Grado SR225 Thread
Jun 8, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #826 of 831
Haven't punched any holes on my SR225e since with the added dynamat in the cups, sorbothane on the back of the driver magnet and the use of generic G-pads it has more than enough bass for me. The only Grado that I punched holes is a old SR60, made 3 holes and used dynamat around each hole to keep the bass tight. I think there might be some pictures in my Gallery showing the SR60 with all the mods
Awesome thanks! I remember punching holes in my sr80i I had, first few holes improved it, I went overboard and it ruined the headphone, the mids sounded sucked out. I'll stick to dynamat and sorbothane(have both on order) and I'll see how that turns out. Thanks again

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #827 of 831
Hey guys, I have the opportunity to buy a pair por 100€, worth? I see that Grado allows to mod their models on a very different levels so for it can be very funny to play with. Suggestions? In any case I was looking for an open pair for home and nothing very expensive but in any case I would like to:

- Mod to detachable cable
- Upgrade pads to a better ones

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #828 of 831
Hey guys, I have the opportunity to buy a pair por 100€, worth? I see that Grado allows to mod their models on a very different levels so for it can be very funny to play with. Suggestions? In any case I was looking for an open pair for home and nothing very expensive but in any case I would like to:

- Mod to detachable cable
- Upgrade pads to a better ones
If its SR225e then its a pretty good price and worth it IMO. For older SR225 and SR225i its a bit on the higher side since IIRC I was able to get a SR225i for around $80 of E____ a few years back, put the drivers in Rholuplat wood cups and a few other mods and they were quite good to me but ended up selling them due to having too many headphones at the time.

I'm all for detachable cables, SMC jacks is my preferred jack for Grado builds due to small size and better than MMCX in the long run. As for pads I usually go with generic G-pads but since QC on cheap ones is hit or miss I just order a pair from 2-4 different vendors and pick the one that I like best since they are usually $5-6 a pair while OEM G-pads are $45 but very consistent in QC.

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #829 of 831
I'm wondering what were the best mods you've all done to improve this headphone? I find the highs screechy and not very refined

If the highs are too much for you, you might try them without the amp. Grado's are very easy to drive, and your amp might be accentuating the highs too much, and possibly distorting them. Also, I don't know what your source files are, but Grado's with an amp can make streaming music sound low quality. I use 320 kbbs mp3 pretty much only.

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #830 of 831
If the highs are too much for you, you might try them without the amp. Grado's are very easy to drive, and your amp might be accentuating the highs too much, and possibly distorting them. Also, I don't know what your source files are, but Grado's with an amp can make streaming music sound low quality. I use 320 kbbs mp3 pretty much only.
Thank you for your response. I've become a lot more used to the sound, I find the sr225e's remarkably musical and somewhat lifelike sounding. The highs have become more mellowed and I find I actually enjoy the grit in the treble, although somewhat artificial it adds a texture to the sound I like. I do find the highs still a tad screechy and I'm guessing the mods using the damping material will fix that. I found the comfort unbearable so I got some G-cush knock off pads off of ebay, the ones that come with the extra additional foam in the middle to dampen the highs a bit as the sound changes a bit with those pads but I love how they sound with the middle foam. Now they're super comfy.

I find I absolutely adore the Grado sound, may end up getting the hemp headphone although I see a lot of comments online that people always seem to come back to the sr225e's even after trying other higher end grados due to value and that they do a lot of things right for sure

I do run them off a schiit heresy, haven't tried them without an amp yet, will try

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #831 of 831
Double post sorry

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back