Grado SR-225 | Pads - Flat, vwap, bowl, comfy | A mini comparison
Sep 26, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #62 of 103
do you think the material used in the pads change the sound or is it the distance they are from the ear? The bowls do sound brighter then the flats but i wonder if its the distance from the ear or the style of foam dampens the sound or somthing?

What are those yellow pads? where did they come from? You have 2 different color of the vwap pads.

Sep 27, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #63 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
What are those yellow pads? where did they come from? You have 2 different color of the vwap pads.

Vwaps start out as innocent yellow Senn replacement pads. The yellows are the raw material...the black versions are the same slitted and dyed.

Sep 27, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #64 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
do you think the material used in the pads change the sound or is it the distance they are from the ear? The bowls do sound brighter then the flats but i wonder if its the distance from the ear or the style of foam dampens the sound or somthing?

I think distance plays the major role here. The materials appear to be similar, if not the same. (I have both pads as well)

Sep 27, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #65 of 103
My take :-

Factors affecting pad performance :-

* Distance of driver from ear
* Porosity of the pads (permeability to certain frequencies)
* Reflectivity

The vwap pads are the most porous and they are also the least reflective therefore I suppose they are as close to tonal "neutrality" as possible (ideal would be without a pad which also sounds good by the way - but is uber painful
tongue.gif
)

The bowl pads place the ears really far from the driver - lowers bass. They are made with hard reflective material and are less porous therefore secondary/tertiary reflections can take place inside between the driver and the ear.

Todd Flats place drivers close to the ear. Unlike vwap pads the todd flats have hard reflective material and therefore the scope for internal reflections is more.

I am not an acoustic engineer - is anybody an acoustinc engineer here?
confused.gif

Sep 27, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #66 of 103
One thing i notice with the bowls is the shape is like a cone, i have seen older speakers from car stereos that use a cone shape that sticks up from the center of the speaker that gives the speaker a brighter sound. I wonder if this cone shape in the pad gives a bright sound?

Sep 27, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #69 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s
can we still buy pads from vwap?
I haven't been able to find a thread

The vwap pads ARE the HD414 replacement earpads, you can get them direct from the sennheiserusa.com site for about $7 shipped. I believe they were named after him because he originally thought of using the HD414 pads on the grados.

edit: just noticed you are in canada, sennheiser.ca site then I guess.

Sep 27, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #71 of 103
Quote:

i thought he carved them out, and dyed them
cause I can't stand the ugly yellow

Yes. The VWap pads are also cut to have a hole in the middle like the original flats did and dyed black to match the color of their. Their also suppost to be slightly more comfortable than the Todd Flats because the VWaps/Senns use a softer foam.

Sep 27, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #73 of 103
Quote:

so where can I buy em?

I'm pretty sure VWap doesn't make them anymore so either used here on Head-Fi or make them yourself are your only options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back