Grado PS-500 vs RS1i impressions
Jun 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #16 of 29
The PS-500 are definately heavier the RS1i,wich are probably some of the lightest on the market

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #18 of 29
Have an opportunity to get some PS500 at a good price, anyone here able to comment on how they sound compared to the GS1000i?

I already have the GS1000i and wondering whether these would complement it, or whether there is a fair degree of similarity?

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:
Have an opportunity to get some PS500 at a good price, anyone here able to comment on how they sound compared to the GS1000i?

I already have the GS1000i and wondering whether these would complement it, or whether there is a fair degree of similarity?

I haven't heard the GS1000s so really cant help....but I can't wait to hear your impressions if you pull the trigger! haha

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #20 of 29
In my opinion,the GS1000i sounds much more like the PS1000 than the PS500,wich have a very special sound signature,so in a way,yes,the GS1000i would complement the PS500,altough as i've said before,you can get both the RS1i and the PS500,for not much more than the price of the GS1000i,this gets you two pairs of high end headphones,who have very distinct sound signature,so in a way,you got all bases covered,food for tought,i guess.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
Heh, heh, heh... ya gotta have one of each!

It's probably going to end up that way!

Missed out on a very cheap brand new in box PS500 the other day, gutted. Looks like I'm good to go on these RS1s though, so soon get to pit them head to head with the GS1000i.

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #24 of 29
Just about 50 hours of breakin, does any one notice when you turn the volume above comfortable levels the bass distorts. It may be my jds c421 op2227 amp causing this as its adding even more warmth, I'm wondering if the more analytical objective 2 will work well with these ps500s

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:
Heh, heh, heh... ya gotta have one of each!

That sure was the case for me - I love 'em both and wouldn't part with either!
Quote:
Love how the RS-1s look...can't believe how light they are! 

Indeed, at first I was afraid they would be too fragile to handle very much - not the case at all.
Quote:
Just about 50 hours of breakin, does any one notice when you turn the volume above comfortable levels the bass distorts. It may be my jds c421 op2227 amp causing this as its adding even more warmth, I'm wondering if the more analytical objective 2 will work well with these ps500s

I'm not surprised they might distort if you're talking very very high "blow your head off" volume, but I have not noticed that even at what I think is way too high levels. I've been comparing my RS1i and PS500 at fairly high volume with different tubes lately and not noticed any bass distortion with either headphone.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #26 of 29
I just received my ps500 as my first grado headfon. My first impression when paired this can with my graham slee srg ii...this can has a very wonderfull highs. I never heard such a "crystal like" instrument sound like this before. The mids is a bit coloured and forward (not too) but is fine for me. Comparing to my t5p...my t5p has a better layering and soundstaging to the music. Also more natural in every aspect. T5p is able to give me "in the room" feeling when listening to my lossless/wav files. Ps500 is a bit narrower when comes to soundstaging compared to t5p. Music separation is also good on ps500. What impressed me most is the way grado ps500 delivers the musical intrument to my ears. Especially with accoustic. Or even listening to jazz songs. Is very addicting really. Very crystal clear. The ps500 has bigger bass impact than t5p. Is accurate. But t5p is more accurate to my ears. They both very good. But listening to song with a lot of drum in it...i prefer ps500..is more pleasant to listen. All iam saying...from mids to highs..this grado is really give me exceptional sounds. Is very crystal smooth and execellent clarity that i have never had experienced before. And to be honest....at this moment everytime i turn on my amps...i start to grap my grado ps500..not my t5p :D

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:
I just received my ps500 as my first grado headfon. My first impression when paired this can with my graham slee srg ii...this can has a very wonderfull highs. I never heard such a "crystal like" instrument sound like this before. The mids is a bit coloured and forward (not too) but is fine for me. Comparing to my t5p...my t5p has a better layering and soundstaging to the music. Also more natural in every aspect. T5p is able to give me "in the room" feeling when listening to my lossless/wav files. Ps500 is a bit narrower when comes to soundstaging compared to t5p. Music separation is also good on ps500. What impressed me most is the way grado ps500 delivers the musical intrument to my ears. Especially with accoustic. Or even listening to jazz songs. Is very addicting really. Very crystal clear. The ps500 has bigger bass impact than t5p. Is accurate. But t5p is more accurate to my ears. They both very good. But listening to song with a lot of drum in it...i prefer ps500..is more pleasant to listen. All iam saying...from mids to highs..this grado is really give me exceptional sounds. Is very crystal smooth and execellent clarity that i have never had experienced before. And to be honest....at this moment everytime i turn on my amps...i start to grap my grado ps500..not my t5p
biggrin.gif

I'm glad to see you're enjoying your PS500s, they're one of my favorite Grados.

Happy listening. 

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #29 of 29
Actually both very comfortable on my ears. But of course t5p is heavier. The t5p is fullsize round ears and the soft leather pad is fit pretty nice on my head. However for long listening in hot room...my ears is sweating. The ps500 has a foam pad and is just sitting "on my ears". Actually i am not a fan of this kind of pad. The foamy pad is made of some kind of 3 layers. 2 thin layers a bit stiff and thicker softer layer in between. But the headband is very, very soft. So i don't feel like this foamy pad is giving me the itchyness. Very comfortable actually. For long listening....i prefer the comfort of ps500. It is lighter..and does not give me a sweat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back