Grado RS2 Redesign?
Aug 31, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #181 of 353
And then there are others of us who were lucky enough to get perfect examples of the breed and are perfectly happy.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #182 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps they didn't want to sacrifice too many expensive housings while perfecting the operation. I agree though, the customer shouldn't have to put up with a sub-standard end product.

A block of maple or mahogony the size needed for the cups is $3, tops.

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #183 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A block of maple or mahogony the size needed for the cups is $3, tops.

True; but to machine the blanks enough to fit properly in the tooling used to do the engraving may raise the cost of the test pieces to near production costs. And for a near-cottage industry like Grado that could be an unsatisfactory expense.

...no easy answer I'm afraid.

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #184 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True; but to machine the blanks enough to fit properly in the tooling used to do the engraving may raise the cost of the test pieces to near production costs. And for a near-cottage industry like Grado that could be an unsatisfactory expense.

...no easy answer I'm afraid.

I just find it hard to believe that Grado didn't intend for the final product to be what we have. It's not like they are doing this themselves, the wood earcups are done by a third party who I would assume specialize in woodworking. By grado's own numbers they order 8-10K of these a year, it's not a small run.

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #185 of 353
Has anyone ascertained a) whether these are the new standard RS designs and b) why they've been changed? Are there any internal differences or is only the cosmetics that are involved?

best,

o

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #186 of 353
Quote:

I just find it hard to believe that Grado didn't intend for the final product to be what we have. It's not like they are doing this themselves, the wood earcups are done by a third party who I would assume specialize in woodworking. By grado's own numbers they order 8-10K of these a year, it's not a small run.

Good point well taken.

hmmmm.....
blink.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #187 of 353
Hello all, I orderd some RS2s yesterday and had them overnighted to me. I knew nothing about this when i ordered them. Anyways just opened the box and they are for sure the new ones. The number on mine is 5001, got them from headroom. All the letters on these seem to be correct. I will try to post a pic later. Has anyone heard from Grado yet?

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #188 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by allstar94 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all, I orderd some RS2s yesterday and had them overnighted to me. I knew nothing about this when i ordered them. Anyways just opened the box and they are for sure the new ones. The number on mine is 5001, got them from headroom. All the letters on these seem to be correct. I will try to post a pic later. Has anyone heard from Grado yet?

Grado tends to be very tight lipped about these things. What I really find interesting though is assuming these are sequential Headroom has sold only one RS-2 since the op, yours!
eek.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #189 of 353
Haha, good read.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sep 1, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #190 of 353
What's the serial# on these?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghiberti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3.jpg

k, they did the same thing to RS-1
icon10.gif
:

However, I'm sooo glad that I got mine a few weeks ago and with the "classic" buttons.
But imho it's really strange that there's no official statement. I mean, they didn't change something small, but made a whole redesign. It would be nice for a customer to get informed about this, I think.

Now the only question is: Does the new RS-1/2 sound different?

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #191 of 353
Quote:

Quite honestly we don't really know what Grado does besides final assembly, the driver construction and place of origin has always been an incredibly closely guarded secret.

The drivers are made in house by Grado.

I still say this is a cheapening up of the RS series ....
frown.gif

I mean look at the old MS-Pro and compare it to the new RS-1/2. I can't believe they did it to the RS-1 to!

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #192 of 353
The more I look at it the more i like it. I think it's more the darker wood then the lack of button though.

If they cleaned up the lettering issues I might be sold.

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #193 of 353
Just want to chime in and say that changing the design of the RS-2, thereby differentiating it from the RS-1, doesn't ruffle my feathers at all. But I don't like them messing with the RS-1. Grado Labs has effectively destroyed a modern classic in order to save a few bucks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a romantic audiophile who things that all audio manufacturers should remain poor in the name of audio fidelity, but why would John mess with the RS-1? Totally inexcusable.
frown.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #194 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to chime in and say that changing the design of the RS-2, thereby differentiating it from the RS-1, doesn't ruffle my feathers at all. But I don't like them messing with the RS-1. Grado Labs has effectively destroyed a modern classic in order to save a few bucks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a romantic audiophile who things that all audio manufacturers should remain poor in the name of audio fidelity, but why would John mess with the RS-1? Totally inexcusable.
frown.gif

The few bucks they may be trying to save....may be OURS! How much more would we be willing to spend in this day of the devalued US Dollar to keep the RS-1 and RS-2 at the same old level?

....what's gonna happen to the MS-Pro?
frown.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #195 of 353
That's a current "worry" for me - what may be happening or what may have already happened to the MS Pro. I have a nice pair of RS-2, and have been thinking about getting my first pair of Pro's ...........what if I sell these and go to buy MS Pro, only to find they also been changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back