Grado RS2 Redesign?
Sep 1, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #196 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't quite get what you are implying by the
rolleyes.gif
here. Grado doesn't do their own woodwork. Quite honestly we don't really know what Grado does besides final assembly, the driver construction and place of origin has always been an incredibly closely guarded secret.

rolleyes.gif
= a combination of any of the following: discontent, frustration, doubt, dissatisfaction, etc

I couldn't care less whether Grado did their woodwork in house or not, but the final assembly and QC must've been done at Grado so the fact that obvious cosmetic flaws (eg off-centered lettering, rough/splintered edges, excessive hot glue) could've made it through QC is anything but encouraging. I realise that the majority of Grados look and function perfectly (including the pairs I've had the pleasure of owning and listening to), but it's hardly the first time anyone's received a flawed pair. There have been all too many previous "flare ups" and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. I may seem like a Grado-hater, but am actually quite the opposite. I love their sound, love their looks, but just can't stand it when I see pairs which appear to be hastily put together. I beg Grado to re-evaluate their QC processes and bring to the table better made headphones. I promise this will be the very last time I rant about Grado QC issues.

Sep 1, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #197 of 353
Something tells me that the prices for used (mint-older style) RS1/RS2 will go up....This new lettering looks horrible
frown.gif
Not something you'd expect to find on a 700$ reference headphone (not to mention that where i live they cost over 1000 euros...)

Sep 1, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #198 of 353
You would have to be either mad or "money-doesn't-matter" to buy a pair of brand new Grados in the UK/EU. There's one dealer in Edinburgh who sells the Grado range and the RS-1 goes for iirc £650. (or was it £700?
tongue.gif
)

Sep 1, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #199 of 353
Wow, just wow. I am beside myself here...

There is only one word I can come up with for the RS-1 and RS-2 re-design: Yuck!

My best advice for those fortunate enough to own a pair of the older design RS-1s or RS-2s, hang on to them for dear life. I am pretty confident that they will one day fetch a nice premium if you ever decide to sell them. I can say with certainty that If I ever buy another pair of RS-1s or RS-2s, it will most definitely be a pair that has the "classic" design. Never will I buy a pair of these re-designed models - that is truly how much I am displeased with the re-design. I wonder if the GS-1000s will be getting the "Fuglyphone" makeover as well? What a sad day for me. *raises a beer in memory of the classic Grado design* R.I.P.

It will be interesting to see how well these 'new' RS-1s and RS-2s will hold their value in the FS forum when compared to the classic design.

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #201 of 353
I've been weighing this week if I should jump on the RS-1's before it's too late to find an older model. I finally decided to jump on it. . .

. . . and noticed a lot of the older style on Audiogon are gone. Ouch.

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #202 of 353
I don't think the redesign looks bad at all, I like the cleaner look without the button. But the off-centered lettering sure s_cks, as well as the new font. Although I guess i'm close to being a Grado fanboy I think the QC is beyond all apologies...

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #203 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the redesign looks bad at all, I like the cleaner look without the button. But the off-centered lettering sure s_cks, as well as the new font. Although I guess i'm close to being a Grado fanboy I think the QC is beyond all apologies...

I personally like the no-button look as well - I've never liked the buttons in the first place. It's the rest of the re-design that I don't like.

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #204 of 353
ditto re Salt Peanuts comments

Sep 1, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #206 of 353
Another quick question regarding these new versions - are the insides of the cups finished or unfinished?

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #209 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by seefeel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any sound differences noticed between the old and new RS-1s?

Only the sound of my tears plopping against the cheaply "handmade" driver housing when I finally see a pair of the new design in person.
frown.gif

hell, why not just make them plastic and slap some wood colored paint on them, that'd save the Labs hella money.

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #210 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only the sound of my tears plopping against the cheaply "handmade" driver housing when I finally see a pair of the new design in person.
frown.gif

hell, why not just make them plastic and slap some wood colored paint on them, that'd save the Labs hella money.

Maybe I'm just being daft but are there any other changes than the removal of the button (better) and the font (worse)? Cause I can't understand all the tears and rage these changes induce in people
confused.gif

What's far worse is the glitches in QC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back