Grado Sr-225 with Sr-325 Cups.
Aug 21, 2010 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jagerj

New Head-Fier
Hey all, 

Just received a set of older black sr325 canisters courtesy of  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/506108/grado-modification#post_6840008

Anybody else put 325 or custom aluminum  cups on the back of there 225s?

What did you think?

First Impressions are good. Increased bass impact, larger sound stage.....looking forwards to listening for a couple weeks and getting a sense of any differences between this and stock.

Thanks again to Vonrip. Didn't even let me pay the postage.

Aug 21, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 14
This is the redemption of the 325 that was needed.  Now that Grado's best cans - the PS1000 (not to mention the exotic PS1/HP1000) - come with aluminum outer shells, there's no longer any reason to bash the 325.

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
Hey all, 

Just received a set of older black sr325 canisters courtesy of  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/506108/grado-modification#post_6840008

Anybody else put 325 or custom aluminum  cups on the back of there 225s?

What did you think?

First Impressions are good. Increased bass impact, larger sound stage.....looking forwards to listening for a couple weeks and getting a sense of any differences between this and stock.

Thanks again to Vonrip. Didn't even let me pay the postage.

It would be interesting if you can compare your modded 225 to a pair of 325.
The original black 325 is one of my favourite Grados.

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 14
Post pics, I can imagine that they look sexy.

Aug 22, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 14
Here you go...

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 14
I think I'm gonna keep them for a while. :-D.
The first pic is actually not my pair but just an old photo I found on headfi.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 14
So I have been listening to these phones for the last few weeks;

First I should tell you what I have done. Originally, I took just took the canisters off my 225s and switched on the ones given; bass was definitely upped a bit, and sound stage seemed larger. The sharpness of my sr-225 had not really changed, but I suddenly seemed to notice sibilance where there was none before...I spent a week listening to them, kinda hoping it would go away, (as sad as it is, I like the feel of the aluminum cups, feels higher quality than the cheap plastic on most sr models and I'm a sucker for aesthetics ) Than I took them off.

When I had them off I took a close look at the cups.  The inside of the aluminum chambers were completely filled by a plastic ring which held the back screen in place! So the cups where about twice the length of my previous plastic sr-225 canisters, but still plastic!

So I took out the rings. I thought this would be of help, increasing the size of the chamber, and leaving it with a harder resonance material than the plastic rings....but it was no good at all. Suddenly the bass was boomy and sloppy, and the treble was tight and piercing - It sounded like I was at the end of a long drain pipe with somebody playing on the other side.

So I looked for some dampener. 

I had some blue tack from a previous simple mod I had done on my drivers; Placing a small pea size blob on the back of my sr225 drivers had tamed some of the bright well increasing bass extension. So I took a stick of the blue tack and rolled it on the inside of the chamber, in place of where the plastic had been. 

Now it sounded as if I was underwater. Bass still boomy and sloppy, but now the mids where almost gone, all high frequencies muted to an unbearable boor. 

Figuring I had just gone from one extreme to another, I took the blue tack out, rolled it with a rolling pin, and cut strips using about 1/3 as much blue tack a before, placing them back in the cup around the outer perimeter. I also removed the buttons from the middle of the screen. From research done on head-fi it seemed to make a negligible difference for most, but I figured any little bit could help.

Now I love them.

The bass seems to go farther with greater impact. Sound stage is much larger than my stock sr-225s both wider and farther. The highs, the reason I bought Grado in the first place, are smoother than ever, with out loosing any of the excitement that I loved about my sr-225s as stock, and all traces of sibilance is gone. 

I than ordered an upgraded leather headband from jmoney audio. I have a feeling the aluminum cups are here to stay, and needed a more comfortable way to keep this new weight on my head ;P

Once again, thanks to Vonrip. 

Feels like I have a brand new pair of headphones, and the best part is that if I did want to listen the way it was before, all it takes is about 30 seconds to switch the original canisters back on, and everything is right back to how they where brand new.

Sep 10, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 14
Buttonless? Oh, my..she's a beauty

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 14
I took the ring out.  It affected the sound.  Grado only put it in to give stability to the screen.  He didn't want to have to weld it in and perhaps he didn't have faith that there was an adhesive available that would provide the screen a durability and reliability necessary to avoid recalls and/or remedial fix-ups after people pushed it in.

Too bad.  It affects the sound.  I'm not kidding.  I'm not exaggerating.  I don't know how but the can sounded dramatically better after I removed the ring.  And the sky didn't fall nor did the screen come out without a fair amount of nudging.

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 14
Great mods! Great pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back