GRADO RA-1 amp, what the heck is this all about?
Dec 8, 2006 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 158

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
One of these guys here at the moment to get a new on / off switch fitted so I thought it would be a great opportunity to have a look under the bonnet of this much talked about amp.

Well, getting into it was a bit of a bugger as GRADO fitted tamper proof hex screws with little "nipples" protruding out of them so you can't unscrew the bloody things unless you've got the right tool and I, for one, have never come across such a tool. I resorted to dremeling the nipples down and then unscrewing them with a hex bit once the nipples were out of the way. (have now fitted standard philips screws in their place)

Tight security indeed and even tighter under the bonnet....... the bloomin amp section is totally potted! What the hell......... GRADO obviously don't want people finding out what's inside this amp, either that or there must be some be some acoustic benefit in totally drowning what seems to be an inch wide PCB in potting compound.

Has anybody ever gone so far as to de pot and find out exactly what's under all the gunk? I was honestly expecting to find something a bit more, how do you say, "interesting" under the hood and was quite taken aback when the guts were revealed (or were not revealed as the case may be) very prosaic and very mysterious to say the least........

Yikes...... this was a shock:

DSCF6693.jpg

DSCF6699.jpg

Dec 8, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 158
The RA-1 is not much more than a Cmoy. Schematics for the RA-1 can easily be found with Google, there really isn't much to it.
It's an amp and that's all it is -- a couple opamps and resistors. It does the trick with Grado's but it's far from optimal.

Dec 8, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does the trick with Grado's but it's far from optimal.

It's bloody awful IMO. Barely "does the trick" with Senns or Grado's sounding glassy, shrill and compressed to my ears and that switch on / off CRACKO!! is not something you'd expect in any amp let alone one costing £450 GBP. I shouldn't be commenting on it, as it's not mine, but I just have to.... these guys cannot be serious selling this opamp encased in a wooden slab for £450 GBP. I haven't heard an amp this poor in years, most disappointing indeed.

Dec 9, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here http://www.ecp.cc/ra1.html
It sounds good so meh

That's just coining it in with a pretty lump of wood as a front
plainface.gif
No wonder it took me an hour to get into the bugger (and I didn't scratch a thing BTW, got rid of those "nipples" at 16,000 RPM under a magnifyer)

Thing is it sounds like crap.... was / is this block of wood a case of the Emperor's new clothes? I can't remember the last time when I came out full monty and said "this sounds like crap"....... most of the amps that I've listened to have sounded good to astonishing.... this effort is just awful and, without doubt, the poorest amp I have ever listened to. Not even worth another sentence it's that dire..................

Dec 9, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 158
lol

The secret has been out for a while. It came as a shock to me as well! The whole package probably didn't cost more than $30 in materials. I guess the woodworking cost a few pennies and all together, you have a $50 amp. The UK retail price is blasphemous and completely ridiculous...

Dec 9, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol

The secret has been out for a while. It came as a shock to me as well! The whole package probably didn't cost more than $30 in materials. I guess the woodworking cost a few pennies and all together, you have a $50 amp. The UK retail price is blasphemous and completely ridiculous...

It's not the "cost" it's the fact they tried to pull a fast one that gets me. I'll never again take this company seriously.

Pinkie.

Dec 9, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 158
This sort of thing is pretty common with many of the popular amps though. Should not surprise anyone who knows even a tiny bit about circuits. Grado at least used some pricy capacitors. Do a basic BOM, estimate labor and price it out. Unless its made by the hands of God, prices for certain amp are ridiculous and people eat it up. Marketing 101.

Dec 9, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATTEFLON /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sort of thing is pretty common with many of the popular amps though.

Remind me to stay well clear of popular amps
confused.gif

Quote:

Should not surprise anyone who knows even a tiny bit about circuits.

At £450 GBP it didn't "surprise" me it sent me into a state of catatonic shock.

Quote:

Grado at least used some pricy capacitors.

I can't see them looking through the muddy potting compound pool....

Quote:

Do a basic BOM, estimate labor and price it out.

10% for the wood........ 0.99% for the parts........ 89.01% on BS?

Dec 9, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 158
I think some amps do deserve their price considering the beautiful work. Some amplifiers have terrible fit and finish and look like it was slapped together in some guys basement. Not going to say names but that was my impression upon both listening and visual inspection. My 2c.

Dec 9, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #13 of 158
Quote:

I think some amps do deserve their price considering the beautiful work. Some amplifiers have terrible fit and finish and look like it was slapped together in some guys basement. Not going to say names but that was my impression upon both listening and visual inspection. My 2c.

Why not name names of the others, which have ridiculous pricing and bad case work, while defending the nice case work of RA1 and its capacitors?

Dec 9, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 158
Quote:

Some amplifiers have terrible fit and finish and look like it was slapped together in some guys basement.

I totally agree with you.

DSCF6693.jpg

GRADO RA-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back