grado headphones
Jan 24, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
If you don't wear your headphones out and you don't care about showing them off to others then why on earth would you care about how they look to yourself as long as they sound incredible? Which Grado's do by the way.

You ever heard the old addage "don't cut off your nose to spite your face"?

I had the same attitude as you for an entire year after joining head-fi. Thank God the HF-1 came about because it was what finally got me motivated to try a Grado. The only one that lost out was me on the time I could have had enjoying a Grado headphone but didn't allow myself because I judged a book by its cover. Sure they may not be the best looking headphones upon first glance but put some on and watch how fast they wow you.

have you bought anything that you dont like the look of it? why did you buy the HF-1? maybe it's because you like how it looks?

think of it this way: say you have a choice of 10 desks to choose from. would you just blindly choose one? or would you choose one that is to your likings? sure it's about the wood quality of the desk but you also want a desk that has a design you like. maybe you are the type of person that just blindly pick one out. but i am the type of person that wants good quality wood and a design that i like.

yes, the grado phones are on your head when you are listening to it. but where do you put it after you stop listening? on your head still? maybe you do but i put it on my desk, thus i can see the headphones.

Jan 24, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #34 of 55
While I agree with all the arguments here... I like the Grado look very much. If you don't like it, and the look being one of the deciding factors, then I don't think you're going to find many "pretty" headphones that would be suitable. Yes some people don't like the Grado look. THe sound makes up for it. I don't think you're goign to be wearing the headphones while you're at the mall or walking down the street, but at home? How about when you're done with them, put them in a drawer if you think they're that ugly.

As for picking a desk? Maybe I didn't read it correctly, but do you buy a desk that is the best looking thing around but doesnt really serve any practicality? or do you buy the desk that best suits your need?

All the responses you've gotten are expected. You're on an headphile website.

Jan 24, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj
have you bought anything that you dont like the look of it? why did you buy the HF-1? maybe it's because you like how it looks?

think of it this way: say you have a choice of 10 desks to choose from. would you just blindly choose one? or would you choose one that is to your likings? sure it's about the wood quality of the desk but you also want a desk that has a design you like. maybe you are the type of person that just blindly pick one out. but i am the type of person that wants good quality wood and a design that i like.

yes, the grado phones are on your head when you are listening to it. but where do you put it after you stop listening? on your head still? maybe you do but i put it on my desk, thus i can see the headphones.

See, I just don't think that argument flies. A desk is always in front of you, and really, it has a main purpose of looking good in your room. Not even apples to oranges. So, look. I don't know what you want to hear here, but Grados sound great. There's a reason so many people here love them. And, despite what many do call a "poor quality" about their build or design, they last a long time and come from a company with pretty good customer service. Hell, I called them once (I live down the street from them) and asked if I could get a cable on my SR60 repaired. They told me that was fine, and that they'd do it for pretty cheap while I waited. Is Sony going to do that, is Sennheiser going to do that? No way.

And hey, you really seem to forget in your original post that we've all got very aesthetic tastes. I've got a BFA in design, does that make me more qualified than you to explain how much I enjoy the design of Grado headphones? No, because you're entitled to your oppinion. I just don't think you're going to find many here who agree with you.

Jan 24, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion
am i the only one who likes the look of grado headphones?

they're simple and unique ..
rs1smile.gif

I like Grado's look, they are strangely old-fashion, and the mohogany Rs-1/2 are so damn good looking in "real life".

But probably the best looking Grados are the "old" HP1/2.

bye
Andrew

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #37 of 55
I think Grados look great.
In the real world, the fold-flat functionality is useful too.
And they sound great.
And once they've been worn daily for a month or so, the bowls have softened up a bit, and one has bent the headband a touch for optimum cranium/earlobe/pad fit they actually start to get very comfortable.

Jan 24, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano

bye
Andrew

I like enormously the look of mine , from the very first day they came here ..
they look like : surgery instruments for curing ears pleasure

Jan 24, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #39 of 55
I think that grados are beautiful........though I've never seen one in person
frown.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Bums listen to headphones? Hey, that must mean the standards of living are increasing...
rolleyes.gif

Having just been in Manhattan over the weekend I can say that the bums DO wear headphones now. It's kind of scary.

Jan 25, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
yep
I like enormously the look of mine , from the very first day they came here ..
they look like : surgery instruments for curing ears pleasure

And probably one of the best-sounding Grado ever made... do you have the HP-2 with the flat-pads (as they were intended originally)?

I hope to find one HP1/2, one day...
smily_headphones1.gif

bye
Andrew

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #42 of 55
I love the looks of my 325i.The gold cups and its fatboy looks.I guess its just a matter of taste.

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #43 of 55
Headphones are headphones... I rarely see anyone wearing them anyway and when I do, I think more about the appropriateness of the situation (like, are they wearing them in their car while driving?) than what they look like. Headphones all look pretty much alike from a distance. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the way Grados look; they look like headphones. I prefer that to something gaudy or ultramodern-looking. I find the AKG701's to be downright ugly, if you ask me. It wouldn't prevent me from wearing them, though!

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #44 of 55
I seem to like the aluminum housing of grados like MS2i,HP-2 better than wood or plastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
I like Grado's look, they are strangely old-fashion, and the mohogany Rs-1/2 are so damn good looking in "real life".

bye
Andrew

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #45 of 55
As others have said the Grado look is definitely not its strong suit. But if you do listen to them and develop a taste for their presentation you'll gradually change your mind about their esthetics.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back