Comfort -3
Sound -2

Vwaps (modded Sennheiser 414):
Comfort -5
Sound -4

Flats:
Comfort -4
Sound -5

My personal favorite is the Flat Pads, but since they are the most expensive, they are best reserved for the SR225 and above; the Vwap pads are more affordable and sound almost as good (and are a bit more comfy due to their softer material), so they fit well with the SR125 and below.

SR60/80/125/MS1: Vwaps
SR225/325/RS-2/RS-1/PS-1 Pro: Flats
MS2/MS-Pro: Bowls (I just enjoyed the bowls more with the higher-end Alessandros)
SR100/200/300/HP-1000: Flats ONLY!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #17 of 103
No mention of upsidedown bowls? Though I haven't heard vwap pads, I would think they're pretty comparable to them... When I'm not using flats on my HP-2's, I'm using turned over bowls with nice sound results.

Sep 23, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #18 of 103
Very nice grado pads shootout indeed, I'm sure many will find this useful.
Personally, I've tried bowls, reversed bowls (ouch), comfies, vwaps and reversed vwaps (not normal vwaps turned upside down but actually designed this way). I yet have to try flats but so far the normal vwaps are the best, followed by the reversed vwaps which adds a bit more of soundstage but takes away some bass, adds sibiliance and with less intimacy and immediacy.

Sep 23, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #20 of 103
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Great! Cool! Thanks. GSFerrari is the first Head-Fier using video in the review, this should be a standard for reviews.

Sep 23, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #22 of 103
My my my...this started out as a mini-comparison and ended up as a monster bandwidth killer
eek.gif

LOL
eggosmile.gif

Fortunately I have reliable hosting...I will use videos in future reviews as well...much more "interactive" than plain images (which were often omitted in reviews...guess that will have to change too).

Thats it folks - I cannot invest any more time into this review. I hope it helps make choosing pads easier. Secretly however - I hope it helps empty your wallets faster
very_evil_smiley.gif

Enjoy and I will appreciate it if you save the videos the first time instead of coming back to view them repeatedly. This will save me bandwidth and make the downloads faster for those who really need it.

SOMEONE - Please do me a favour and tell me approximately how long it takes to download the First two videos and then the BOWL-SQUISHY test video.

Thank you
cool.gif

Sep 23, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #23 of 103
Great job, Guru! Outstanding photos, and the videos rock.

Even though I'm not a Grado owner, it's useful for when I ever do get a chance at a pair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
SOMEONE - Please do me a favour and tell me approximately how long it takes to download the First two videos and then the BOWL-SQUISHY test video.

Thank you
cool.gif

Took about 2 min 25 sec to download Video 1 (18.6MB). Not too bad, and now I have it - will go back for the others.

Sep 23, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #24 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
No mention of upsidedown bowls? Though I haven't heard vwap pads, I would think they're pretty comparable to them... When I'm not using flats on my HP-2's, I'm using turned over bowls with nice sound results.

I am not a big fan of the grados (sr-225), but I have to agree the upside-down bowls are a good pad configuration. The reversed pads pretty much hit the midpoint between bowls and vwaps, and I liked them the best overall. With vwaps the bass gets too loose & sloppy, and regular bowls were way too bright with rolled off bass (but very punchy). The only problem is that reversed bowls aren't as comfy as the very, very soft vwaps.

Sep 23, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #27 of 103
I LOVE the videos, gsferrari; they add a charming effect!
tongue.gif
This review makes me feel sad about giving up on Grados.

Sep 23, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #28 of 103
I downloaded all videos very quickly, at 1.5mb/s took around 6 seconds for each video. I'm on the university's "resnet". The pad review is awesome, for I'm hoping to get a pair of MS-2 during december. I'll keep this review in mind when the time comes.

Sep 23, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #29 of 103
Thanks for all the comments guys. 2 minutes is pretty much what I am experiencing too...I hope thats ok with you folks...not too bad for 15-20MB but it could be faster - i'll give my server dudes a call
cool.gif

[size=small]
No comments on the Squishy test?
eggosmile.gif

[/size]

Sep 23, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #30 of 103
I've recompressed the video files with XVID 1.0.0 (playable with XVID, DivX 5, or any other MPEG-4 CODEC). They're hosted on my home cable modem which is capped at ~15 kilobytes per second upstream so don't expect a speedy download if you have broadband (max connections is limited to 5 as well).

Movie 1 (2.5 megs)
Movie 2 (1.25 megs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back