Grado RA-1 amp is a piece of crap!
Oct 1, 2001 at 2:17 AM Post #91 of 106
Yet one more reply: I think it might be helpful to tell everybody that I got the amp for 250, which is a far cry from the 350 retail.

At this price, it's easy to see where the money is going. After all, it must take several hours of SKILLED labor to make the amp. Not to mention fees that were paid to attorneys getting them patents, etc. Finally, don't forget the big hunk of mahogany ( and the addition of a warranty, both of which must also up the price noticably.

As a side note, Aithtron, I find your anti-market place rhetoric very disappointing. To hate a man's possession of his own soul-his faculty for productivity, creation and ultimately subsistence-is the worst thing that I could ever imagine. My sincere wish is that you reconsider your opinions on the matter.

john

Oct 1, 2001 at 3:33 AM Post #93 of 106
aeber, presumably certain parts of the design (if only the external design) are patented. It's possible to patent a particular circuitry, isn't it?

Your question actually makes me wonder...anybody who knows the answer to this, please post.

John

Oct 1, 2001 at 4:25 AM Post #94 of 106
to clarify things, to my knowledge there are no patents for the ra-1, and there cannot be. the circuit can be found in every electronics textbook. i don't know how long it would take to carve that beautiful hunk of mahogany, but it would take a few minutes to solder togethor the circuitry (and it really doesn't take much skill to solder it togethor).

Oct 1, 2001 at 4:35 PM Post #96 of 106
Quote:

This is just a really silly case of having your dad sneaking a peak at a restaurants chili recipe, and than claiming he can make homestyle chili that tastes the same or better

Yup. And he wouldn't even have to taste it.

Oct 1, 2001 at 5:34 PM Post #97 of 106
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle

Yup. And he wouldn't even have to taste it.

Actually, since the design is pretty much public domain and Grado decided to use it, it's more like a case of the restaurant sneaking a peak at your Dad's recipe and serving it in an expensive bowl for $30
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2001 at 1:48 PM Post #101 of 106
Quote:

Actually, since the design is pretty much public domain and Grado decided to use it, it's more like a case of the restaurant sneaking a peak at your Dad's recipe and serving it in an expensive bowl for $30

Not exactly. They substituted fresh vegetables in place of frozen.

Oct 4, 2001 at 3:39 PM Post #103 of 106
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
You're all just being mean now - just let Beagle believe it is a magic amp.

(Wonder if it would sound better with a piece of amber sitting on top?)

Amber only works with metal cased equipment. The mahogany interfers with the transfer functions of the ambers quantum electron/photon dynamic tunnelling effect.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 4, 2001 at 3:54 PM Post #104 of 106
A quick search revealed a number of patents to a Joseph Grado of Brooklyn, NY

The two most recent patents were from the late 1970's and related to electromagnetic pickup cartridges for use with phonographs.

I didn't review all of their patents (according to their website, they hold 48 patents), but apparently they are directed toward phonograph technology and not headphones or amplifier electronics.

The US patent database is a great way to learn about your favorite products.
Here is a link:
http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

Oct 4, 2001 at 4:53 PM Post #105 of 106
Quote:

You're all just being mean now - just let Beagle believe it is a magic amp

The sound is magical...that's all that matters
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back