Grado SR225e owner: SR325e vs PS500e vs RS2e - which way to upgrade?
Aug 2, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #76 of 176
  The cheapest wood cups that I found were mahogany @ $75, the walnut one $100 and the rose wood $120.  Its hard to make a comparison since the design of the cups are slightly different but the best one with the PX-100ii driver is the walnut.

Top: RS2e and SSR-225e, this is before I installed SMC connectors
Bottom: rose wood (MDR-7506 headband), walnut (SR-60 headband w/ Vibro blk manta leather), mahogany (vivitar headband) SennGrado's, walnut didn't have SMC connectors yet, reused cable from SR-60i.

Since I've built the 3 senngrado, I've put on hold taking the drivers from the SR-225e into wood cups, might not be much of an improvement so keeping the SR-225e as is and selling it might be a better move.

I love grado mods

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #77 of 176
Mmm those headphones look the best.

I was just now looking for wood cups. I found this. https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/YewWoodworks?section_id=14925870&ref=shopsection_leftnav_1

It is affordable. Unfortunately I do not know how the wood will sound. Since Grado use mahogany I would look for that as a preference. Secondly obvioulsy maple would be nice, given the astonishing response to the GH-1. Also I would be confident to give walnut a try.

I am only interested in getting wood cups because I think it will smooth out and enhance the 225e. I wouldn't do it if it was only aesthetic.

I stopped thinking of upgrading recently. Then was spurned on by a group test in What Hi-Fi, won by the 325e. In only a few paragraphs the language about them was enticing.

I am also looking for some desktop speaker option for my desk. Still thinking carefully about what I need. Juggling between something like the Ruark Audio MR1, or the Denon M-40DAB + speakers. (Both review very well.)

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #78 of 176
I just wanted to thank all you guys who participated in this thread and the OP for starting it.  I've been wanting to get a pair of open back headphones and I liked what I'd read in the past about Grado. But which pair to get?  

The SR-325e and RS2e were squarely in my price range, but I could have gone higher for the RS1e or PS500e if it seemed worth it.  There isn't a local store that stocks Grado and even if there was, since I was going to use some Amazon gift cards, I wouldn't want to use a brick and mortar as a showroom for someone else's online sale.

So I looked for opinions and found this thread.  More than any other of the various sources of information I found, this thread helped me make my decision.  To be honest, when it comes to "professional" reviews, I prefer to read what regular enthusiastic people have to say about stuff.  Head-fi is nothing if not a collection of opinions by enthusiastic people!

Long story short(er), I got the RS2e cans today.  I love them.  So far I've been listening to them paired to a JDS Labs C5D connected to a gen 5.5 iPod via LOD.  One thing I did get along with them (and I'm glad I did) was a pair of Ear Zonk G pads.  

They had everything I was looking for:  extended but not overstated bass, mids that were present and somewhat forward but still warm, and highs that are able to capture detail and "air" without being harsh.

So, thanks again guys!

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #79 of 176
@fonsecaj, glad you are enjoying your RS2e.

I tried the Ear Zonk G pads and didn't like the feel, the original Grado L pads are more comfortable for me, maybe my ears are on the smaller side so they fit better.  Also noticed that the Ear Zonk G & L pads change the sound slightly, tried them on my RS2e, SR-225e and the 3 SennGrados that I've built, for most the bass is not as tight and the highs become a little recessed, they lose the sparkle that make Grado's fun for me.  Might have to do with the construction of the pads, the Grado pads seem to be made of two different density foam while the Ear Zonk is just a single material.

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #80 of 176
@ fonsecaj

RS2e. Nice. 

With reference to the stock L-cushion on the RS2e. Some people new to Grado find them hard to get on with. However this can all change with no cost. I made a thread about L-cushion comfort too. Here's the link. http://www.head-fi.org/t/754373/grado-l-cushion-comfort-for-sr225-ps500#post_11345196

I confidently think you'll end up loving your L-pads. They are quite cool thermally, and ultra-comfy.

I would like to get some headphones that specifically don't use the big Grado G-cush. Although I may change my mind about that. I mean if I were to opt for the PS500e, some say G-cush is best with them. Whereas I like the compact feeling and appearance of the L-cush. I am probably thinking too deeply about this though.

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #82 of 176
@GreenBow, I'm currently in Japan and have been staying at a friends house for his daughter's wedding.  He is a audio nut and has the $$$$$$$ to build a very large sound room and stock it with equipment ranging from mid-fi to ultra high end.  He also loves headphones for when he is at his condo in the city during the work week but has the majority at the weekend home where I'm staying.

I was able to listen to many different Grado's including GH-1, PS500e, RS2e, GS1000i, GS1000e, RS1i, Alessandro MS? (wood cup), Bushmill, and a few others using his high and ultra high end amps and DACs like AudioGD Master 7, Ygg, Chord Hugo TT, Cavalli liquid Gold, Eddie Current Balancing Act, Icon Audio, BH Crack, SEX, Mainline, WA2, WA22, WA7d, and more.

Yes the higher up Grado's sound better than the RS2e but unless you have the equipment to provide that higher quality signal then it becomes more of a different sound signature and even then its still within the Grado house sound.  A friend of his had made 2 SennGrados and brought them over to his house and after listening to them with his equipment he decided that he wanted to get some also but since he's so busy he asked me to build 3 of them for him, one using his SR-225e driver, one with PX-100ii, and the last with a old SR-60i his daughter had.  Best part of this deal building them for him is he's giving me his spare SR-009/SRM-007 that he says he doesn't use anymore.

After finishing the builds hopefully I'll have some time with them before he picks them up the next time he's in Hawaii.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #83 of 176
Chord Hugo TT - *passing out here*.

Yeah my DAC is a fairly basic Meridian Explorer (ME). I use my headphones on other gadgets like my Pure PocketDAB 1500. Again not an expensive item. However I am looking closely at the Sony NWZ-ZX1, or the Astel&Kern Jr. (The A&K Jr can act as a DAC also, which I think would best the ME.)

I should not knock the ME though because it's a good warm smooth sound. Not devoid of detail and clarity and top end sparkle, it is quite capable of great punch and depth. I hope with a headphone upgrade that I can pick out more detail from my ME and gadgets. Plus smooth it all out a little. Of course as I get other equipment, better headphones will come into their own.

I think part of my issue is that I have fairly rarely been overwhelmed by the 225e. Most of the time I am just OK-to-very-happy with them. Whereas the talk about the 325e is heady. I know people say there is little difference between close models. However this is not strictly true when you think about it. The SR60 and SR80 were quite different sounding headphones. Again the SR125 was different again to the SR80 and had a signature slightly more like the SR60, but with more detail and drive. The SR125i which I had before are quite different headphones to the 225e. I kind of the hope the 325e would bring an end to my upgrad-itis for a good while. I am sure the RS2e would cure my upgrading desires, and I am still curious about the PS500e.

I have been distracted from more Grados though, with looking at desktop speakers, and portable players. I keep looking at the stunning Ruark Audio MR1 to plug into my PC. Or I might go bonkers and buy an amp and B+W 685 S2, however I think that might be overkill. A good amp with those speakers would produce a huge sound, bigger than the room I would put them in.

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #84 of 176
@GreenBow, I agree with you that there is a difference between the various models but they still all have that Grado sound, I've heard the SR-325i and 325e and IMO there was only a slight difference in the mids, fully and smoother on the SR-325e, bass was about the same and the highs of the SR-325i were smoother sounding to me.  Comparing SR-225e and SR-325e there is a larger difference but for me the highs of the SR-325e were a little to bright/harsh, possibly due to the housing.

For me having the RS2e and SR-225e is enough of a representation of Grado headphones, I like different sound signatures so I'm always looking at different brands and don't have an "upgrade" mentality.  I've been looking at these headphones recently, Ultrasone Edition 8, Audio Quest NightHawk, Beyer DT-1770, and Mr Speaker Ether.  Heard all of them at my friends house and really like the DT-1770, one of the best closed headphone I've heard, Edition 8 is also a really good sounding closed headphone but not at the current price, NightHawk is close to HD-650 which is a good thing but would be redundant for me since I have HD-600/650, Ether sound is different from Hifiman and Audeze so might get one down the line.

I already have decent speakers (KEF 103.3 Reference, Magnapan 1.6, Rauna TYR) and amps (SAE X-10A, Harmon Kardon Citation XX, McIntosh MC2255, Mark Levinson ML-20), pre-amps, turn tables, and other stereo equipment, just lacking the space to use them, currently all in storage
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #85 of 176
@DavidA yep the 60, 80 125, and 225 all have the Grado timbre. I think that's what I love. I started with the original SR60 on a portable player, and the tone warmed me.

Edit: Afterthought. Yes I think it's a good plan keeping an open mind to other manufacturers.

@fonsecaj I forgot to say, you're welcome of course. When I was looking around for info I found I had to search through long threads. I would end up with lots of pages with comments on headphones I was interested in, saved in a folder. I even asked questions in other threads and then reprimanded myself for not having asked here, haha. Anyway this thread comes high in the google search for this topic. Therefor I am glad when folk directed here, are kind enough to post for everyone.

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #86 of 176
I have an early RS2e (red drivers, 1/8" termination, but not noted as an 'e'), and the 500e. I do prefer the 500e, as I feel it has a more balanced sound. The 2e is a great headphone, female vocals / acoustic are amazing. And they are very light.

However, I tend to prefer the 500e, as mentioned above. On busier tracks, it seems a little less congested, better separation of instruments. This is voiced for audio engineers, so they can better pick out the instruments. Seems a bit of a cleaner sound, which I prefer.

Treble is very nice and smooth, extended, etc. Bass is great. Not at all too strong in my opinion, goes deeper than I thought it would as well. But these do come at a weight, which is not a favorite part. They work well with both L and G cushions. I have both, tend to listen to the L cush the most, but I'm sure I'll go back to the G cush as the weather cools. Gs aren't that warm, but my office is a little on the warm side during the warmer months. Both are great. Don't be put off by the treble spike, it seems many headphones have a very similar spike around that point, though some are a little larger than others.

The difference between these two phones is not as obvious as one would think. Subtle differences, definitely more alike that different. The 2e is a great headphone, though the 500e is just a bit more to my liking.

It sounds like the GH-1 is an awesome headphone, and I saw one for the same price as the 500e on headphone.com (open box, check the sale items). This could be the ticket for you, very highly regarded by forum members. Best of luck.

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #87 of 176
@one1speed Many thanks for sharing your views.

I read that the 500e bass is a little less heavy and slightly tighter than the 500. Plus the overall sound has been refined by the e-enhancements. It's interesting to read you say the 500e sounds more balanced than the RS2e. Some consider the RS2e more balanced than the previous PS500 which makes sense given what I have read about both. It looks like they have improved the 500 model with the e-version. I had hoped so because the What Hi-Fi review of the PS500 said it 'could do with a touch refinement'. http://www.whathifi.com/grado/ps500/review Whereas the e-enhancements have refined the Grado range which kept the same size drivers.

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #88 of 176
quick quesiton about the grado like the SR80e . Can you use these for outdoor use like in the car is the isolation bad?

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #89 of 176
I would recommend strongly against driving in headphones. They don't have any noise isolation though; none, nothing. It depends if you want that in a car as a passenger. The beauty is being able to hold a conversation while wearing them, as if the music was just coming from speakers.

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #90 of 176
  I would recommend strongly against driving in headphones. They don't have any noise isolation though; none, nothing. It depends if you want that in a car as a passenger. The beauty is being able to hold a conversation while wearing them, as if the music was just coming from speakers.

i mean as a passenger. i wanted something for $100 for outdoor use like listening them in the car or when on the bus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back