Grado SR325is or Denon D5000 ?
Nov 19, 2010 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Chris13

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Here is my first post at headfi, I hope you will be able to answers to my question...

I was planning to buy a Grado SR325is (with G cush pad).
I mainly listen to rock music, even if I have never heard at a Grado before, I like the "magic" they seems to have.

But here is my drawback : it will be used mainly at my office, my colleagues are around 3 meters around me.
So my questions : would they be able to hear the headphone sound ? would they be disturbing by the headphone sound ?

In that case I was thinking at getting a Denon D5000 which seems also a great headphone with the advantage of a closed architecture for office use.
But will I miss the "magic" of the Grado? sondstage, warmth, etc.

Again thanks for all

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 9
Welcome to HeadFi, and sorry about your wallet.

Open headphones do tend to "leak" sound, and Grados are the worst offender here, if thats the way we look at it.  The Grados do sound awesome with rock though.  For office use the Denons would be a far better choice, not only because they are closed headphones, but because you'll most likely find them far more comfortable than the Grados for extended periods of time.  So I would go with the Denons, unless you can comfortably listen to "on ear" headphones like grados for hours on end, and like to listen softly. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 9
Thank you for my wallet :)

The G cush seems to set the Grado more confortable, at least that is what peoples are saying.
By listening softly you mean that otherwise peoples around me could be disturbing or hearing easily the sound of an open headphone ?

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 9
though it's loud the grados won't be loud enough to annoy your friends. (unless you're crazy listening to ridiculously high volumes)

plus I don't think they could get annoyed with the headphone sound even if you blast your headphones. It's 3 meters away man XD
Even my sister won't get annoyed when she's just sitting beside me
(unless your office mates hate you and always trying to dig out your bad points)

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 9
Kboe is right, for office use the Denons will be way more comfortable. I've had both the d2000 and SR225 and I liked the 225 better but I listen to stuff like Joe Bonamassa and Government Mule. High energy guitar oriented rock. The Grado to me is a better sounding phone. The d2000 though sounded pretty good just was a bit laid back for my tastes which is probably better if your trying to work and listen to music at the same time; and the comfort factor of the Denon's versus the Grado's is night and day.  

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 9
Grados are notorious for leaking sound, but being open is what makes them sound great and is essential to the signature Grado sound.  I use my 325is as the office quite a bit, but keep the volume at a respectable level so it doesn't annoy the guy sitting at the desk across from me and to also hear when people are talking to me (I should add that he is an audiophile, but is not into head-fi).  I think you'll be okay if you go with the Grados.  Just don't jam out like you would at home and you should be alright.  The G-Cush pads fit around your ears so they are more comfortable than the stock L-Cush pads.  You will hear a difference that you may or may not like so just be aware of that.    

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 9
Thank for all your answers.

I think I will take the Denon road because:

- Grado seems to be the open headphone which have the most sound leakage (Denon D5000 seems also to have sound leakage at high volume, but less than Grado)
- Denon would be more confortable
- Denon design is very nice, love their mahogany speakers
- Sound quality seems very high (soundstage presence, fidelity, etc)
- Even if I listen rock mostly Denon seems more versatile than Grado for other types of music
- B&H makes a good price for them (around 390$)

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 9
Denons tend to leak sound.  And the bass bleeds into the midrange that is already recessed.
How about ATH-ESW9 or 10?

They are grado like and seal in sound better.

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 9
Out of the two, I would go with the Denon because of noise isolation. IMO there is no point in high end audio if there are noisy disturbances around to ruin your music. Im not sure how people around here can put up with no isolation unless their room, AC, computer, pets, neighbors etc... are all quiet. Open headphones might perform better, but in the real world they dont IMO unless you LIVE in isolation itself.

Also, the 325 and D5000 are almost total opposites in sound. I personally didnt like the D5000 with metal. Grado however makes the guitars sound great and has fast tight bass, perfect for metal. D5000 would be more for rap or pop music. If you want rock/metal cans, id personally suggest looking at other closed options. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back