Grado PS-500 vs RS1i impressions
Mar 17, 2012 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

stacker45

Headphoneus Supremus
It's been two weeks since i got my PS-500,and so far i'm impressed, i had the chance to comprare them with the RS1i for a few days,and i'm glad i did,because i was initially set on getting the RS1i and never thought for a moment about the PS-500.But after reading so many favorable reviews i decided to ask my dealer to lend me a pair.

The first thing i noticed was the bass that the PS-500 is deeper than the RS1i,as far as the mids go, i have to give the nod to the RS1i, but not by much,and some peoples might prefer the lower tone that the 500 gives to voices, but the highs on the 500 are sweeter, more polite so to speak, every detail is there, but they're less ''agressive'' for lack of a better word,than the RS1i.

Some headphones like my GS-1000 bombard you with every last detail, and i feel this prevents me sometimes from getting ''pulled'' into the music. But the PS-500 have a tubelike sound that to me, is just addicting, i have never gotten ''into'' the music the way i do with the PS-500.I don't know if some of you have experienced that, but it's like i'm in a ''trans'' and when the music stops, i feel like i'm coming back from a far away place,it's a very good feeling. i can just imagine how they'll sound, if they get better with time, the 500 are definately a keeper.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 29
Thanks for your impressions. But, can I ask you to go further into depth? I am trying to figure out which headphone to get next out of the gs1000, rs1, or ps500. Which headphone is punchier? Which has a harder hitting bass or impact? Does one hurt your ears in the top end? How do lower quality mp3s sound on them? Are any forgiving of bad recordings? I listen to mostly punk rock and hardcore screaming music. Which would add the most bass to these light bass recordings? Which would make the bass and snare drum have the most impact?

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:
Thanks for your impressions. But, can I ask you to go further into depth? I am trying to figure out which headphone to get next out of the gs1000, rs1, or ps500. Which headphone is punchier? Which has a harder hitting bass or impact? Does one hurt your ears in the top end? How do lower quality mp3s sound on them? Are any forgiving of bad recordings? I listen to mostly punk rock and hardcore screaming music. Which would add the most bass to these light bass recordings? Which would make the bass and snare drum have the most impact?

That's a difficult question you have here.

Modern Grado juggles with three different house sound : the SR and RS series, the HF2 / PS500 league, and the bigger GS1000i and PS1000. Up until very recently people still considered the RS1 the best offering from Grado, but more and more people are accepting changes in their sound and quite a lot of people are enjoying the PS500. I really don't know what to say about the GS1000i and PS1000. Hopefully pcf will step on your post, you can ask him too, he owns these headphones.

SR and RS have traditionally been associated for being good with punk and rock music, mainly because electrical guitar is emphasized and you can hear it very well.

For the most bass drum kick impact, well for bass alone HF2 and PS500 are supposedly more bassy?

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 29
I just heard the PS500's yesterday... and... I think I prefer them to my RS-1's and other phones I have, or have had.  Though, I haven't heard the latest RS-1i's, or PS1000's.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/602369/denon-d5000-or-grado-ps-500

And... yes... IMO the PS500's have greater bass and lower mids than my RS-1's, or the GS1000's I had.  

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 29

Quote:

The PS-500 are definately more forgiving than the RS1i,i couldn't tell you how they sound with MP3 tough because i never listen to MP3 trough my headphones,for me it's,CD's SACD's,vinyls and reel to reel tapes,.

As i said the 500's bass is deeper,that might give the illusion that the RS1i's midbass is a bit stronger,but i prefer the warmth that the 500's bring to the music,the soudstage is also bigger on the 500,an audio journalist said ''the PS-500 have a tube sound like caracter'',and i think it describes them very well,as for you're question about snare drum impact,the RS1i might have the edge on that one,but then again,they can be a bit harsh with bright recordings.

But do youreself a favor and listen to both headphones,i would go for the 500 in a minute,but you might find the RS1i to be more you're cup of thea,either way you can't go wrong,they're both great headphones.

Hope this helps 

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 29
graphCompare.php

A different kind of impression.
smile.gif

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 29
It looks like the graph agrees with me

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
Nice graph, what you get in bass is what you loose in treble. You pick which one you prefer. I'm glad I got the RS1 :D

Good point. I don't typically use graphs to inform purchases, but as a new owner of the PS500 who has never heard the RS1i, that's informative. From my experience with SR60s, I know I'd be happy with either model, but this makes the tradeoffs a bit more clear.

Glad you're enjoying your Grados! 

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
Good point. I don't typically use graphs to inform purchases, but as a new owner of the PS500 who has never heard the RS1i, that's informative. From my experience with SR60s, I know I'd be happy with either model, but this makes the tradeoffs a bit more clear.

Glad you're enjoying your Grados! 

It may not be as simple, actually, but on graph that's how I find it to look like!

Both curves are almost the same, except skewed by about 10 degrees from their center.

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 29
I believe that a sound system with a rolled off treble,will probably sound better with the RS1i,and of course,if it has a bright treble,then the PS-500 would help to tame it down,it's all a question of synergy.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 29
thanks for your review which helped settle my decision to go for PS500. But I still have a question regarding if i need to get an amplifier for my new headphones. After purchasing PS500, I don't have much money left for a quality amplifier. However, I am afraid that I couldn't make full use of my new headphones without an amplifier. I don't know if an amplifier is really necessary considering that I just listen to music on my portable CD player. If you think that I should get an amplifier in my case, any suggestion on which model i should consider? Thanks.

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 29
Agree... the PS500's have a much more dominant bass and mid-bass, than the RS1's.  You'll love the PS500's... IF... you really like a big, warm, bold, bassy sound.  While they have great mids, and detailed clear highs, with a big soundstage... the RS1's may have a bit more separation and clarity... and... they have a bit more treble emphasis, and seem to have a bit more separation of instruments, etc.  

The PS500's bass bleeds into the mids a bit... which... may make them too bassy for some.  Those that like a bassy sound, will prefer the PS500's, those that like a more refined, detailed sound may prefer the RS1's.  I like both... not sure which I prefer.

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 29
As someone who occasionnally listen to my PS-1000 straight from the headphone output of a Vintage Yamaha integrated amp,i'll tell you that Grado heaphones can sound very good out of almost anything,that beeing said,they can sound even better out of a dedicated amp,in the case of the PS-500 i think you'd be well served by a brighter sounding amp,i would therefore stay away from tube amps.

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #15 of 29
I was advised that the 500 is noticably heavier than the RS1i due to the metal grille, do you found this to be true ?

Weight is important for me, as I have some medical issue which preclude me from using heavy phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back