Grado Prestige SR80i good for gaming?
Oct 17, 2010 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

christos03

New Head-Fier
My friend is selling me his headphones for 60 bucks, because he just bought some Grado 255i. Anyways I do listen to music and he told me they're great headphones for music. Anyways, I told him I game, he doesn't know anything about how good they will be for that. I seen the headphones online and they are 100 bucks, so he is giving me a great deal.  Could I use these for gaming. I have an HD TV it has a headphone jack port and I do use my sony headphones mdr-xd200 on the TV and the computer and they're pretty decent nothing amazing.  I mainly use this for privacy if i'm watching a movie late at night I don't disturb anyone sleep.  I know that the sr80i blow away my current headphones but I don't know how diverse they are.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 13
The Grados are known for a relatively small soundstage, so that would say they are not a very good headphone for gaming as positioning won't be as good as some of the larger soundstage headphones like the DT880 or AD700. This being said, I personally have not used them so take what I have said with a grain of salt and so a bit more research.

Oct 18, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 13
Sr80i's definitely aren't gaming headphones, and a lot of people find them uncomfortable.  You might have a pretty bad headache after a few hours of gaming.  I highly doubt you'll find much improvement over your older headphones or just using speakers, in terms of gaming/score. They should definitely make everything sound a bit better though.  Another thing is that Grado headphones have a really unique sound signature, which may make your movies or games sound a bit funny.  Why not ask your friend to let you try them out first?

Oct 18, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the reply could you tell me what are good headphones that dont have a mic attached that are good for gaming? 100 price range no more then that. My friend doesn't live in the same state
frown.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 13
I don't have any experience with the headphones but DT880 and AD700 are both highly regarded gaming headphones. When people refer to good gaming headphones they mean good sound stage and positioning. Another aspect is immersion/entertainment which is often times less position but may provide more emphasis on explosions.

So if you are looking for the first category AD700 is your choice. As always do more research before making a decision.

Daniel

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 13
I myself use the SR80s for gaming and on small maps in Crysis Wars I can pinpoint within a foot where enemies are by the smallest of noises(like the buzzing noise the invisability cloak makes), I was able to headshot the guy while he was cloaked befroe he could react to me, he accualy started hiding from me I got so many kills on him, but even then I still could get him. I have not used other headphones, so I can't compare them to others, and I also should mention that I was using Dolby headphone during the game.

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 13
i have used a set sr-60s for gaming for years. on a good day, they help me make people very angry.
very_evil_smiley.gif

one thing to watch is the cable, if it gets caught up, the split twisted, or bent to sharply you'll be having to send them to Brooklyn to be recabled.
triportsad.gif
i suggest fedex.
dt880smile.png

oh and don't leave them plugged in all the time.
redface.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 13
Ideally, Grados are supposed to be dedicated music headphones. You can game on them too, but just buy some other headphones if you are only going to use them for gaming. 

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Ideally, Grados are supposed to be dedicated music headphones. You can game on them too, but just buy some other headphones if you are only going to use them for gaming. 

Can't agree with this. Headphones well known for their music prowess make EXCELLENT gaming cans. Take the K701/K702 for instance. They are ridiculously awesome with gaming, though I do mean when paired with something that outputs Dolby Headphone (or Virtual Surround processor equivalent). Others that do well with gaming is the DT770, Creative Aurvana Live (aka rebadged Denon D1001 give or take a few things), DT880.

Oct 18, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Can't agree with this. Headphones well known for their music prowess make EXCELLENT gaming cans. Take the K701/K702 for instance. They are ridiculously awesome with gaming, though I do mean when paired with something that outputs Dolby Headphone (or Virtual Surround processor equivalent). Others that do well with gaming is the DT770, Creative Aurvana Live (aka rebadged Denon D1001 give or take a few things), DT880.

We are only talking about Grados for now. For example, Grados are fun and punchy, while AKG K701 can be described as neutral monitors. Grados don't have that much of a positioning soundstage, but if it's the only thing you've got, its fine. Grados are in no way, a gaming monitor, though. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 13
I've just bought some Grado SR80i 's and they are definitely not gaming headphones. 

CSS or any game where the position of the sound is critical won't be great with these cans. I've had a go with them and had to take them off a couple of times to check I had them on the right way!

Otherwise, they are brilliant for what I bought them for: listening to rock.

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 13

In short hell no. In long HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLNAW... seriously i didn't like them for games, everything just felt small time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back