Grado SR325i Question(s)
Sep 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Heya,

So I picked up some 325 goldies. But I'm concerned about them. They terminate into a 3.5mm jack (which says Grado on the side of the plug). Has a gold 1/4th adapter. I thought they were supposed to terminate into 1/4"? Both the past 325 and new 325 terminuate to 1/4". The drivers have "3048" etched into each cup on the plastic on the side under where the pad seats. Any ideas how to identify what has gone on with these headphones? They apparently have gone through repairs and I have the paper work, but it doesn't specify what kind of repair. Is there any way I can easily identify the drivers to be real 325 drivers, instead of just some lower model snuck into a 325 shell?

Very best,

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 6
Not really sure about it, but Grado do mark their drivers.

I think the SR80i are #32. But not sure about the SR325i

Did you buy them off a sketchy market or place? Might want to contact grado if you can verify with them.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Not really sure about it, but Grado do mark their drivers.

I think the SR80i are #32. But not sure about the SR325i

Did you buy them off a sketchy market or place? Might want to contact grado if you can verify with them.

Heya,

Got them here on Head-Fi.

The back of my SR60's have 32 on the driver (I can see through the grill and see it). The gold 325's I have "5/11" etched on the back of the driver oddly. The SR60's have it printed in like courier font or something, not hand etched. These 325's have that weird 5/11 etched on them, scratched in by hand. Other than that, not really finding any other markers that I can go by.

Edit: Just to add, the 325's sound different from the 60's, the bass is different, the highs are different (but not by a lot to my ears). The 60's sound a little more congested compared to the 325's. And the 325's have more punch. So I'm not too concerned, but I'm just interested to see what all I can find out since these headphones have under-gone work (cable is different, one swivel was obviously repaired, and fasteners added to the swivels to keep drivers in place permanently (adjustable with alen wrench).

Very best,

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 6
Sounds like the ex-owner asked for a 3.5mm hard re-cable
during the repair.

Believe it or not I've seen a few threads where people are
prepared to cut or recable a 325i to get out of paying
$14.95 for a Grado adapter. 

Otherwise, nothing for it but to open up those
puppies for a proper inspection.

Smells like the real deal though from your
recap'.

Good to hear you're on the metal Grado wagon

numbers seem to match up btw, I've got serial
#4790 (matt finish)

Are you going to G-cush them?

Interested to hear your thoughts if you do,
I've gone back to bowls from the HD414 pads
just recently.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 6
Sounds like Sr325is to me

And I would think it was a recable on Grado's part. It's not like they wouldn't do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back