Grado headbands?
Sep 30, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #31 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
Anyhow, I managed to get a new SR-325 leather headband and assembly for my SR-60 for $45 shipped directly from Grado. I'll leave it to your imagination how I pulled this off, heh-heh.

Aw, come on! Don't be a Butt-Head!!
icon10.gif
Fill us in, would ya?

I don't see what the big deal is with selling the leather headband assemblies to the public. You just price the assembly to cover your handling costs and profit margin. It's not like they'd get swamped with orders. Fifty or so Head-Fi'ers would call and then the frenzy would be over.

Sep 30, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #32 of 88
Neil Pert had a thread some time ago about up-grading Grado headbands. He had replaced the cheesy vinyl one on his SR225 for a RS2 OEM replacement one. This started a flood of calls to Grado Labs of others wanting to do the same thing. Evidentially John Grado didn't like the idea, and nix'ed the whole thing. Neil had posted photos of his SR-225's with the leather headbands, and it sure improved the look.

It's a shame that John won't make these available, at an optional price to those who want something a little better for their valued Grados. Pride of ownership is an important thing in marketing a product. . . . . I guess this opens the door for a whole new cottage industry, like Larry does with his "woodie mods". Custom Grado headbands, hand tooled, etc. Anyone out there who is accomplished in leather crafts, and wants a side gig? . . . . Maybe Tandy Leather will produce a kit for us headphone hobbyists.

- augustwest

Sep 30, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #33 of 88
What if a 3rd party (someone reputable, like TTVJ did for the HF-1) collected the orders. Then nobody would bother Grado directly, they would just get one call for like 50 bands and it would be a one time thing, or a yearly thing.

The other idea is to find somewhere that will custom make leather headband replicas for us.

Sep 30, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #35 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdread
What if a 3rd party (someone reputable, like TTVJ did for the HF-1) collected the orders.

This would be the best way to handle it if Grado doesn't want to deal directly with the public. Todd has a unique relationship with Grado as it is, so perhaps someone could persuade him to approach John about the idea. Todd is already the exclusive distributor of the original Grado flat pads, why not replacement leather headband assemblies too?

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #41 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
This just happened two days ago. I was listening to the MS1 and suddenly the right driver housing just dropped off.

I had that happen to my SR80's and my roommate had his SR125's do the same thing. The solution I came up with is to use some JB Weld applied both into the plastic hole and on the metal part of the band, making sure the hole on the metal band is filled. After fitting them together, cleaning off the excess, and allowing it to sit over night, the headphones seemed as solid as ever and I personaly have no fear of it happening again (at least to the side I repaired).

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #42 of 88
Here's mine:

1128098127_hf_1.jpg

The leather headband (swapped from my 325i's before I sold them) is much more comfortable than the plastic headband they came with, and I'm glad things worked out where I could do this.

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #43 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I was thinking about replacing the entire assembly. Headband with the "L" and "R" on it, and swap the entire thing. Im assuming the connecting rods slide right out when you remove the rubber end caps.
???

Garrett

Actually, I think the assembly includes everything but the drivers/housings. You spread the prongs so the short pegs come clear, then insert on the new headband.

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #44 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
Here's mine:

The leather headband (swapped from my 325i's before I sold them)

Man I hope the person you sold to was ok with getting a plastic headband with those 325's
eek.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #45 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdread
Man I hope the person you sold to was ok with getting a plastic headband with those 325's
eek.gif

It was very clear in the ad that they would be receiving them with the HF-1's headband, and the price was adjusted so I'm sure he was OK with it!
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back