Grado SR225e owner: SR325e vs PS500e vs RS2e - which way to upgrade?
Sep 29, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #106 of 176

Canadian Maple works well on the cups. 
biggrin.gif

Alright thank you.

My suggestion would be to buy them, its a lot of work to make the cups and its not just using a hole saw bit, most are made using a lathe, and you will still need to finish them and get  grill material.  Check out these https://www.etsy.com/search?q=grado%20wood%20cups

I looked at this website a few times. I didn't see mahogany before.

Some of those are a better price than I expected like the mahogany at £55. It might be a better option than making, because the drill bits will cost about £90. I was thinking of making a straight edged cup like the RS2e though. Then I was intent on salvaging the grill from the discarded 225e plastic cups.

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #107 of 176

Alright thank you.

I looked at this website a few times. I didn't see mahogany before.

Some of those are a better price than I expected like the mahogany at £55. It might be a better option than making, because the drill bits will cost about £90. I was thinking of making a straight edged cup like the RS2e though. Then I was intent on salvaging the grill from the discarded 225e plastic cups.

The wood cups on the site changes quite often so need to check often.  I don't know if you can salvage the grill from the 225e to use in your wood cup but then I never tried to remove them.  You also might want to get good ear pads like these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/L-Cush-Foam-Replacement-Cushion-For-SR-60i-80i-125i-225i-325i-GS-1000i-Headphone-/261483385447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item3ce19fd267&_uhb=1

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #108 of 176

The wood cups on the site changes quite often so need to check often.  I don't know if you can salvage the grill from the 225e to use in your wood cup but then I never tried to remove them.  You also might want to get good ear pads like these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/L-Cush-Foam-Replacement-Cushion-For-SR-60i-80i-125i-225i-325i-GS-1000i-Headphone-/261483385447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item3ce19fd267&_uhb=1

If those pads are deeper they might be great for folks with GH-1. Everyone seems to conclude the GH-1 sounds better with G-cush.

Plus one1speed said in this thread said they wear the l-pads during summer because they are cooler. However preferring the g-cush sound.

Those www.etsy.com cups need re-soldering, and while I have an electronics degree, I still freak out at the thought. 

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #109 of 176

If those pads are deeper they might be great for folks with GH-1. Everyone seems to conclude the GH-1 sounds better with G-cush.

Plus one1speed said in this thread said they wear the l-pads during summer because they are cooler. However preferring the g-cush sound.

Those www.etsy.com cups need re-soldering, and while I have an electronics degree, I still freak out at the thought. 

The pads also seem to be made two difference materials or different density, look closely at a true Grado pad and you will notice the different material construction, this has an effect on the sound.

I know how you feel about soldering, you can always practice with a cheap headphone driver to see if how to do it.  Some of it has to do with how well you can control the heat, the size of the tip, the solder you use, and the flux you use, need to do some experimenting.

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #110 of 176
Thank you again for the input.

One of my 225e gimbals broke today. It made me understand that I should really have two pairs of headphones. Being without for potentially a week is not funny. Maybe I should take this as an opportunity to seek out a second pair of Grado in upgrade to my 225e.

I think if I bought the 325e then I think I would for sure put wood cups on my 225e. It only makes sense.

However my upgrade choice is limited. I trust Amazon with their fair returns proceedure. Whereas you can end up chasing other compaines all over for a return or money back. The problem is Amazon only stock the 325e above my 225e. They stopped selling the RS2e ages ago.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #111 of 176
  Thank you again for the input.

One of my 225e gimbals broke today. It made me understand that I should really have two pairs of headphones. Being without for potentially a week is not funny. Maybe I should take this as an opportunity to seek out a second pair of Grado in upgrade to my 225e.

I think if I bought the 325e then I think I would for sure put wood cups on my 225e. It only makes sense.

However my upgrade choice is limited. I trust Amazon with their fair returns proceedure. Whereas you can end up chasing other compaines all over for a return or money back. The problem is Amazon only stock the 325e above my 225e. They stopped selling the RS2e ages ago.

try Crutchfield, they have free shipping and are pretty good with returns, don't know if they ship to UK

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #112 of 176
I think the RS1i should definitely be included in consideration, for upgrading from the 225e. It's such a shame that Grado didn't just give the RS1e the normal e-revision. Instead they designed a new sized headphone driver and housing, and messed it up.

With the RS2e being a resounding success, I imagine the RS1e could have been too.

Dec 26, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #113 of 176
@ GreenBow

I bought the 500e's and the 325e's.

I loved the 500e's from the first listen. 
The 325e's are initially dazzling, but they're too hot at the very top
for my taste.  Less bright than the 325is's, though.
Also, I personally don't use a lot of time looking at graphs in attempting to
sort out the sound of headphones.  As you yourself noted,
they capture only certain aspects of sound.  And even those are not
always 100% accurate.

Finally, as one of the "early adopters" of the RS1e - bought them upon
their release - I'll confirm that they were a disappointment and could not
compare with my RS1i's (which I still have and enjoy very much). 

Dec 26, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #115 of 176
@zazex Do you still have the 325e? I wondered if they filled out in the bass enough to equal out the top end. They say that burn-in with the e-series does that.

I admit I have been very curious about the PS500e. It's because they say the 500e and 1000e are lighter than the previous generation. Whereas some found the PS500 bass heavy.

Anyway I cooled off on getting some more headphones because I bought another DAC and some active speakers. However it's not gone as planned. The DAC has all kinds of issues and is still in its box sealed; long story. The active speakers are fine, but they have an issue when made to work near field, meaning on desktop. They are brilliant but they lose quite a bit of bass. Whereas when you sit back, the bass fills out.

It's leaving me wondering if I should return the speakers and give up on the idea completely. Then think more about some more Grado. Or keep them and compromise.  

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #116 of 176
  @zazex Do you still have the 325e? I wondered if they filled out in the bass enough to equal out the top end. They say that burn-in with the e-series does that.

I admit I have been very curious about the PS500e. It's because they say the 500e and 1000e are lighter than the previous generation. Whereas some found the PS500 bass heavy.

Anyway I cooled off on getting some more headphones because I bought another DAC and some active speakers. However it's not gone as planned. The DAC has all kinds of issues and is still in its box sealed; long story. The active speakers are fine, but they have an issue when made to work near field, meaning on desktop. They are brilliant but they lose quite a bit of bass. Whereas when you sit back, the bass fills out.

It's leaving me wondering if I should return the speakers and give up on the idea completely. Then think more about some more Grado. Or keep them and compromise.  

I no longer have the 325e's; I returned them after just about one month.

I thought the bass was very good -- my only issue was that very tizzy top.

I wholeheartedly recommend the PS500e's.  As to their weight, they actually
seem lighter than the 325e's.  And not bass heavy at all, but a clean, tight bass.

Great headphones IMO.

Regarding those other issues, I'll refrain from giving an opinion as I don't have
all  the facts, etc.

Jan 16, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #117 of 176
GreenBow
I have also tried RS2e and loved them. I am saving money now on them. Full bodied, rich, detailed sound, similar to my speakers Tannoy DC6Tse. Mostly very melodic.

But there are many ways to improve the sound you have now.
Have you bought a better usb cable for your Explorer? I did for mine. Also you should consider iFi usb 3.0, you'll get the most out of the Explorer. :wink:

Tibor

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #118 of 176

@GreenBow,
If looking for speakers and headphone setup for a desktop try looking in to a Teac AH-01, has a decent DAC, and will power speakers.  I’m using some cheap Fluance speakers wall mounted with a Infinity sub, most of the time I don’t turn on the sub, there is more than enough bass.  The headphones amp side is ok, better than my Magni.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #119 of 176
@GreenBow
I have also tried RS2e and loved them. I am saving money now on them. Full bodied, rich, detailed sound, similar to my speakers Tannoy DC6Tse. Mostly very melodic.

But there are many ways to improve the sound you have now.
Have you bought a better usb cable for your Explorer? I did for mine. Also you should consider iFi usb 3.0, you'll get the most out of the Explorer. :wink:

Tibor

I have a Furutech Formula 2 with Meridian Explorer. However I didn't hear any difference.

I have been using a Chord Mojo for a while. It's the DAC I mentioned had issues. It has good sound but I am very unsure about it.

I think not using the Mojo and better headphones with the Explorer might be the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back