Grado SR-325is Color?
Nov 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

kkennally

New Head-Fier
I just got a new pair of Grado SR-325is from Audio Advisor and it seems that they have changed the metal on the phones to chrome? I thought they were supposed to be brushed aluminum? I think the chrome looks a little cheap compared to the brushed aluminum (Anyone else have chrome?). Also can anyone recommend a good headphone amp. I don't want a DAC just an amp to connect to my CD player. Right now I have a HIFIMAN EF2 and it seem to distort the sound of the Grado's. When I connect my Sennheiser HD280's they don't seem to distort, I can turn the volume up around 3/4 without distorting but I cannot get the Grado's past 1.5 before they begin to distort. 
Thanks

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 37
The Matrix M-Stage sounds very good with the 325is @ I personally haven't had any problems with distortion out of this combination.
wink.gif

edit: forgot to mention...yep, brushed aluminum.  No hint of chrome here.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 37
Can't say that I have a chrome sr325is.  Mine's brushed aluminum.  Can't help you out with the amp as I'm using the FiiO E7 DAC, but interested in picking up the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 + A1 combo. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 37
Don't know anything about the EF2.  I have three headphone amps, Peachtree Nova, a homemade class A transistor and a Headroom Total Airhead.  I've had no problems and all of them play my 325is loud and clear.  Maybe you should ask hifiman.  BTW, it looks like I have brushed aluminum.  Hard to see when I have them on.  :^  )

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 37
Strange thing is that when I run the HIFIMAN EF2 via the USB port on my computer (as a DAC) I can run the Grado's loud without distorting. My CD player is a Cambridge Audio 640C V2. I am thinking of getting a Rega Apollo to replace it.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 37
Grados are an easy load.  Strange.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 37

Quote:
Don't know anything about the EF2.  I have three headphone amps, Peachtree Nova, a homemade class A transistor and a Headroom Total Airhead.  I've had no problems and all of them play my 325is loud and clear.  Maybe you should ask hifiman.  BTW, it looks like I have brushed aluminum.  Hard to see when I have them on.  :^  )

Nice rig.  I did the same to mine, only with the dark brown headband.  Will post pics later. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #8 of 37
I had brand new SR325i's a few months ago.  Brushed Al.  Maybe the chrome is new?  Any chance you could post a picture?  I'd be curious to see the new finish.

Grado's don't need an amp.  Your CD player doesn't have a headphone output?  With that said, maybe your 325's need a little burn in?  (But I haven't really felt Grado's benefit from burn in other than the HF2 so far in my experience.)  Also possible that the EF2 and 325 just aren't a synergistic combo.

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 37
What do you guys think of the Benchmark Dac-1 with headphone for the 325is? The salesman at Audio Advisor was trying to talk me into the Marantz SA-8004 SACD player with headphone jack. Are you guy's familiar with the Marantz? 

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 37
Just got an e-mail back from Grado....

[size=x-small]Hi K[/size][size=x-small]evin
 you have the most recent 325is that we make.

Thanks for choosing grado.[/size]

[size=x-small]Happy Listening[/size]
[size=x-small]Grado Labs[/size]
[size=x-small]4614 7th Ave[/size]
[size=x-small]Brooklyn NY 11220[/size]
[size=x-small]718-435-5340[/size]

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 37
Dang. I really liked the look of the gold colored ones. The silver colored ones were not too bad either, but these... I don't really like it. I wonder why they changed it again.

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 37

Quote:
What do you guys think of the Benchmark Dac-1 with headphone for the 325is? The salesman at Audio Advisor was trying to talk me into the Marantz SA-8004 SACD player with headphone jack. Are you guy's familiar with the Marantz? 

I found the Benchmark uninspired but only tried it with the big rig, not cans.  Do you need a dac as well?  Not familiar with the Marantz.  

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 37
I am just looking to better my sound for around $1000.00. I just bought the SR325is and am now thinking that my source may need improvement. Like I said the salesman at Audio Advisor was really pushing the Marantz SA-8004 as being better than most options for my 325's. I have not seen any reviews on the Marantz to sway me in any direction. I do find my Cambridge Audio 640C to be lacking musically. It is a very accurate player but way too clinical with no personality. I have read rave reviews about the Rega Apollo and was thinking of buying the Rega and then a decent amp. If the Marantz was really good then that would be a great all in one solution.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 37
The worst I've ever heard anybody say about the Apollo is that the Saturn is better. It's one of those rare pieces of gear that most people seem to like. The Apollo is a very musical player.

If you think the 640C is too clinical, you might hate the Benchmark.

Note that Rega is rumored to have a Saturn level DAC coming out this Christmas for around $1000.

[Edit: typo.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back