grado headphones
Jan 23, 2006 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

manhattanproj

500+ Head-Fier
i know this will stir up quite a bit of commotion...but i want to let it off my chest anyway...so please stay calm.

many people in the forum like...hmm...more like love grado headphones. i'm sure they sound great. i don't own any grados. i haven't heard nor touch any grado headphones. i've only seen pictures of them and that somewhat made me stay away from them.

the reason i didn't buy any grados is because of their looks. they don't look very appealling. in fact, they look flat out ugly. if i hadn't started learning more about headphones, by the looks of the grados, i would have thought they were just some cheap $10 or $20 headphones. something that one would see bums wearing.

i know that headphones are about the sound quality. but aesthetic qualities should also be a factor in purchasing headphones. at least, that applies to me. it's hard to justify spending two or three hundred on a set of headphones that look similar to what the bums are listening.

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj
i know this will stir up quite a bit of commotion...but i want to let it off my chest anyway...so please stay calm.

many people in the forum like...hmm...more like love grado headphones. i'm sure they sound great. i don't own any grados. i haven't heard nor touch any grado headphones. i've only seen pictures of them and that somewhat made me stay away from them.

the reason i didn't buy any grados is because of their looks. they don't look very appealling. in fact, they look flat out ugly. if i hadn't started learning more about headphones, by the looks of the grados, i would have thought they were just some cheap $10 or $20 headphones. something that one would see bums wearing.

i know that headphones are about the sound quality. but aesthetic qualities should also be a factor in purchasing headphones. at least, that applies to me. it's hard to justify spending two or three hundred on a set of headphones that look similar to what the bums are listening.

I'm sorry to hear that. With that line of logic you will miss out on some of life's greatest pleasures.

At least no one will ever mistake you for a bum.

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 55
Bums listen to headphones? Hey, that must mean the standards of living are increasing...
rolleyes.gif

Looks shouldn't be the determining factor, but rather third to comfort (which is second to sound). This is strictly my own system of evaluation, though, so take it as the biased opinion it is. If looks are it for you, well, there are pretty headphones around that sound nice, too.

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 55
am i the only one who likes the look of grado headphones?

they're simple and unique ..
rs1smile.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 55
honestly, I think senns look pretty crappy, especially the 580s. Of course, the PRestige Series doesn't do it all for me either, but the aluminum chambered ones and the wood-Reference series I LOVE

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion

rs1smile.gif

youre not the only one, i love the way they look; nothing looks better than a purty HP1k
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion

rs1smile.gif

You ar not alone.

I can't think of a headphone that looks better to me. That is not why I bought them though, just a nice plus.

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #9 of 55
We all have different criteria for justifying what we purchase. Certainly youre not the only one who has this oppinion about a headphone style. Personally I agree with you and think Grados look cheap. I have learned to judge audio gear with my ears more so than my eyes. I guess thats partially why my favorite headphones (KSC75, Grados) look the way they do. I would encourage you to try and do the same... your ears will thank you for it.

It's about developing an open mind, and an open set of ears, as yo uexpose yourself to new listening experiences... EXPAND.... beyond what you see... Shut out your eyes. Literally turn them off and let your ears guide you. Its NOT an easy thing to do, but once youve mastered the skill a world of audiophile nirvana awaits.

I have more than once harassed the K701s toilet-can look's.... BUT, THAT DOESN'T MATTER... Its the sonics that count. It is on my hit list for a serious demo session, despite what my eyes tell me.

Garrett

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #10 of 55
the goal of this hobby is to enhance our listening experience and allow us to better enjoy our music. while i also think that grados are quite ugly, looks should not be a large determining factor if your ultimate goal is for sound.

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #11 of 55
I'm not particularly fond of the grado's look but I can appreciate its vintage stylings. Personally I don't really like the look of any of the Senn line but I still plan on buying a pair. I just don't plan to where them where people can see me! (i.e. about town)

Jan 23, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 55
I am glad you feel that way, because I would love to see the look on your face when you finally hear one!
tongue.gif

Grado is a family owned co. They are hand made, not from a big factory line, like Senns, and others. The magic is in the sound of them! When you hear how sweet they sound, you will understand why people listen to them. I find them very attractive, and retro looking, especially the reference series!
rs1smile.gif

Nevermind the look, just close your eyes, and melt to the sound!
icon10.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #14 of 55
think of this I wasn't pleased by how grado look ; but now that I like their sound and I've lived with them for a while, I like their look more then others'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back