Grado headbands?
Sep 30, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #46 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
Here's mine:

1128098127_hf_1.jpg

The leather headband (swapped from my 325i's before I sold them) is much more comfortable than the plastic headband they came with, and I'm glad things worked out where I could do this.

I swapped but I swapped back...becase I find the 325i headband is too narrow and I didn't like the pressure it exerts on my head....strange..but a RS1 type headband would certainly rock.

Sep 30, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #47 of 88
I love this thread, on Tuesday (9/27) I called Grado to inquire about a leather headband. I was told I had to send my cans and they would replace the band for $25.00. The problem arose when I told them it would be on my SR-125 and not on my RS-1 which then I was told no.

As you can see it would get very expensive +/-$50.00 for the headband when you include the S&H in both directions.

Sep 30, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #49 of 88
This is a coincidence. For the last two days I was heavily considering obtaining a RS-1 headband for my MS2i. The RS-1 headband is much sturdier. But as someone stated above, this would be a challenge because one would have to send the headphones to Grado.

Why would Grado be so stingy with their headbands
confused.gif
It has been noted that the RA-1 became a problem, but I fail to see the relevance with a headband. The next step Grado will take is to have consumers mail in their Cans to swap ear pads!

Sep 30, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #50 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi

confused.gif
It has been noted that the RA-1 became a problem, but I fail to see the relevance with a headband. The next step Grado will take is to have consumers mail in their Cans to swap ear pads!

Someone please tell me that they are refraining from commenting because they don't want to flame... (I am) haha.

Sep 30, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #51 of 88
Quote:

This is a coincidence. For the last two days I was heavily considering obtaining a RS-1 headband for my MS2i. The RS-1 headband is much sturdier. But as someone stated above, this would be a challenge because one would have to send the headphones to Grado.

confused.gif

I'm guessing John wants to maintain the original ingetrity of the released design.... Doesn't want cross breeders doing what we want to
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
.... RS-1 headband on an SR60 for example.

If you want any part of the RS-1, we have to buy one in its entirety.

Im not sure what the marketing / business strategy is behind this mentality? But its certainly not unique to Grado. That is why Sony MDR SA1000 drivers are over $150 each... they dont want us transplanting them around.

I was just hoping John might consider a special exceptioon for the headfi HF-1 community.

Garrett

Sep 30, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #52 of 88
Quote:

I was heavily considering obtaining a RS-1 headband for my MS2i.

Doesn't the MS2 have a leather headband as well? I thought it was just like the regular vinyl one but leather instead..

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #53 of 88
someone should buy an rs1. then take the headband off, send it to grado for a new band. every time you get it back, just remove the headband, sell it, and send the cans back for another headband.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #54 of 88
I got a reply from Grado Labs. Seems they are a bit confused.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Sorry, that will not work on the older models.
Thank you.

Grado Labs

So I sent them another email.

Quote:

Older models? I’m talking about the new HF-1 not the Joseph Grado HP-1. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136175

So we'll see how it goes.

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #55 of 88
Are they oblivious as to what is right now going on inside their own factory?
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #56 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
I got a reply from Grado Labs. Seems they are a bit confused.
tongue.gif

So I sent them another email.

So we'll see how it goes.

I can understand them NOT wanting to transplant every SR60 / 80... that would be an inventory management nightmare.

I'm wondering if they (John) would be willing to make an exception for us here with the HF1?

We'll see!!!
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #57 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdread
Doesn't the MS2 have a leather headband as well? I thought it was just like the regular vinyl one but leather instead..

There are at least three current variations of headbands according to my understanding. Ther vinyl ones (up to SR225), the leatherish one (SR325/MS2), and the wider leather one (RS1). I'm actually not sure what headband the RS2 has. But the SR325/MS2 one is pleather and slightly padded, but RS1 is considerably wider.

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #58 of 88
I just got off the phone with Grado Labs. I asked them If i could send them in to be upgraded and they said simply "Sorry, we don't do that". Oh well looks like the beyer headband will have to do.

Sep 30, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #60 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
There are at least three current variations of headbands according to my understanding. Ther vinyl ones (up to SR225), the leatherish one (SR325/MS2), and the wider leather one (RS1). I'm actually not sure what headband the RS2 has. But the SR325/MS2 one is pleather and slightly padded, but RS1 is considerably wider.

There apparantly is a fourth variation. The replacement leather headband I got directly from Grado a couple of months ago has the width and shape of the RS-1/RS-2 headband but has no (or little?) padding. The leather also was rather stiff.

As to why Grado is "stingy" with their leather headbands, i'm guessing there maybe a limited supply or they simply don't want to deal with the massive flood of phone calls/emails to rectify what is essentially a minor cosmetic and ergonomic issue. Again, just my guess and opinion.

In my case, I needed a new headband/assembly for my SR-60 because one of the C-shaped plastic pieces was broken. I figured while I was at it, I might as well get a leather one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back