Grado PS-1...Wow!
Sep 1, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #91 of 105
Reading through this thread and remembering back to when the PS-1 was first available I think part of the reason it didn't do so well initially is no one really knew anything about and no one, not even Grado was talking about. Even though they finally did become available through TTVJ there still was no real information on how they sounded, the price was rather inflated due to them having to be reimported, etc. Anyone buying them was doing so on a pure leap of faith that the "might" be better than the current line-up when there was no real evidence to support it.

I recently heard NotoriousBIG_PJ's pair of recabled PS-1's through his custom and CDP. On hand was also a vintage brown leather headband RS-1. Even though it was a brief audition and I had to re-acclimate myself to full-sized open headphones, I can safely say the PS-1's are well ahead of the RS-1's in balance, resolution, transparency and overall smoothness. The only thing I noted that sounded off to me on the PS-1 was a bit of a dip in the lower mids, in this the RS-1's had a somewhat fuller midrange but in all other areas, transparency, resolution, balance, smoothness, etc the PS-1's outclassed the RS-1's. I suspect that with a simple pad or tube swap I could fine tune the sound to my preference. Regardless, of the minor midrange quibble the PS-1's in this system were the nicest phone I've had the pleasure of listening to. Unfortunately I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one.

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #92 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Barking up the wrong tree..?.

biggrin.gif
. That was funny..
Quote:

:p Most likely depends on the thinness of wood and the size of the cavity to better allow it to resonate.

IMO the housing plays the same role to a headphone driver that a tonearm does for a phono cartridge.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #93 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there really enough moving/vibrating parts in headphones to notice a difference in various woods?

I've had a few headphones made by larry with different woods, and although they look beautiful the differences between them are really not noticeable.

I'm actually quite surprised that there isn't a difference. Is this opinion unanimous to all who owned and A-B'ed Headphile modded phones? I can't speak for Larry's creations since I've yet to see one in the flesh, much less heard and compared 2 or 3 pairs in different woods (having the enclosure material as the only varying factor, the rest constant), so I've to take everyone else's word for it for now.

But the facts remain that the headphone's chamber/enclosure design is one of the principal elements that influence the soundwaves emitted by the driver, as well as different materials with varying density have diverse resonant frequencies (however minute it may be). And combination of which creates a distinct acoustic resonance of its own.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #94 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hardly think we can go around stating this with certainty, considering there really aren't "people" that own both an L3000 and L3000G. It's more like "persons". There are literally only two persons I know of on this forum that own both and that's Nomad and cwilson. To my knowledge, out of those two, Nomad is the only one that has ever made a comment implying that there is the possibility that the two sound different. Then in another thread, months after he made the first statement, he recanted and stated that he wasn't positive about his first assumption.

The reason I recall this pretty vividly is because I just picked up an L3000 last week and spent the two weeks prior to that researching about every single thread in the archive pertaining to them. I would most definitely be interested, who wouldn't, in hearing the two side by side one day; however, I have extreme doubts that the dye used in producing the green leather can have any perceivable effect on the sonics.
wink.gif

I'd love to hear more from Nomad on the issue if he would care to elaborate.

Apologies for deviating from the current topic of the thread, regarding the commission of a new headphone. It's just that I couldn't read this thread until now and I'd like to address subtle's questions to me.

The L3000G was my first "spare" high-end can, owning the L3000 already. At that time I was expecting for both of them to sound exactly the same. They didn't (even after burn-in process), being the L3000G tighter bass the easiest treat to spot. That's why I originally thought it could be a similar but different headphone.

Since then, I started to own some other "spares" cans and I realized that while more "industrial manufacturing" takes on headphones (HD650, K501, etc) tend to sound very similar if not identical, most of the spares in the "high end" doesn't sound exactly the same. Now if this is because of the involvement of a more artisanal process, or smaller runs that doesn't allow to get the consistent results on much bigger runs, or because these phones are so detailed that it is easier to spot small differences due tolerances on the fabrication process... that I don't know.

So yes, my L3000G sounds somehow different to my L3000, enough to spot them in a blind test, but so do my two PS-1s, for example. Because of that I can't confirm that the L3000G and the L3000 are different headphones anymore. It could be just a result of tolerances during the fabrication process.

On a thread cwilson swears on his L3000G, saying that he much prefer them to the L3000 and the R10, suggesting that it is a different headphone. I can understand where he is coming from but I'm not sure I can share the same view on this. Perhaps is not entirely different nor exactly the same, and it is just a L3000 with a more carefully matched drivers ("a la" Grado HP1/2/3 way). I can't say for sure.

I could compare them again but the L3000G have been carefully stored in the original box with the original thin wrapped paper for around 3-4 years now and I'm a bit lazy to carefully unpacked/packed again just to check the sound because I know what I'm going to hear. They are similar but not entirely so. I had a thread somewhere elaborating on all the different sonic treats.

Subtle, I hope this helps. Apologies for the delay. I can't browse around as much as I would like. Cheers.

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #95 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wood be nice though....

You guys are too much...
beyersmile.png
popcorn.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #96 of 105
i'm really amazed by the PS1.

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #97 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could compare them again but the L3000G have been carefully stored in the original box with the original thin wrapped paper for around 3-4 years now......

If you 'E.V.E.R' decide to sell them, you know who to pm first
biggrin.gif

Edit: But then again, the 50th anniversary is not far around the corner

I may have a small headphone collection, but I give 'em the love they deserve
tongue.gif
(j/k)

Now back to topic:
To this day, the L3000 and PS-1 haunts me. I just can't get over them until I hear 'em.

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #98 of 105
Quote:

I could compare them again but the L3000G have been carefully stored in the original box with the original thin wrapped paper for around 3-4 years now and

To each their own but still I have to say that makes me sad.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #99 of 105
Akabeth, I don't think I'll ever be selling these (you never know, though). And although the 50th Anniv. is close I'm not sure if AT would release a can at L3000 level and just stay at W5000 level (no disrespect for the W5000, that some people prefer). It seems like AT really did struggle to get the L3000 sold on its day and that could make them think twice before going all the way again.

I hope I'm wrong, though. I would love to hear of something like the L5000, with a sound very similar to the L3000 but without being that "closed" at high volumes, by using advanced damping techniques.

elnero, no matter how my previous paragraph sounded, I'm not a collector "per se". I'm using a lot my headphones. I bought the L3000G as a spare of the L3000 (actually, I just wanted to buy another L3000 but at that time Koji could only find me a L3000G, that was more expensive, because all new L3000 were gone). For me the L3000 is a very special headphone and I like it so much that I wanted to have a spare one in order to keep enjoying its sound should something wrong happens to my L3000. It is true I could just buy an used L3000 if that ever happen but I'm extremely careful with my gear and I can't guarantee that an used L3000 (in the condition I expect, and with drivers checked by AT for the "rattle" issue they used to have) will appear in the market by then. That's why I got a spare one. The fact that is in the box doesn't mean I don't care about it and that for me it is just a collector item on a shelf. Far from it.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #100 of 105
There is absolutely nothing wrong with collecting headphones! Just like nothing wrong with collecting classic cars, fine watches, .... It will bring owner some special joy.

That being said, it is NOT right for Nomad to "collect" L3000G though. I firmly believe you should sell it to me to get rid of the guilt!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #101 of 105
Quote:

elnero, no matter how my previous paragraph sounded, I'm not a collector "per se". I'm using a lot my headphones. I bought the L3000G as a spare of the L3000 (actually, I just wanted to buy another L3000 but at that time Koji could only find me a L3000G, that was more expensive, because all new L3000 were gone). For me the L3000 is a very special headphone and I like it so much that I wanted to have a spare one in order to keep enjoying its sound should something wrong happens to my L3000. It is true I could just buy an used L3000 if that ever happen but I'm extremely careful with my gear and I can't guarantee that an used L3000 (in the condition I expect, and with drivers checked by AT for the "rattle" issue they used to have) will appear in the market by then. That's why I got a spare one. The fact that is in the box doesn't mean I don't care about it and that for me it is just a collector item on a shelf. Far from it.

I can understand that. Sorry I didn't mean to come across the wrong way, really I'm just jealous.
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #102 of 105
No worries at all. I could understand that, as it did look that way. Still, not quite true, as I said. If I was a collector I would be buying an Edition 9 or a GS1000, which I do not own, although I tried them. No disrespect for those cans but personally, I'd rather get a spare PS1 so I can make sure I will be enjoying its sound for many many years no matter what accident might happen with my main pair. I don't own RS1 either, and although I'm always very tempted because I like them quite a lot, in the end I have to stop as I can't keep buying everything and to be honest I prefer the PS1 most of the time.

ast, no L3000G for you!

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #103 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the only slight problem with this wonderful pipe dream, and perhaps Zanth can correct me if I'm mistaken, is that I recall reading in the past that the rights to the PS-1 are owned by whatever German firm commissioned them in the first place. I don't know for certain whether that is completely accurate, but I believe I've seen that mentioned. If the name had to be changed it wouldn't bother me at all. PS-2? HF-2? As long as you give me that wonderful driver in the same metal housing I'm game.

At $1800-2000 with a factory warranty I would also buy two immediately, right this second. Who do I write the check to?

I'd buy it even if it is named XYZ-1 or UVW-2 ... !!!
icon10.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #105 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dang! that's my fifth try and shamefully failed again!
frown.gif

I shouldn't but... LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back