Grado HP1000 "The legendary Grado"
Aug 26, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #16 of 62
I recently purchased a set of HP2, and they are phenomenal. The thing is, I do not have a powerful amp to drive them, and I know I have yet to release its full potential. The reason I am so confident about this is because I have heard a balanced pair on a fully decked out Dynalo, and they are the funnest headphones I have ever heard. The only other headphone that ever really left an impression on my like that is the Tralucent 1p2.

Back to what I have now, I drive them either straight out of the Cambridge DacMagic Plus Headphone jack, or use the DM+ out to a Meier QuickStep. The Quickstep setup is clearly better, better dynamics, better punch, better separation, just cleaner all the way through. I do not have a good amp with me right now, but it is just extremely difficult for me to get yet another amp to dedicate to a headphone. I already have 3 amps (two full sized and one portable, and to get another desktop/full sized amp is just way too costly.

I also just purchased the Grado HF2, thinking that if they are comparable, I would sell my HP1000 and save $1000. Well, I guess there is a reason they are so different in price. The HF2 are great, reminds me a lot of the PS500, but I felt with a little more clarity and a cleaner, but lighter low end. Compared to the HP1000s? Not close, just not close. The HP1000s have better extension and balance throughout, the pacing and dynamics are clearly better, soundstage are actually comparable. Note that I used the stock cush for both of them (flats for HP1000 and S-Cush for the HF2).

Now I am stuck with two headphones, both of them are fun in their own right, both of them a beautifully made. I will have to take out a second mortgage pretty soon the things are going ....

Yes they are amazing. Too bad the majority of people will never get the chance to hear the HP1000 version 1.
I say keep your pair. In the distant future it will be a rare item. Well not as the already HP1000 v1.
The best amps to use are Solid State Amps. The clean, neutral ones. Pretty much any SS amps.

The best amps I heard were the:

Eddie Current Sana Deux Super
http://www.eddiecurrent.com/ZD.html

And

Auralic Taurus MKII
https://www.tweekgeek.com/auralic-taurus-mk-ii-headphone-amplifier/

And the Grado HF2 is a nice warm Grado pair. It is consider the Baby PS1000. A cheaper version of that.

I consider the best Grado pairs to be in this order:

Grado HP1000 v1
Grado GS1000 v1

And than

Grado Ps1000 v1
Grado RS1 v1

Cheers

Aug 27, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #17 of 62
HP1000 with HPA-2 is a really Great pair!

The difference between HF2- and PS500 is that the PS have 4 holes on the driver so it increase the low end, other than that everything is the same!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #18 of 62
bought one hp-2. i had one in the past but balanced with another cable. i´m really excited about the retourn of legend.
i hope that my audio-gd drives well this headphone

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #19 of 62
Hi All HP1000 lovers,
What ear pads do you use with HP1000? My HP1 sounded best with "Flat" pads and that's only pad lead the true Grado sound from it, I believed. Some years ago, I found my last flat pads were turning into black greasy powder on HP1000. I removed them immediately before those black powder affect the sound units inside. Since then, I've been using "Bowl" or any 3rd party Grado like pads, and have never been satisfied. Last week, when my wife forced me to start cleaning our cellar, I found a small cardboard box which I had no idea. Opened it, and there were some plastic bags with spare headphone ear pads. Most of them were for Senn HD414, and HD580/600, but I found one pair of Grado Flat!! There was a receipt from TTVJ dated 2008. Although they were kept in a plastic bag at dark cellar, the degradation of the material has already started slightly. However the condition is still not too bad. I applied some rubber/plastic protection liquid and kept them in the bag. After one week, they have no greasy feeling at all and look like brand-new. You know guys, now these original Grado Flats are so rare in the earth and I'm such lucky guy. I know it will last after some years anyway, but at the moment I stop worrying about it and just try to enjoy listening original Grados. I have been working on my old Melos Maestro restoration. Soon the dream comes true, listening the best dynamic headphone sound of '90!

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #20 of 62
Hi All HP1000 lovers,
What ear pads do you use with HP1000? My HP1 sounded best with "Flat" pads and that's only pad lead the true Grado sound from it, I believed. Some years ago, I found my last flat pads were turning into black greasy powder on HP1000. I removed them immediately before those black powder affect the sound units inside. Since then, I've been using "Bowl" or any 3rd party Grado like pads, and have never been satisfied. Last week, when my wife forced me to start cleaning our cellar, I found a small cardboard box which I had no idea. Opened it, and there were some plastic bags with spare headphone ear pads. Most of them were for Senn HD414, and HD580/600, but I found one pair of Grado Flat!! There was a receipt from TTVJ dated 2008. Although they were kept in a plastic bag at dark cellar, the degradation of the material has already started slightly. However the condition is still not too bad. I applied some rubber/plastic protection liquid and kept them in the bag. After one week, they have no greasy feeling at all and look like brand-new. You know guys, now these original Grado Flats are so rare in the earth and I'm such lucky guy. I know it will last after some years anyway, but at the moment I stop worrying about it and just try to enjoy listening original Grados. I have been working on my old Melos Maestro restoration. Soon the dream comes true, listening the best dynamic headphone sound of '90!

Hey Buddy,

Here you go. You should stock up now !

https://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Flat_Pads_p/aat0000100.htm

Here is the suppose upgraded version. Stock up on these too !

https://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Deluxe_Flat_Pads_p/aat0000999.htm

Cheers

Mar 18, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #21 of 62
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #22 of 62
1AA3F6E8-CFFE-4357-8E2E-E7C344C8E793.jpeg
I have the HP1000 HP1 version, with ALL LETTERS INTACT! I also have the HPA-1 amp that Joseph Grado designed for it. Here the are, along with the other Grado headphone amp, the RA1.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #23 of 62

I have the HP1000 HP1 version, with ALL LETTERS INTACT! I also have the HPA-1 amp that Joseph Grado designed for it. Here the are, along with the other Grado headphone amp, the RA1.

Wow!
You got the complete set ! That is truly amazing ! Very impressive :thumbsup:

And jealous lol :blush:

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #24 of 62
I have a set of HP 1000's that my now senile and half deaf dad bought when they were new... supposedly they were upgraded by Grado at some point, with improved diaphragms or something. These are the original version with the phase switches.

I hardly ever use them, my 'other' phones are the industrial Sony MDR-7506 studio phones, and for most of my listening I prefer closed ear for the sound isolation. WHen I got the Grados, the ear muffs were totally disintegrating, so I ordered the original flat style muffs directly from Grado.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #25 of 62
I have a set of HP 1000's that my now senile and half deaf dad bought when they were new... supposedly they were upgraded by Grado at some point, with improved diaphragms or something. These are the original version with the phase switches.

I hardly ever use them, my 'other' phones are the industrial Sony MDR-7506 studio phones, and for most of my listening I prefer closed ear for the sound isolation. WHen I got the Grados, the ear muffs were totally disintegrating, so I ordered the original flat style muffs directly from Grado.

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm a big fan of the HP1000s for their unique look, the polarity switches and extended "antennas" really give it a Jetson-era UFO kind of vibe.

Bold A) Be curious to know what "upgrades" your unit went through at Grado's!

Bold B) Where did you get these flat pads? As far as I'm aware Grado has stopped making them and the closest approximation is the TTVJ replicas.

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #27 of 62
Grado told me that they sent all of their HP1000 pads to TTVJ to sell for them. I've bought several pairs from TTVJ.

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #28 of 62
Hello Audiophile enthusiasts,

Today we have the holy grail of the family group of Grado.

The legendary Grado HP 1000:
Release Date :
Price: $600
Driver: dome-shaped diaphragm
Materials: voice-coil, Plastic, damping, suspension, machined aluminum alloy, stainless-steel spring rod, genuine leather, thumbscrews, stainless-steel screen, 2 polarity switch, seven Allen screws, soft foam cushion, red paint and glue
Wire: gold-plated phone plug
Units: #1000

20131018_e7f0c8900c601583b6adGJOt5wZdRvDJ.jpg

Grado HP1000 Sound: Neutrality at its best. Neutrality king? Maybe. Very accurate and detail. Sounds very life like. Mind blowing with acoustic record. And surprisingly non-fatiguing. And "Yes" it is not treble killers like the HD800!

Grado HP1000 Design: The body is pure metal construction. The headband is pure leather. With 2% padding! The headphone itself is heavy. The pads are the same Grado hating uncomfortable pads. And the clamping force will crush your head! Unless you bend the legendary headphone.

b738afbb1c51e1c70203f189bae25d11.jpg

Both cups have the Polarity Switch, correct for errors in polarity setting for records.

20131018_400978fc062675971e79Z1mNLRnp5U17.jpg

03.jpg

These headphones are 'Professional Recording Monitor", they were design to analyse the soul of the song.

img_5196.jpg

hd28.jpg

The only Grado that had a mechanical Polarity Switch. The HP2 had the same design as the HP1 but without the switch and the HP3 was a downgraded version of the first two.

1f328b30f1aea143b58f5d897d628ef5.jpg

06.jpg

Look at that beautiful switch!! Just clicking it will take you back in time.

8aa92f8b305cf9c0301bad5339a3f96c.jpg

Here is Joseph Grado himself. He hand made the HP1000 himself.

-Feel free to express and discuss your experience with these headphones at the comment section.

(I do not own the pictures above. Only intent to use as for educational benefit)

Mar 10, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #29 of 62
87899B4B-3F77-4B67-92F7-4663EF573896.jpeg

32871AC5-BCCC-4FA5-B623-4DE9837E3E33.jpeg

2CF06300-03CA-421A-BC67-B882F90E709C.jpeg

This was Joes Living room where he had his digital “stack” setup for his testing of the Grado signature microphone.
Joe had his workshop in the basement where he tinkered and worked .. Was a brilliant fellow !
I came across a violin sitting in the corner of his workshop.. I asked if he played... , he said “not really... but i knew I could make a better sounding one than what’s out there”. He built several violins and was telling me about how he made it better.. He was also an accomplished Opera singer for the Met in NY.. and a pilot and a... the list goes on..

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #30 of 62
Hi all, I am afraid to ask this question, but I wanted to know if there are any step by step instructions to take apart an old HP2. My left channel is cutting out, and I am 100% sure it's the contacts between the cable and driver. I wanted to take them apart and re-solder them, which shouldn't be much of an issue, but the part I am worried about is taking them apart.

Does anyone know how to take these apart such that I can access the soldering points? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back