Grado SR225i or Denon D2000 for metal?
Jun 5, 2011 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Morn

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at either buying the Grado SR225i or Denon D2000 for metal(black, death, doom, etc..). I do know the Grado's are better for metal but hearing all the comfort problems makes me uneasy to commit to them, or are they actually not that bad? I'll be wearing them for a good amount of time, so they have to be comfortable for an extended time. Also I hear the Denon's are very comfortable and pretty decent for metal but I'm a little worried about the bass being too boomy.

I've had my Sennheiser HD25-1 II for about 3-4 years now and they still kill my ears after about 30 minutes to an hour, which I love the sound of them, but if the Grado's are like that or worse I'll just go straight for the Denon's or something else if I can be convinced otherwise.

I can't try them out at a store since the area I live in Canada doesn't have anything locally. :frowning2:

I'll be running these on the Schiit Asgard from my Ipod and PC.

Thanks for the help!

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 3
My experience with the Grados are that the comfort is allright. Not as good as my DT880, but I can easily wear them for a couple of hours.

When it comes to metal, I would prefer the Denons though, even though they do have kind of a "boomy" bass. I know that many people consider the Grados as a great can for rock music, but personally I find it to "cosy" for rock music. Jazz on the other hand sounds excellent on Grados.

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 3
225i should work fine. I think the Denon may be a bit soft and homogenized for metal, in the long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back