Grado SR125 (old version) or SR80i?
Jul 31, 2011 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fusedpro

100+ Head-Fier
Take note that one is the old, non-i version (the SR125) while the other is the updated version, although a step down on the product line. Assuming that I can get either for around the same price (perhaps the SR125 is slightly cheaper), which would you all recommend?

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 5
Why? Sr80i since that extra inch make a HUGE change. 

Jul 31, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 5
The SR-125 comes with bowl pads.

/thread.

No seriously the "i" cup doesn't make any discernable difference to me... 

The SR-125 does use a 1/4" plug, so you'll have to use Grado's nifty little adapter at all times, but for the most part the SR-125 is going to be better than the SR-80i. I own an SR-125 that I practically gave away and the differences are there, if I had to do it again, I wouldn't bother and just go for the 225's from day 1. The NEW SR-125 does come with the 8-connector cable so thats kind of neat, but for the most part I think the bowl pads are going to be better than the new SR-80i alone without accounting for the sound difference. When it comes to sonic differences the treble is more clear once you get up there, it feels more airy if you have a good source, you'll get better bass and resolution from the bowl pads just because when worn properly, the driver sits further from the ear giving the music a little breathing room.

I've said this before, but the MS-1 is probably better for the money than the SR125 when buying new Grados, then after that it's SR-225 time! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back