grado headphones
Jan 23, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj
i know this will stir up quite a bit of commotion...but i want to let it off my chest anyway...so please stay calm.

many people in the forum like...hmm...more like love grado headphones. i'm sure they sound great. i don't own any grados. i haven't heard nor touch any grado headphones. i've only seen pictures of them and that somewhat made me stay away from them.

the reason i didn't buy any grados is because of their looks. they don't look very appealling. in fact, they look flat out ugly. if i hadn't started learning more about headphones, by the looks of the grados, i would have thought they were just some cheap $10 or $20 headphones. something that one would see bums wearing.

i know that headphones are about the sound quality. but aesthetic qualities should also be a factor in purchasing headphones. at least, that applies to me. it's hard to justify spending two or three hundred on a set of headphones that look similar to what the bums are listening.

And hey, you know what? I'm totally cool with people thinking that I'm wearing $10 headphones. But, beyond that, I really LIKE the way they look. But hey, since you want people to know you've got the cash and wanna show that you "love the hi-fis" enough to drop $150 of the dollars, I think the Apple store has been saving a pair of Tri-ports for you.

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #18 of 55
BTW don't knock the cheap 20 buck headphones that the bums wear either. They go shopping at the Rat Shack and pick up a pair of KSC-75s and are far happier than many of the folks who pay more for looks!

And for the record, it's not a bad thing to walk around NYC without fear of getting mugged because no one wants to swipe your Grados
icon10.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
BTW don't knock the cheap 20 buck headphones that the bums wear either. They go shopping at the Rat Shack and pick up a pair of KSC-75s and are far happier than many of the folks who pay more for looks!

And for the record, it's not a bad thing to walk around NYC without fear of getting mugged because no one wants to swipe your Grados
icon10.gif

Testify!

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #20 of 55
Personally, I love the retro look of Grado. I also love the fact that they're homogenous, to an extent--all of their cans look alike. You can spot a Grado far away. From an art/design standpoint, I know that a lot of my fellow art-school grads love my RS-1's. In fact, my illustrator friend can't keep his friggin' hands off of my RS-1's whenever he visits.
rs1smile.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #21 of 55
I would like to echo the zen advice of closing your eyes and all that. Man am I poetic. I agree they look cheap, but love the retro look. The sound of my hf-1s occationally make me pump my fist (yip, nerd).

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #22 of 55
Unless you're incredibly self-involved, I'm guessing you don't listen to your headphones in front of a mirror. Who the hell cares what they look like when you're not using them, especially since you can just put them away, and you don't have to look at them when you are using them, so what's the problem.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

That said, I think my Grados are sessy as hell... though I'm more than a little biased.

Jan 23, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #23 of 55
I almost didn't buy the Senn PX 100 because they look so cheap (even for $39.99). And they're not exactly the coolest looking phones either, with 2 rows of 1/2 inch thick foam under the top side and stupid looking 2-toned "car rim" like covers.

And I figured, "sure they'll sound better than the Ipod ear buds, but so will any under $20 headphone!".

So glad I bought them anyway. I still can't believe the rich, full, balanced sound that comes out of these headphones. They sound leagues ahead of other equally priced (and more expensive) phones. And they're so comfortable, I forget I'm wearing them.

As for the Grados? I think they look great! They certainly stand out.

Sure looks matter, to a certain extent. But ultimately: sound > looks, anyday.

Jan 23, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

i know this will stir up quite a bit of commotion...but i want to let it off my chest anyway...so please stay calm.

many people in the forum like...hmm...more like love grado headphones. i'm sure they sound great. i don't own any grados. i haven't heard nor touch any grado headphones. i've only seen pictures of them and that somewhat made me stay away from them.

the reason i didn't buy any grados is because of their looks. they don't look very appealling. in fact, they look flat out ugly. if i hadn't started learning more about headphones, by the looks of the grados, i would have thought they were just some cheap $10 or $20 headphones. something that one would see bums wearing.

i know that headphones are about the sound quality. but aesthetic qualities should also be a factor in purchasing headphones. at least, that applies to me. it's hard to justify spending two or three hundred on a set of headphones that look similar to what the bums are listening.

Thanks for sharing that
rolleyes.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #25 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
But hey, since you want people to know you've got the cash and wanna show that you "love the hi-fis" enough to drop $150 of the dollars, I think the Apple store has been saving a pair of Tri-ports for you.

NOTICE: i said aesthetics quality of a headphone should also be a consideration in purchasing phones. I am NOT saying it's the only factor. and i certainly wouldn't put that above comfort and sound quality.

i don't think people buy headphones to show off how much cash they have. at least i don't cux i don't even walk around town with headphones on. i use my headphones strictly in my room. no one can see them but myself. My point is it's hard to justify spending so much cash on something that looks so cheap.

it's kind of like buying a watch. you want functionality out of them and at the same time you want them to look aesthetically pleasing to you. how can you justify buying a $5000 watch when it looks like something you found in the dumpster?

so mercuttio, please read MORE CAREFULLY of what people wrote before making any assumptions of your own!!!

Jan 24, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #26 of 55
I miss my RS-1
frown.gif

Personally, I prefer the look of the Sennheisers. The build quality and design of Grado is just less than that of the Senns (HD-580+). The Senn's have that constant state of build quality that Grado lacks.

Now the sound is what matters. I've heard a few RS-1's that had different build quality, but sound the same. Same goes with the MS-1.

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #27 of 55
Personally I think if looks were everything Grado's and woody DT-770/990 would be king. Thankfully Grado's also sound great.

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

NOTICE: i said aesthetics quality of a headphone should also be a consideration in purchasing phones. I am NOT saying it's the only factor. and i certainly wouldn't put that above comfort and sound quality.

i don't think people buy headphones to show off how much cash they have. at least i don't cux i don't even walk around town with headphones on. i use my headphones strictly in my room. no one can see them but myself. My point is it's hard to justify spending so much cash on something that looks so cheap.

it's kind of like buying a watch. you want functionality out of them and at the same time you want them to look aesthetically pleasing to you. how can you justify buying a $5000 watch when it looks like something you found in the dumpster?

so mercuttio, please read MORE CAREFULLY of what people wrote before making any assumptions of your own!!!

If you don't wear your headphones out and you don't care about showing them off to others then why on earth would you care about how they look to yourself as long as they sound incredible? Which Grado's do by the way.

You ever heard the old addage "don't cut off your nose to spite your face"?

I had the same attitude as you for an entire year after joining head-fi. Thank God the HF-1 came about because it was what finally got me motivated to try a Grado. The only one that lost out was me on the time I could have had enjoying a Grado headphone but didn't allow myself because I judged a book by its cover. Sure they may not be the best looking headphones upon first glance but put some on and watch how fast they wow you.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #29 of 55
i'm just curious, but which headphone would you consider it as a "good looking" one?

i think the grados look great, they look better than most of the other brands.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I miss my RS-1
frown.gif

Personally, I prefer the look of the Sennheisers. The build quality and design of Grado is just less than that of the Senns (HD-580+). The Senn's have that constant state of build quality that Grado lacks.

Now the sound is what matters. I've heard a few RS-1's that had different build quality, but sound the same. Same goes with the MS-1.

I love your RS-1s saturnine =)

Personally, I think the SR-60s look like crap, but the RS-1s .. wow. Theres just something about the wood housing that's really nice...

<-- happy camper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back