Grado SR-225 | Pads - Flat, vwap, bowl, comfy | A mini comparison
Sep 23, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #31 of 103
Do you mind if I upload those to my server and link them to the review?

thanks for taking the trouble. XVid isnt free is it?
tongue.gif

LOL

Sep 23, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #32 of 103
Sure, go ahead and upload them.

XviD is free (see www.xvid.org) but due to patents you can't legally distribute compiled/binary copies of it without royalties to the patent holders of the codec (though of course it's readibly available for free on the internet if you know where to look (hint: google for "xvid binary" and ignore the first result). Like I said these files play just fine with DivX 5 (which is free and legal) or any other MPEG-4 codec (like ffdshow for Windows) so there's no need to hunt it down just to play these files back.

Sep 24, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #35 of 103
Nice "over the top" review, Guru. For those of us who know you, we would expect nothing less! I'll have to download those videos one day soon, and check out the squishy tests.
cool.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #36 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Nice "over the top" review, Guru. For those of us who know you, we would expect nothing less!
cool.gif

LOL well said Wayne. I've spent a lot of time with Guru lately and nothing surprises me anymore.
icon10.gif

Great review man. Of course you said the 225's are "worthless" to you and have now gotten rid of them in favor of Alessandro MS-2's, so the review will have to be updated once they arrive.

Sep 24, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #37 of 103
I should have posted here
On a great source, and a great amp
the bowls really do not seem nearly as harsh/bright as people imaging

I have the RS-2's, but recently
I bought them to my bud's store who stocks alot of good equipment:
Rotel, Moon, Musical Fidelity, NAD
interconnects etc...

I tried the following from grado: SR80, SR225, SR325, Mine and the RS-1

i'll put this conflict to an end:
The grado's are a very effecient headphone and is very revelaing of source/equipment (though usually sounds quite good even with a generic pcdp )
anyways
I was a flat pad user for the longest time, when i just had my RS-2's with a TA and a generic sony cdplayer and crap ass interconnects

when using bowls, I did have the symptoms of well, a bit bright, puchy bass, and could even be grainy or sibilent

I liked my flats, better: warmer, smooth, still detailed, and bassy (i was more of a bass head)

after upgrading source to nad 540, getting air 3 ic's, a audio alchemy HPA-1 and a moon power supply
I found, the benefits of the bowl, were significant to the new equipment
more detail, more control, no grain, far better staging, and layering
Better resolution and dynamics, even more impact (as the bass is punchier)

then went to the store w/ flats and my rs'2 and of course all stock bowls on the other grado's
Used the MF TRI-Vista SACD and a Tri-vista 21 DAC, w/ Tara Air 1's and Kimber Silver Streaks
Used a RA-1, my HPA-1 and Xcan 3
and wow
yup, definately bowls are far superior as compared with the flats
And w/ the right Ic's and amp: the mf source, my HPA-1 and the Air 1's
it felt like the sound I liked of the Flats, warmer, smooth, yet remained bowl like with the punchyness and controlled bass, detailed, fast midrange and incrediable detail and resolution and this was throughout the entire Grado range
Not that the flats didn't sound better with the equipment, but honestly the sound from the Bowls were so amazing and far superior it literially was "better"

I was also at the store listening to quite a few other things, as I am in the market of speakers, again listening to some Monitor Audio GR 20's, Kef signature's, Vienna Betoveen, Martin Logan Prodigy through some pretty spectacular amps such as a MF Kilowatt
and quite honestly, the headphones that used the bowls, with the equipment I was listening to, was much more natural to the caliber of speakers I was listening to
not as wide, but did have the stage simular, but most noticably the detail yet again, as top range reference speakers have immaculate resolution and detailed, perhaps even more "british" than anything like the KEF or Monitor Audio

SO
my conclusion is this
The bowls are a superior pad
but
to encompass the resolution and "ability" the bowls can offer
you need fabulous equipment for it to sound to it's potential
My NAD 542/Air 3's/HPA-1 and power supply just sound medieocre compared to what I was listening to

So to convince a guy like John, who probably has the be all end all of source/amp/cables/power supply
He probably based his decision on what makes his headphones sound like "truely the worlds best headphones"

Sep 24, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #38 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s
I should have posted here
On a great source, and a great amp
the bowls really do not seem nearly as harsh/bright as people imaging

I've listened to the RS1 through various high-end sources including a Shanling T200, Linn something (3000€), Accuphase something (5000€), etc. through a RA1 and still preferred the vwaps over the bowls. It's true that they're less bright and harsh but with the performance of the RS1 with bowls increasing, the Rs1 with vwaps advanced into higher regions as well, still surpassing the bowls imo. The RA1 might not be the best amp but I don't think that something like a Melos would have made such a remarkable difference to justify the use of bowls. Well, I didn't spend a lot of time with the sources, 5min with each at most but the bowls just didn't do it for me. Just my opinion.

Sep 25, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #42 of 103
That's a really fine review, Guru, and I think that it's especially valuable for new Grado users. After trying all of these pads, I've settled on the Bowls. My main reason is that they provide a broader sound stage than any of the flats. But, as for my preference among the flats, I preferred those by vwap, because IMO they provide the best upper register sound among the flats.

Sep 25, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #43 of 103
Thank you mikeg - I have become a big fan of the bowl pads too! I have also recently picked up an alessandro MS-2 which, if it is anything like the SR-325, will go perfectly with the bowls. I remember how much I enjoyed the SR-325's...brilliant headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back