Grado SR225e owner: SR325e vs PS500e vs RS2e - which way to upgrade?
Apr 10, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #137 of 176

I have also owned the PS500e but I prefer the 225e with the tape mod.

The wood cups underneath the aluminum shells of the 500 seem to improve musicality. As do the metal grilles on 225i.

Both of these cans share a unique or sweet spot in the Grado line.

As stated earlier, the PS 500 is the only dark Grado.

The 225 is the best and purist example of the SR line, known for its slam and "sitting on the stage with the band" sound signature.  Although less so with the e model, the 325 was significantly brighter than all its little SR brothers.  The 325, while bringing more and better bass, also began to spread the sound stage--as a first step to the the way the RS cans do.  I hear the 325 as a true transition can from the SR series to the RS series.

May 23, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #139 of 176
I had the 325es which I love. I love the clarity and the high treble doesn't bother me too much. I was thinking about getting the ps500e hps but I'm worried they might sound muffled or too warm in comparison. Would this be the case or is the ps500e still just as clear sounding but less harshness?

May 23, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #140 of 176
I have the 325es which I love. I love the clarity and the high treble doesn't bother me too much. I was thinking about getting the ps500e hps but I'm worried they might sound muffled or too warm in comparison. Would this be the case or is the ps500e still just as clear sounding but less harshness?

Only heard the PS-500e once and that was 6 months ago so don't put too much weight in my impressions:

The 500e is a better balanced sounding headphone than the 325e from my memory of them.  I have a modded 225e and a lightly modded RS2e.  The RS2e was a touch smoother sounding than the 500e when I heard both at the same time.

I would say that the 500e would be a touch less harsh and have a better low end than the 325e

May 24, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #143 of 176
I recently purchased a barely used / nearly new 325e from a fellow Head-Fi'er who says he only used it literally for a couple of hours, and I believe him... looks brand new and I think might explain why they sound "too" bright for me. I compared against the Alessandro MS2i and found them substantially brighter. Haven't done enough comparison because I have the MS2i here at home and the 325e headphones at the office presently, but I found when comparing the 325e to my HE-400 and HD 600 headphones that the 325e were too bright by comparison.

I'm thinking maybe they need some burn-in time, though, since he used them a couple of hours and I've only added another 4 hours or so far to that.

Presently, I prefer the MS2i to the 325e, though I might change my mind after I give the 325e more burn-in time.

May 24, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #144 of 176
I recently purchased a barely used / nearly new 325e from a fellow Head-Fi'er who says he only used it literally for a couple of hours, and I believe him... looks brand new and I think might explain why they sound "too" bright for me. I compared against the Alessandro MS2i and found them substantially brighter. Haven't done enough comparison because I have the MS2i here at home and the 325e headphones at the office presently, but I found when comparing the 325e to my HE-400 and HD 600 headphones that the 325e were too bright by comparison.

I'm thinking maybe they need some burn-in time, though, since he used them a couple of hours and I've only added another 4 hours or so far to that.

Presently, I prefer the MS2i to the 325e, though I might change my mind after I give the 325e more burn-in time.

I don't know if the 325e will change much with use time, I had one for 3 weeks and put on about 150+ hours and it didn't change at all.  That's why I sent them back and got the 225e, less bright and a touch more comfortable due to less weight.  I tried the 225e drivers in a wood cup which was really nice, put them back in the original cups as I wanted to used the wood cups for some V6 drivers.  Also added some dynamat around the cup and sorbothane on the back of the driver, these mods make the 225e better than most sub $500 headphone

May 24, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #145 of 176
  I don't know if the 325e will change much with use time, I had one for 3 weeks and put on about 150+ hours and it didn't change at all.  That's why I sent them back and got the 225e, less bright and a touch more comfortable due to less weight.  I tried the 225e drivers in a wood cup which was really nice, put them back in the original cups as I wanted to used the wood cups for some V6 drivers.  Also added some dynamat around the cup and sorbothane on the back of the driver, these mods make the 225e better than most sub $500 headphone

Hmmm... so I will have to listen to it more and see if my brain burns in. :)

I tend to find that my brain does adjust to different headphones' sound signatures after some time, and unless they are just way too far from something my ears enjoy, my brain adjusts and it becomes quite enjoyable.  For some reason on Saturday when I last listened to them before just now, they sounded way too bright.

Have them on now... might already be sounding better.... 

May 24, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #146 of 176
  Hmmm... so I will have to listen to it more and see if my brain burns in. :)

I tend to find that my brain does adjust to different headphones' sound signatures after some time, and unless they are just way too far from something my ears enjoy, my brain adjusts and it becomes quite enjoyable.  For some reason on Saturday when I last listened to them before just now, they sounded way too bright.

Have them on now... might already be sounding better.... 

I can see brain burn-in happening, the human brain can adjust so fast to changes in the environment that we are usually un-aware, its like with photography, the eyes make most different color temperatures of light seem normal while the camera needs to adjust the white balance and it doesn't always do a great job.

One of the great things about most Grado headphones is that you can always mod them to tune the sound to you liking.

Hope the 325e works out for you

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #147 of 176
I liked the 325e best, but I can see why people would prefer the RS1 or 2e's warmer sound profile.

I really enjoy the 325es as well. They definitely sound brighter than any other grado I've tried and are extremely clear sounding. I was always worried that anything less bright I would hate and think it was not clear but I got the RS1i's the other day and they sound so realistic. Everything I listen to sounds like I'm at a live concert unlike any other brand of headphone I've tried so far. The 325e does this well also but from what I remember when I had it it didn't seem to sound as "live" but was pretty close the rs1i. I'm not sure what makes the difference I'm guessing the wooden cups...

The 325e probably beats the rs1i in that very clear sparkle on top tho that it has.

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #149 of 176
  So, for anyone that has had experience with the RS2e, how is the sound quality of the RS2e with G-Cush?  Does it alter the sound for the worse, negligible, or make it better?

Brings the mids forward a little too much, highs are slightly muted, looses some of the sparkle, sound stage is slightly better, bass gets a touch boomy

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #150 of 176

Brings the mids forward a little too much, highs are slightly muted, looses some of the sparkle, sound stage is slightly better, bass gets a touch boomy

My impression
RS1e, it's good regardless how you deal with them.
RS2e, don't do G pads.
325e, G pads help if you like HD650 as well. By the way this can is very good, worth buying. 
PS500, G pads are a must.
PS500e, G pads are a must but L is still good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back