller to send them my way.

I was very lucky! I bought them used (with buttons), in very good condition for $550 total including shipping within EU, that means no taxes or VAT problems. With American prices in mind I think it is a good deal. With Polish dealer’s prices this is a bargain! For the price of those RS1 I could buy 4 pairs of new SR60s in Poland, so I think that was a great deal.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me and I promise I will share mine with you when I receive those cans. If those were designed with Buddy Guy in mind… I can’t wait!

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #37 of 73
Well, I bought my RS2's while being in the US but have to admit that paying with a foreign credit card is a pain in the ass in US online stores. Some of them just refuse to sell, some others need several days to verify your card, see its pictures with a copy of your ID submitted, too. Polish official prices for Grado headphones are still a joke but the dealers responded to the dollar exchange. However, there is another option of buying burnt-in phones from GRADO__FAN via Allegro, and it's cheaper, too. However, it won't ever reach the US price level as he has to pay VAT and duty fee as well.

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #39 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrzemekDraheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, do you happen to have a pair of like-new or gently used Grado Flat Pads to sell through PayPal? Please, PM me if interested.

Someone had some for sale in the For Sale forums, and TTVJ sells new ones and accepts PayPal

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #40 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone had some for sale in the For Sale forums, and TTVJ sells new ones and accepts PayPal

Yes, but... Those at For Sale forum were for USA sale only and those at Todd's will be super expensive to ship to Poland - $22 for a pair of $25 pads (I have a $10 off first-purchase code). Last week I have e-mailed Todd to ask about a cheaper shipping rate with USPS International Air Mail - while ordering Senn414 pads from eBay I paid $2 for shipping with this method. Todd answered me that he can try this and can look into shipping rates but haven't heard back from him yet on that.

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #41 of 73
Although I haven't heard an RS1 recently, I will say the gap from SR80 -RS2 is HEAVILY exaggerated here.

There is no doubt a difference between the two, but easily, VERY easily however, if I had to choose based on price (which is a factor for many here), SR80 every time. The price is just too much for the gains that are given. No doubt the RS2 is better, but nowhere near the difference in price. NOWHERE.

My feelings are apparently the same with a couple of the local members I've talked to. Amazingly enough, I didn't know there were other head-fiers in my area, and they seemed to share the same impressions...amazingly enough, they don't post here much either, but are well aware of what's going on, lol. one of them has even owned all the Grado's, Senns, and most everything else out there aside from the crazy collectible stuffs. And sentiments shared are the same. Points of diminishing returns is amazing on some things....hence the reason he still lugs around SR60's, but not much anything else....

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #42 of 73
i'm a little late to this thread but here's my 2 cents...the sr60 are the best price/performance headphones. period. so much sound for so little dough. but the rs1, IMHO, are the best dynamic headphones i've heard (i've not listened to the r10 but every other top-tier dynamic headphone). like it better than the k1000 properly amped. all, IMHO, of course
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm a little late to this thread but here's my 2 cents...the sr60 are the best price/performance headphones. period. so much sound for so little dough. but the rs1, IMHO, are the best dynamic headphones i've heard (i've not listened to the r10 but every other top-tier dynamic headphone). like it better than the k1000 properly amped. all, IMHO, of course
wink.gif

Have you tried Denon AH-D1001 or Creative Aurvana Live! ? IMHO they both win over performance and price/performance ratio of the SR60's. When you replace the stock cable in the Creative's (actually Foster, same with Denon), they smash every headphone in price/performance ratio, and most headphones in terms of overall performance/SQ. Funny but true.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #44 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried Denon AH-D1001 or Creative Aurvana Live! ? IMHO they both win over performance and price/performance ratio of the SR60's. When you replace the stock cable in the Creative's (actually Foster, same with Denon), they smash every headphone in price/performance ratio, and most headphones in terms of overall performance/SQ. Funny but true.
smily_headphones1.gif

no, i haven't heard either of these so perhaps my declaration on the sr60 needs to be rethought...but no, i can't be wrong, can i?
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

You must not have heard the PS-1's or the HP-1000's, both of which stomp the RS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back