Grado GS-2000e
May 27, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #79 of 114
Did some amp rolling and found the GS-2Ke has great OTL amp synergy like the original GS-1K has ,this is not the case with PS-1K/e,GS-1Ke/i and other top Grados i prefer them with good SS amps.I use now OTL 300B amp with GS2Ke and it's probably the most lifelike presentation ever.Even my Stax 009/HD-800 set up doesn't reach this airy lifelike feeling.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #80 of 114
May be this GS2000e will be the opportunity to get my first Grado ? ... And to finaly hear the famous " Grado sound" :wink:

PS: can a HUGO or MOJO drive a GS2000 resonably well ?

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #81 of 114
I'm guessing the Mojo can drive any grado well.

Two questions:
1) $170 for balanced! Yikes. Any reason one cannot just reterminate the cable?

2) Anyone post any measurements of the gs-2000e?

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #82 of 114
  I'm guessing the Mojo can drive any grado well.

Two questions:
1) $170 for balanced! Yikes. Any reason one cannot just reterminate the cable?

2) Anyone post any measurements of the gs-2000e?

It can drive my GH-1s and PS1000e's without breaking a sweat! 

1.) I have tried several Grado's reterminated into balanced with my GS-X Mk2 (along with the TH-900s, D7000s). And very efficient / low impedance headphones like these don't really benefit much from balanced operation. I personally wouldn't go that route (and I own a GS-X Mk2). Orthos or headphones like the Sennheiser HD800/HD800S or beyerdynamics T1 do benefit quite a bit going that way with my amp.

2.) Still likely a bit too early.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #83 of 114
I hope to be able to hear it at CanJan London.  Expecially with the WA8 !

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #84 of 114
Not a negative response - you just raised a classic issue. As a former user of Koetsu phono cartridges - and their "opposite" - I played, like many fanatics, with the rosewood, the magic-sap painted allows, the ceramic, the naked. Lots of room speakers that were made and marketed with "rare woods", whether for status or accuracy or both, I never knew, except for what I heard.  The best rosewood cartridges never seemed to differ in terms of loss or corruption of accuracy from the metal. My PS1000e, is, though much fuller and more controlled in sound than the wood GS1000e I have. But I see that as more likely the large factor of a whole second layer of construction than the fact that that layer is metal. The things WEIGH twice as much as the GS1000e, so there is a gross factor affecting sound. My Proac Response speakers were much deeper and more articulate in sound than the empty-port models because of the high-surface-area effect of the Response version. I think.  I prefer to look at a good design, especially in things that have to deal with lots of resonances, in a holistic way - the dynamic of the whole unit. I never thought rules of thumb applied. Unless it is crass, elitist marketing (i.e. kill rare trees for audio bragging value), it always seemed, in the listing experience, to be a matter of how the elements work together. I had expensive, plastic-cased tiny-gauge-cabled DNM electronics, tubes, big solid state with painful heat sinks - and it was always a matter of synergy and compatibility. my ears have been measurably pretty good at detecting lab-measurable e.g. frequency variations in components - but at the high-end of things, most of what I've heard has genuinely, musically, seemed to reflect what the designer intended. I don't see pleasure-based items as needing to fulfill lab-type "accuracy" requirements, except that an obviously skewed sonic signature is, well, obvious. The Audeze, for example or VERY different from the Grados, but both are first rate and real-sounding. But this is experience and philosophy, not technical measurement. I'd love to hear what you think.

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #85 of 114
Dear friends of Grado: I now already have the PS 500e and thinking about getting the GS 2000e. Would that make a huge difference or just a small change of the Grado house sound? Thanks in advance.

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #86 of 114
  Not a negative response - you just raised a classic issue. As a former user of Koetsu phono cartridges - and their "opposite" - I played, like many fanatics, with the rosewood, the magic-sap painted allows, the ceramic, the naked. Lots of room speakers that were made and marketed with "rare woods", whether for status or accuracy or both, I never knew, except for what I heard.  The best rosewood cartridges never seemed to differ in terms of loss or corruption of accuracy from the metal. My PS1000e, is, though much fuller and more controlled in sound than the wood GS1000e I have. But I see that as more likely the large factor of a whole second layer of construction than the fact that that layer is metal. The things WEIGH twice as much as the GS1000e, so there is a gross factor affecting sound. My Proac Response speakers were much deeper and more articulate in sound than the empty-port models because of the high-surface-area effect of the Response version. I think.  I prefer to look at a good design, especially in things that have to deal with lots of resonances, in a holistic way - the dynamic of the whole unit. I never thought rules of thumb applied. Unless it is crass, elitist marketing (i.e. kill rare trees for audio bragging value), it always seemed, in the listing experience, to be a matter of how the elements work together. I had expensive, plastic-cased tiny-gauge-cabled DNM electronics, tubes, big solid state with painful heat sinks - and it was always a matter of synergy and compatibility. my ears have been measurably pretty good at detecting lab-measurable e.g. frequency variations in components - but at the high-end of things, most of what I've heard has genuinely, musically, seemed to reflect what the designer intended. I don't see pleasure-based items as needing to fulfill lab-type "accuracy" requirements, except that an obviously skewed sonic signature is, well, obvious. The Audeze, for example or VERY different from the Grados, but both are first rate and real-sounding. But this is experience and philosophy, not technical measurement. I'd love to hear what you think.

I can only comment that I have PS1000E and LCD-X, and I find enjoyment in both.

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #87 of 114
As you should. That's the point. Both are musical instruments built according to the tastes and values of their builders. I like Gibson and Fender, Ludwig and Sonor, Selmer and Yamaha (yeah, Yamaha), Stradivarius and Guarneri (never had a chance to try those, wouldn't know how - the others I know. I really dislike the elitism of brand loyalty, especially in something as meaningful as music.

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #88 of 114
Just joint the 2000e club. Got it this afternoon here in HK. From first sound it's a sweet Grado house sound in wood. I got the HD800 S lass then 6 weeks ago and after playing it day and night it's still too sharp sounding. Not the 2Ke. With both the Mojo and the Dragonfly RED it's very kind to the ears. I think after 300 hours this will be a very good TOTL sounding headphone. Now, let's rock and roll, keeping it in my suitcase overnight playing LOUD.

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #89 of 114
Just joint the 2000e club. Got it this afternoon here in HK. From first sound it's a sweet Grado house sound in wood. I got the HD800 S lass then 6 weeks ago and after playing it day and night it's still too sharp sounding. Not the 2Ke. With both the Mojo and the Dragonfly RED it's very kind to the ears. I think after 300 hours this will be a very good TOTL sounding headphone. Now, let's rock and roll, keeping it in my suitcase overnight playing LOUD.

Have you experienced any changes in the treble after more burn-in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back