Grado GS1000i vs Grado RS1i
Mar 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MrAwesome

New Head-Fier
I currently have the AKG K701 and was thinking of getting another pair of phones, 

Here They are side by side compared in specs
http://head-phones.findthebest.com/compare/115-117/Grado-GS1000i-vs-Grado-RS2i#

My question is what sounds better?   

The Headphone Amp I use is a cMoyBB v2.03R 2x9. Recommended for portable use of 120+ ohm headphones.

The source is a Ipod Classic 7th generation via FiiO L3 Line Out Dock with Apple Lossles (1400+ kbps) 

Is the GS1000i really worth the price compared to the RS1i ? 

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 16
The GS1000 is more bassier with wider soundstage and clarity in midrange and highs are almost same on both.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 16
I owned the GS-1000 and RS-1 at the same time, I sold the GS-1000. IMO the RS-1 is the better sounding phone but the GS-1000 has a big following among classical music fans because of its wide sound stage. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 16

Buy a PS1000 and watch your K701 gather dust
smile.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 16
My two favourite John Grado headphones are the HF-2s (haven't heard the PS500, but they measure very closely) and the RS1/RS1i. I wasn't a huge fan of the "U" shaped GS1000s. While the PS1000s were better than the GS1000s, I'd still take the RS1s. YMMV.

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 16

Really comes down to what you value between these two criteria

Sound stage depth and width versus a really nice and forward mids presentation.

If it's the former and you want a different flavor on the K701 then the GS1000i is the answer
 whilst if it's the latter and you'd like a very different sound signature with a sophisticated mid bass hump
 and nice forward vocals - RS1i.

As for the highs - there is no question that my PS1000 has the RS1i beat in that department, they're
 airier and more detailed - never harsh.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 16
I love my AKG 701 because they are perfect for Beatles songs, since they hardly use any distortion. Most of there recordings have fine detail and instruments that is fun to hear. Plus the sound stage is great. The reason why I want Grado is because I want more of a Hard Rock Headphones, that involves tons of bass,distortion, crazy synthesizer, crazy drums, loud noise! My AKG 701 cannon't handle some of my J-rock songs becauase of how intense and upbeat the songs are. I want Grados that can handle that.   I want the headphones that will give me the best instrument detail and seperation, but I want that IN YOUR FACE sound, with a good sound stage and clearity. I'm still having trouble.

[size=x-small]So based off what you guys are saying  choice between the Grado RS1i or the PS1000 what would sound better too my needs? and is the GS1000i out of the question? [/size]

Mar 29, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
I love my AKG 701 because they are perfect for Beatles songs, since they hardly use any distortion. Most of there recordings have fine detail and instruments that is fun to hear. Plus the sound stage is great. The reason why I want Grado is because I want more of a Hard Rock Headphones, that involves tons of bass,distortion, crazy synthesizer, crazy drums, loud noise! My AKG 701 cannon't handle some of my J-rock songs becauase of how intense and upbeat the songs are. I want Grados that can handle that.   I want the headphones that will give me the best instrument detail and seperation, but I want that IN YOUR FACE sound, with a good sound stage and clearity. I'm still having trouble.

[size=x-small]So based off what you guys are saying  choice between the Grado RS1i or the PS1000 what would sound better too my needs? and is the GS1000i out of the question? [/size]

Sounds like the RS1i is for you mate in my opinion.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 16
If you are still considering what to buy, I would respectfully offer that you consider the PS500's. I have and love RS1i's and Hifiman HE500's, and just got a pair of PS500's. I specifically requested the demo pair from the store to assure that any breakin necessary would be done or at least well on its way...

These rock! Very upfront while not harsh, and they bring out detail very well. I have thoroughly evaluated them using Evanescence and Trans-Siberian Orchestra and they do a great job with complex  layering.   Good luck and good listening!

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 16
what about getting a pair of custom magnums:)

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 16
Thank you - all of you for helping me choosing between the RS1i and GS1000i. 

I am huge fan of Quad electrostatics, and really love the "clean sound". However, after trying the GS1000i and PS1000 i really was never convinced. They are really nice on classical music just like electrostatics. However, I do like opera - and the vocals are really, in my opinion, much better on the RS1i vs. GS1000i. It is like the music is not "alive" on the GS1000i - with exception of pure classical music (preferable when listing for several hours - the design is very comfortable).  

Furthermore, rock, jazz and pop music is considerable better on RS1i. In my opinion is it not even comparable.

I wonder - if you consider to pursue the pure and clean sound - why not purchase a pair of electrostatic head phones?

Please not that i have only tried the phones a few hours (demo versions). I will come back with a better review when i have received the Mapletree ear+hd amp.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Either choice you make, I think you will be pretty happy.

I listen to a lot of Beatles on my RS1i and it sounds fantastic...I have not heard the GS1000i, but I hope to some day.

May 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 16
I had the GS1000i and currently have the RS1i and the PS500. The RS1i i use out a Mapletree Ear+ Super II. This is my favorite set up for most of what I listen: jazz, rock, folk, indie. I like the closeness, the on-the-stage feeling. Besides, the tubes helps loosen the highs without taking out the details. Very dynamic HP, miles ahead - IMO of course - of the GS1000i that had a better soundstage I agree but not much more ( I don't listen to classical music ). The PS500 I use direct through my DAC/Pre, they are very good for ECM jazz, women voices, acoustic music. I'd say it really depends what you are looking for... Want to rock, be right there with the musicians? RS1i is the one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back