Grado RS2i
Sep 12, 2009 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sinofsins

New Head-Fier
Will this headphone be overkill when paired with an ipod? The types of music that I listen to are mostly indie rock, Depeche Mode, Portishead, Radiohead etc and a bit of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Muse. A mixture of rock, metal and some electronic. Will this headphone be suitable?

Sep 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 16
They will work fine and should sound very nice. Keep in mind that they are open headphones so sound gets in/out very easily. Not optimal for portable use. The should look better on your head than the RS1's because they are a bit thinner, but you will look like an alien. See if you can try them out for yourself.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 16
They'll run off an iPod, but yes, they're overkill. But they do suit that choice in music, as I've got the RS2. And I wouldn't consider the RS2 as portable.

While they don't need an amp, phones like these deserve a decent source at the very least - I don't believe you'll hear what they're capable of from an iPod, though some will no doubt nit pick on this comment. Simple fact is, $500 phone won't be best served by a $2 (if it's even that much) DAC in the iPod.

If you intend adding better gear in the future to match them, then go for it. Otherwise I'd plump for a lower end Grado.

Sep 12, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 16
I find that the RS2i sounds surprisingly good straight from my iPod classic. I cannot say the same for my SR325is!!

Be that as it may, I also consider it overkill since they can sound better when paired with a good amp. If you don't plan to use an amp with the RS2i, I'd go for a lower end Grado, a Denon AH-D1001K or something similar.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 16
It's not only about noise generation where simply looking at impedance will address, it's also about dynamics, punch, depth of presentation etc. For that you'll need good current, both in quantity and speed of delivery. An iPod isn't up to that.

The SR325is has the same impedance as the RS2i, but it really sounds bad on an iPod, i.e., flat, compressed and with metallic thin highs. OTOH, with a very well powered headphone amp, it comes to life and changes quite drastically.

The RS2i does sound better than an SR325is through an iPod, but again, it will do quite a lot better amped. It's interesting to spend US$500 on a pair of cans that sound a lot better amp'd. But to each his own.

For my iPod only, I quickly go the IEM route.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for the reply guys. I do have the intention of getting a headphone amp as well for home use perhaps since paaj mentioned this headphone is not suitable for portability.

What headphones do you guys recommend for best portable use? I'm open to suggestions for headphones that are good when paired with or without headphone amp.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 16
RS2 are very fine cans, but i think that a set of SR80 or SR125 suites well with the ipod. I use the RS80 on my iaudio Cowon D2 and the Sansa Fuze and Clip
sometimes alone but most of the time with the corda headsix.

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 16
rs1 i sounds really bad with sansa fuze if i compare with little dot mki+ (consider that mki+ isn't the best amp).
Maybe you can get enough volume to listen. But rs series really need good amp and source to show potential.
I prefer sr125 for mp3 players.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 16
it'll go well with ipod, but it's better to use a good amp/dac for better sound. i don't think using an $1000 amp/dac sounds much better than ipod but it's worth experimenting and we all hear differently. try bypassing the ipod's dac using special docks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back