GRADO RA-1 amp, what the heck is this all about?
Dec 16, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #136 of 158
The real fleecing of Americans happens when they pay for bottled water.

I mean the stuff is free. In Mexico yeah I see it's purpose but here it is nothing but a waste. Starbucks brand bottled water. Ridiculous. Most of this stuff comes from a tap. $1 for a $.01 bottle. You are paying for convenience, status, and the 'experience' of spending money.

Same with RA-1. Convenience, status, 'experience' of spending BUT you get an amp as well (some say a very good one for grados) but with the bottled water (which sells for twice he price of our 'ridiculously overpriced' gasoline despite being available for free w/o a bottle) all you get is a lousy bottle that you end up throwing away.

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #137 of 158
So, call me ignorant, a complete nincompoop, duly fleeced, novice audophile, dead ears, or whatever is most appropriate...but here I am reading this and listening with my RWA iModed 4th gen 60gb iPod photo (AIFF) --> Silver Dragon mini to RCA --> Grado RA1 --> re-cabled (Drew Moon Blue Dragon) KSC75s to classical music and what's this I hear: great extension across the frequency spectrum, good decay of the cymbals, good clarity of presentation (nothing fuzzy here or any clipping in loud passages)???? (Try listening to Britten's Young Person's Guide to The Orchestra as a reference. Lots of dynamic and frequancy workout there!.) Oh say it's not true!!........I had to try the Grado again given all the buzz. Yes, that's what I actually hear, for all the faults in my listening abilities.

Does replacing the Grado with Xin's SM IV change anything? Yes, at the margins, but with some improvement in soundstage and instrument separation (yes, even with KSC75s!!), but not to a truley remarkable extent.

Sorry to say this to all you nay-sayers, you convinceth me not that the Grado RA1 is a bad product. Argue price all you want....I know the wax ticks you off....but don't tell me what I do and do not enjoy.

Time for some balance in this strident world! Did I miss something in the argument? Or, is we are all about is sound?

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #138 of 158
Sordel;2559436 said:
Part of the problem here is the extent to which we're looking at one product in isolation. Go to any ordinary person, tell them what you paid for your headphone rig(s) and watch the look of bemusement on their face when you tell them that it was great value for money. ,

Probably the same look I get when someone tells what they spent to put a set of 'mag'wheels on their car..or the looks I used to get when I told friends what I'd spent on a 1/43rd scale kitset F1 car.
Cant think of any hobby where value for money enters the equation. Not what some innocent souls here would want to believe though.

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #139 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, call me ignorant, a complete nincompoop, duly fleeced, novice audophile, dead ears, or whatever is most appropriate...but here I am reading this and listening with my RWA iModed 4th gen 60gb iPod photo (AIFF) --> Silver Dragon mini to RCA --> Grado RA1 --> re-cabled (Drew Moon Blue Dragon) KSC75s to classical music and what's this I hear: great extension across the frequency spectrum, good decay of the cymbals, good clarity of presentation (nothing fuzzy here or any clipping in loud passages)???? (Try listening to Britten's Young Person's Guide to The Orchestra as a reference. Lots of dynamic and frequancy workout there!.) Oh say it's not true!!........I had to try the Grado again given all the buzz. Yes, that's what I actually hear, for all the faults in my listening abilities.

Does replacing the Grado with Xin's SM IV change anything? Yes, at the margins, but with some improvement in soundstage and instrument separation (yes, even with KSC75s!!), but not to a truley remarkable extent.

Sorry to say this to all you nay-sayers, you convinceth me not that the Grado RA1 is a bad product. Argue price all you want....I know the wax ticks you off....but don't tell me what I do and do not enjoy.

Time for some balance in this strident world! Did I miss something in the argument? Or, is we are all about is sound?

How dare you bring sound into the equation - Yes. I'd say the end result is what you pay for, not what it takes to get to that end result. The end result is what has kept the RA-1 and that stinking RS-1 in my inventory
rs1smile.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #142 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice little portable rig. Interconnects are a bit stiff, though.

port.jpg

One of my favourite pics of all time. I used that as a background image a while back.

Dec 17, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #143 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thing is it sounds like crap.... was / is this block of wood a case of the Emperor's new clothes? I can't remember the last time when I came out full monty and said "this sounds like crap"....... most of the amps that I've listened to have sounded good to astonishing.... this effort is just awful and, without doubt, the poorest amp I have ever listened to. Not even worth another sentence it's that dire..................

I totally agree with that. Regardless of whether you are looking at the US retail price (which has already been characterized as "overpriced" on head-fi several times in the past) or the European retail price (which I find simply impertinent).

I had one of those. It broke after a short while. Mind you, I did not do anything to the bleedin' thing. The only thing that happened was that the installed battery ran out. After replacing the battery it turned out that the amp was broken. I was happy I could return it for a full refund. Never looked back.

Dec 18, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #144 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Type, moonwalk in the nude, take backhanders from Grado.... I don't give a toss sunshine
icon10.gif
but please don't try to convince me the RA-1 is value for money.

Since this would seem to be PF's last post, it's obvious his being banned was the result of something said on this thread -- something which has since been deleted.

Which is a pity: while Michael has been cantankerous in the past, he's made a sincere effort to change, and it's sad seeing the latch turn against any steadfast member just before Xmas, particularly one who has just been through a crisis. I never presume that everyone has somewhere to go; New York has shown me how often people try not to burden us with their loneliness.

Oh hell, oh well. Sorry to disrupt your vital discussion re RA's sealed innards. Tonsils and adenoids away; I'll try Mike at home.

Dec 18, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #145 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since this would seem to be PF's last post, it's obvious his being banned was the result of something said on this thread -- something which has since been deleted.

Goodness, this is too bad, as you say. As much as I have a difference with PF about the RA1, although his point about value for money is well taken, I am sad to hear a felllow debater is being banned. Maybe we can find out what was the egregious thing or things he said so we can all avoid making the same error and know well the standard of inappropriate language for this forum.

Dec 18, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #146 of 158
it might have been the reference to being backhanded by Grado, but as speculation on bans is banned, i will speculate no more. Pinkie's a good guy at heart.

Dec 18, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #147 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it might have been the reference to being backhanded by Grado.

And why is that so terrible? Worse than being forehanded??? Punishment fits the crime? Maybe the mods can enlighten the head-fi community at large?

Jahn, you are a gracious man indeed. I'm sure PF will appreciate that.

Dec 18, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #150 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised he thought it sounded so bad, because cmoys aren't that bad, and this is better than a cmoy (albeit not by much)

I am sorry to belabour this, but let me see if get this right: a less-than-flattering comparison of an RA1 and a cmoy gets one banned from head-fi?

Nah. Cant be right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back