grado sr225i a good beginner phone?
Jan 1, 2011 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

siegelng

New Head-Fier
Trying to decide on a set of headphones to buy, this will be my first pair. I mostly listen to music from my macbook pro or my iphone, so I'd prefer a headphone that doesn't necessarily require an amp, but it could be in the cards somewhere (most of the stuff I listen to is flac though). I heard that the grado sr225i are ok for this purpose. I understand that I would need a 1/4 to 1/8 inch converter plug if I got these.

My budget is 300$ or less, and I have no preference between open or closed headphones. The music I like to listen to is mostly high quality jam band stuff and classic rock, with hip hop as well. I've done a lot of research and still can't decide on a good pair. I'm afraid of buying, for instance, a pair of AKG 701s, and finding out that they suck at playing my music... yet I also don't want a recommendation of a cheap $100 pair of "safe" headphones.

any recommendations would be extremely appreciated, thanks in advance

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 5
I can recommend the SR225, they are my favorite cans (my HF-2's didn't arrive yet)
Excellent starter, you're right about the converter (Grado makes them also)

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 5
225 will be great for your jam band and classic rock, but you will be disappointed with hip-hop. Grado's are fairly limited with what genres work best.

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 5
Grados can easily be used without an amp, but don't let that fool you into thinking you will get near the best that they have to offer without one. The SR225's are a good headphone. I don't like them much personally, I prefer the SR325 a lot more, but most people for whatever reason seem to like the 225 better. I guess what I am trying to say...yeah...they are good headphones but they like to be amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back