Grado sr60 best bang for my buck for monitoring bass guitar? (or others in the price range)
Dec 13, 2010 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Deathshead

New Head-Fier
Hi there, After years of dealing with in-ears I have had it, my ears are always terribly sore,
isolation issues, etc.

I play bass guitar and I like to play along with certain track to learn timing etc..
I play a wide variety of music.. from smooth jazz to hardcore punk rock.

Im looking for a set of cans on-ear or even better over ear with good isolation and tight bass something not too harsh to cause the terrible ear fatigue i have been suffering.

Looking for some warmth without loosing highs, something to give life to mp3..

The issue is my price range. (around $75 until tax time.)

I have heard nothing but great things about the Grado SR60s, Could these possibly work for me for what I do?,  I have heard that they are very loud and would not work at all in any semi quiet settings? like someone would have a hard time watching television in the same room?

Can anyone reccomend something that could possibly be better for that Im looking for over the grados for any reason?  

I used to love as a kid using my fathers old tank 60s akgs over ears they were so comfortable.

Thank you all for your help and have a great holiday!

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 9
Though I don't play bass, I don't think the grados will do well as their backs have holes in them (aka open cans). This means sound leaks in and out, making monitoring difficult.

I would recommend the audio technica m50s. A much more studio oriented can.

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 9
exactly, open cans wont really work for me,..im guessing they are really loud to the outside world?   I guess they are off the list.

closed cans in the sr60 price range...

Warmer without loosing high end. 
good tight bass
decent instrument separation.

I guess is that im looking for then.

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 9
The Creative Aurvana Live! fits nicely into your budget. They are rebranded Denon D1001's. They are a lot warmer sounding than the treble oriented SR60's. They also have decent isolation, and are very comfortable.

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 9
hmm, the m50s never seemed warm to me, and their highs sparkle.

You should still try it out though, it has worked for many :D

Try the AKG K240s too, they're only slightly more than your price point and they're also great studio cans. Don't have much to choose from at that price point though, if nothing seems appealing you might want to save up and get better cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back